Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2012

Silvia Bluejay

My opinion is coloured by the godawful Clutterbuckery that took place on the Saturday of the last one (I gather it was better noise regulated on the Sunday). I am more likely to go if a bunch of BC mates are there so will check nearer the time (it's only 10 minutes from where I live so I have the luxury of not having to worry about travel)

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1320312574' post='1425055']
If i had a cheap enough way to get to London and back i would. I'll have to see what i can do. Same as TorVic, it will be my first one.

Liam
[/quote]

Agree with this + 1000. Its just too expensive to get 200+ miles to London by car or train.

Otherwise I would dearly love to go for a looksee.

Edited by daz

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1320437108' post='1426990']
My opinion is coloured by the godawful Clutterbuckery that took place on the Saturday of the last one (I gather it was better noise regulated on the Sunday). I am more likely to go if a bunch of BC mates are there so will check nearer the time (it's only 10 minutes from where I live so I have the luxury of not having to worry about travel)
[/quote]
It was better on the sunday, they had "quiet periods" which gave everyone a break from mr machine gun clusterf**k! He seems like a really nice guy to chat to, but as soon as the bass is on then he's like a man possessed!! He was at a stand just across from the rotosound stand when i arrived last year, and i had tthe pleasure of being caught in the crossfire as he cranked the amp to within an inch of it's life!! :)

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1320320089' post='1425207']
Is the special guests line-up exactly the same as last year or have they just not confirmed and updated the website? Hope TM Stevens is there again, his performance on the sunday afternoon last year was awesome!!
[/quote]

Absolutely agree..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1320751427' post='1430775']
Absolutely agree..
[/quote]
I had my wife with me as we were already in London that weekend, she does show an interest in all things bass just because it's my passion, but even she thought TM was brilliant. He's such an entertainer, you had Mr Clusterf**k doing all that 1,000mph w***ery in the main hall, then TM comes into the audiotorium, lays down the simplest of funk grooves and every bassist in the room gives an approving nod and smile as if to say "now THIS is what we came to see"!!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1320750732' post='1430767']
Somebody should give Clusterfck an Ashdown. It would be only ten minutes before the thing catches fire.
[/quote]

yep like it did last Sunday to Mr Wobble. :)

I did notice it was Nigel Clutterbuck who leaped to the rescue and 'roadied' him a new amp and quickly dialed it in.

It went something like this.................

Wobble: enters stage right.
Crowd: Hurrah
Wobble: "Do you like me bass ? I nicked this off a Dutch geezer"
Crowd: "ho ho"
Wobble: "no i did really"
Wobble: lauches into 'Public Image' riff
Crowd: " you are ace"
Wobble: "there's nothing better than an open E string"
Wobble: TWANG!! (entire building vibrates, lamps explode, optics smash, ladies faint, weak men cry, etc etc
Ashdown amp: "[b]Kerr bang[/b]!"
Wobble: " This happens to me all the time. I dunno why ?"
Nigel: [i]leaps into the fray and without a thought for his own safety, daringly unplugs the dead Ashdown in one deft flick of the wrist.[/i]
Wobble: " Now then. I want a bit more in me wedges, i wanna feel in in me guts"
Nigel: [i]fiddles about, unplug, plug, dial, dial flicks switch, etc etc[/i]
Wobble: "yeah in me guts, thats better"
Crowd: " hurrah for Nigel"
Wobble [i]thinks; Hmm ? better give Niges firm a plug?[/i]
"Rotosound Tru Bass strings, nylon outer with a solid steel core"

Edited by daz

• 2 weeks later...

[center][u][size=4]I have an announcement to make. [/size][/u][/center]

[size=4]I have been reliably informed that if i book a month ahead, that I can get a train ticket to London for under £20[/size]

[size=4]If this is correct then Daz [i]will [/i]be going to the London bass show. [/size]

[size=4]If i become famous between now and then, I will [i]not [/i]be signing autographs, but may pose for photographs [size=3] (for a[i] consideration)[/i][/size][/size]

[size=4]Anyone wanting to accompany me on the journey let me know. If, as expected their is an over subscription, I will draw just ten names out of my top hat [i]. [/i][/size]

Seriously though I didnt know you could get train tickets for that cheap. A normal day return to London/Chester is maybe £250 so its a huge difference. I know you can get coach tickets a lot cheaper, but i loathe coach travel. ( Its mainly for peasants, students who dont have Mumsy and Daddy to buy them a car and a weekly petrol allowance, and chavettes who are too thin. I'd rather Walk.)

