Why become a member? ×

Uses for old strings

thisnameistaken

Just re-stringing my Warwick and my girlfriend wondered aloud what could be done in terms of new uses for old bass strings. I've always just thrown mine away, and I know some of you are gypsies and you just wash them and put them back on, but has anyone found a new use for old strings at all?

Edited by pantherairsoft
Reference to animal cruelty removed

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1318690009' post='1405265']
i always keep bits of old strings for fettling nuts, tensioned in an old hacksaw frame they're perfect for lowering the action a tiny bit or just to smooth out rough spots on the grooves..[/quote]

Ooh an actual good idea. I would never think of this sort of thing because I always get more blokey people to do anything practical that needs to happen. I am not allowed to play with tools.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1318694599' post='1405338']
I've given a few to a model railway enthusiast who used them for telegraph/pylon wires and stuff like that.
[/quote]

Yep thats what i do! I do modeling with them, used a load of E strings to make power cable models and ropes etc,

Also i use them instead of wire sometimes as it's usually stronger and rougher

Folks - all references to hurting cats have been removed after multiple reports have been submitted to the mods. Seems there are lots of animal lovers on Basschat... so lets please keep the animal cruelty out of it.

On a serious note though, a good friend of mine is one of the sculptors at Games Workshop. I give him all my used bass strings and they end up on the master models for Warhammer 40k bits of bobs as pipes and cables. You can likely see some of my old strings on Space Marine Dreadnoughts connecting all the arms/weapons/legs etc etc: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod20021a&_requestid=1707930

Not exactly practical for the most of us - but it's certainly a use!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1318751927' post='1405707']Folks - all references to hurting cats have been removed after multiple reports have been submitted to the mods. Seems there are lots of animal lovers on Basschat... so lets please keep the animal cruelty out of it.[/quote]

Oh fgs. It's going to end up like BBC1 during the daytime before long...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1318751927' post='1405707']
Folks - all references to hurting cats have been removed after multiple reports have been submitted to the mods. Seems there are lots of animal lovers on Basschat... so lets please keep the animal cruelty out of it.
[/quote]

Interesting.
So it's ok to advocate the use of old bass strings to garotte guitarists... :)

Speaking as someone who has had 29 cats in the past and still has 19 of them, if I can take the 'cat comments' in good jest I don't see why others can't.

Just doing my job. I'm not condoning people doing nasty things to guitarists... I actually missed that post, but more importantly if anyone is offended by it, they have not spoke up, unlike people that are offended by people killing cats... Who have spoken up in number.

Either way, it doesn't need discussing or dragging on. I've edited the posts. The thread is about uses for old strings, not hurting cats or guitarists. If you think too PC then PM me and we can discuss further.

Cheers chaps

P.S. what's wrong with daytime BBC programming!? :)

I donate all my old strings to my school's music department. The kids are always breaking strings and I have no use for dull, dead strings*. Everyone's happy!

*When I say "dull and dead", that's by my standards. For some people on here they would just about be starting to be "played in"!! :)