Why become a member? ×

'68 Telebass – One Sad Story

q_of_doom

I thought I'd share this sad story.

A few months ago I noticed a 1968 Telecaster bass for sale on Gumtree Cape Town. The price and the fact that there wasn't a pic attached should've alerted me that I wasn't exactly about to pick up a closet classic.

The pics should give you an idea of the horror, but basically, someone decided that whatever Leo Fender tried to do with the original P-bass wasn't quite good enough, so they got working with powertools to "enhance" the guitar's curves and repaint it in a horrible sticky varnish. The result is a crime against the bass community.

On the upside, the bass sounded fantastic! It's loud compared to both my '64 P-bass (another rescue) and '83 Jazz bass and the tone drips sixties Fender honey. Most of the parts were still intact save for the string ferrules, which were squared off by the eager powertool torture and the original input jack. Oh and the pick guard was long gone, but that's not uncommon on these and the thumbrest had joined the realms of the non-existent. The original pickup cover, however, came along in the original case.

I found original string ferrules on eBay for £21 and a jack dish from a '54 Fender Lapsteel for £8. The Bass cost me £555. I'm still looking for a pickguard, which is tricky since they came in two or more versions and rare as hen's teeth as well as a tug bar (thumbrest) about which I will post questions later.

I've sent her to Johannesburg to be lovingly restored by Andy McGibbon, who does the amazing things with vintage guitars. The work is likely to cost as much as the bass itself, if not slightly more, but that's still a bargain considering the tone.

I've decided to have her restored to her former colour, which judging by the paint residue was a white blonde. Andy has had to cut out a bit of the wood to glue (more like press under tons of pressure) new bits of ash into the missing parts and then reshape to restore the original profile. About 20% of the wood has been lost due to the butchering by a careless former owner, but hopelly she'll still sound as good when she finally returns. The frets need work, but I've decided to play her first before making the decision to refret. I'll update once work has been completed.

Edited by q_of_doom

Thanks for the encouragement! The work shouldn't be visible since it'll be smoothed over and refinished in solid white. I'll go the relic'ing route as I've done with my P-bass to make the body match the neck so you might see the different woods in the bits where the paint is chipped, but I don't foresee it being too much of a problem. Time will tell.

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1319531710' post='1415143']
Thanks for the encouragement! The work shouldn't be visible since it'll be smoothed over and refinished in solid white. I'll go the relic'ing route as I've done with my P-bass to make the body match the neck so you might see the different woods in the bits where the paint is chipped, but I don't foresee it being too much of a problem. Time will tell.
[/quote]
Blonde is slightly translucent...?

Good call re: the relic route. That's the way I would go, too...

Hmm, i actually like it how it is! Although I'm sure if you put it next to an untouched one I'd prefer the untouched version. Mind you, I've never been all that keen on the traditional Fender style bass in terms of looks. Would be great to see pics once you've restored it though, hope it all goes well!

The finish on it is, of course, awful and stripping and refinish would be great. Personally I wouldn't have worried about the reshaping, all part of the guitar's story. Why not go for a new body if you want the original shape? The wood isn't sacred.

I'd add though that I'm quote jealous of this, great buy and I'd love to hear it!

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1319554750' post='1415719']
Blonde is slightly translucent...?

Good call re: the relic route. That's the way I would go, too...
[/quote]

The majority of 68-74 Tele's were in white blonde, as stated in the OP. This finish is not transluscent like the 50's blondes, so the patch job, and refin should be fine, and it will look fabulous when finished, nice project, sure you'll have fun doing it.
I have an original '68 Tele Bass pickguard, its the white one with the pearl back, very scarce indeed, most of them gassed and disintegrated. I'm saving it though, as i also want an original blonde tele bass, to go with my other two, and i know when i find the right one, chances are the guard will be gone. You'll be stretched to find another, but there are many good repro's out there. Original 60's thumbrests are much easier to source.

Good luck with the project, look forward to seeing the finished article.

• 7 months later...