I love the train but cant afford it these days. Sitting back for a long journey with a book and a few cans is luxury for me. The journey along the south devon coast was a favourite. If you timed it right at high tide and a storm blowing in, the train would get properly bufetted by the sea as it flew along the top of the sea wall at Dawlish. You also used to get ticket collectors who would let you go into first class, and annoy the snobs just by exsisting in their air space. But they are all jobsworths these days. :)

At that rate I might just go to the London [url="http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/leonardo-da-vinci-painter-at-the-court-of-milan"]Leonardo Da Vinci exhibition at The National Gallery [/url]as well :)

[size=4](ooh when i read this back I had a weird deja vu, and then a deja vu of me realising it was a deja vu. That must be significant. I am now determined to go to the show, even if the train ticket is as much as £25)[/size]

Edited by daz

• 4 weeks later...

According to this months bass guitar magazine TM Stevens is going to be there again. It's not mentioned on the LBGS page near the front of the mag, but there's a TM ad near the back which says he'll be there. If that the case, then i'll definitely be there, his performance on the sunday this year was awesome!

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1322144197' post='1447148']
[center][u][size=4]I have an announcement to make. [/size][/u][/center]

[size=4]I have been reliably informed that if i book a month ahead, that I can get a train ticket to London for under £20[/size]

[size=4]If this is correct then Daz [i]will [/i]be going to the London bass show. [/size]

[size=4]If i become famous between now and then, I will [i]not [/i]be signing autographs, but may pose for photographs [size=3] (for a[i] consideration)[/i][/size][/size]

[size=4]Anyone wanting to accompany me on the journey let me know. If, as expected their is an over subscription, I will draw just ten names out of my top hat [i]. [/i][/size]

Seriously though I didnt know you could get train tickets for that cheap. A normal day return to London/Chester is maybe £250 so its a huge difference. I know you can get coach tickets a lot cheaper, but i loathe coach travel. ( Its mainly for peasants, students who dont have Mumsy and Daddy to buy them a car and a weekly petrol allowance, and chavettes who are too thin. I'd rather Walk.)

I love the train but cant afford it these days. Sitting back for a long journey with a book and a few cans is luxury for me. The journey along the south devon coast was a favourite. If you timed it right at high tide and a storm blowing in, the train would get properly bufetted by the sea as it flew along the top of the sea wall at Dawlish. You also used to get ticket collectors who would let you go into first class, and annoy the snobs just by exsisting in their air space. But they are all jobsworths these days. :mellow:

At that rate I might just go to the London [url="http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/leonardo-da-vinci-painter-at-the-court-of-milan"]Leonardo Da Vinci exhibition at The National Gallery [/url]as well :)

[size=4](ooh when i read this back I had a weird deja vu, and then a deja vu of me realising it was a deja vu. That must be significant. I am now determined to go to the show, even if the train ticket is as much as £25)[/size]
[/quote]

What a beautiful post, Daz. I hope you'll come along and meet us.

The Leonardo exhibition usually requires queueing in the morning for the daily allocation of non-prebooked tickets. I think normal booking is sold out.

• 2 weeks later...

From the [url="http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com/latest-news.html"]news section on the LBGS website[/url]

- Neil Murray and Tony Butler to give masterclasses
- Andrew Levy (Brand New Heavies)
- Jon Thorne to deliver masterclass
- TM Stevens back by popular demand

Not sure if I can make it but would like to see Neil Murray and Tony Butler.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1325341302' post='1482298']
Actually I think we should organise a place and time for us to meet up at the show and/or after it. We'll think about it in more detail a couple of weeks before it starts.
In the meantime, a happy new year to all!
[/quote]

Now that seems like the start of a plan. Happy New Year.