Why become a member? ×

Uses for old strings

thisnameistaken

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1318765280' post='1405869']Just doing my job. I'm not condoning people doing nasty things to guitarists... I actually missed that post, but more importantly if anyone is offended by it, they have not spoke up, unlike people that are offended by people killing cats... Who have spoken up in number. Either way, it doesn't need discussing or dragging on. I've edited the posts. The thread is about uses for old strings, not hurting cats or guitarists. If you think too PC then PM me and we can discuss further. Cheers chaps P.S. what's wrong with daytime BBC programming!? :)[/quote]

Well technically he was on about skinning cats which would suggest that the cat was already dead. As someone who had to sit through countless episodes of homes under the hammer when I was re-doing my A-levels at home I can assure you everything is wrong with BBC1 on a daytime. I used to get up no earlier than 9 just so I didn't have to watch breakfast. TBH I think if you don't like what someone is saying then you should take it up with them via the private messaging system.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1318767409' post='1405904']
anyone put their old strings in their council recyling bin ?
[/quote]
Yes. All nicely coiled up and stuffed into the cardboard packet that contained the new ones. Then I cram [i]that [/i]into a tin can or the like. Wouldn't want any of the binmen putting their eye out, oh no.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1318769395' post='1405941']
everything is wrong with BBC1 on a daytime. [/quote]
Daytime Beeb is unchallenging, cosy and full of tubby middle-aged people obsessing about houses and Clarice Cliff tea-sets. Which is why some of us hate it and some of us like it.

Cuddly telly for old(er) people is the shameful secret of which the skinny, yoof-obsessed little BBC metrosexuals speak in tones of refined disgust while they pick at their vegan wraps and sip their lattes. "They asked Ben to work on Antiques Roadtrip. He was so upset, the poor lamb threw himself off a car-park. Service is next week."

I used to get up no earlier than 9 just so I didn't have to watch breakfast.
[/quote]
You don't need 'excuses' to rise at a sensible hour. Lounging is the mark of the fully-rounded gentleman.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='bottomfeed' timestamp='1318770718' post='1405966']
Boil them.... with a little salt, vinegar or lemon juice.... Presto!.... like new again... for a while anyway.

Amazing how much finger gunk comes out, too...
[/quote]

Years ago pro player told me he boiled old strings to bring them back to life. I was on a tight budget, so I thought I'd give it a try, and it does work. Surprising the amount of gunk that comes out too. But, with the price of gas being what it is nowadays, you'd be just as well buying a new set.

Never added salt or vinegar. But I did once get them mixed up with a pan of spaghetti, with hilarious consequences!

Edited by billyapple

I would never think of doing anything untoward with a cat in regard of strings and basses. My cat is a god send, I lost the skinny allen key for my Badass. Luckily Scrambles' little claws are just the right size to adjust the action and intonation. He's a master at it too, although we had to have words the other day when he tried to polish my TBird.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1318693623' post='1405321']
I once used one to hold the exhaust together on a Bedford Astra van, worked a treat.
[/quote]
It must be something about old Bedfords - I did exactly the same thing with a Bedford CF. Top tip - use the E string as a G will melt!

As for the bracelet idea, I knew a guy who did just that. He also threaded different size and colour ball ends onto old guitar strings to make various other bits of jewellery as well.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1318751927' post='1405707']Folks - all references to hurting cats have been removed after multiple reports have been submitted to the mods. Seems there are lots of animal lovers on Basschat... so lets please keep the animal cruelty out of it.[/quote]

Well I've never knowingly hurt a cat, but well done to whoever has the sense of humour failure documented above, I'm sure the mods had nothing important on. :/

As someone who had to sit through countless episodes of homes under the hammer when I was re-doing my A-levels at home I can assure you everything is wrong with BBC1 on a daytime. I used to get up no earlier than 9 just so I didn't have to watch breakfast. [/quote]

TVs do have off-switches (my kids haven't worked that one out yet either) :)

And stick your old bass strings in your garden strimmer, they work a treat (though they are incredibly dangerous, especially if your cat gets too close)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1318843037' post='1406636']

TVs do have off-switches (my kids haven't worked that one out yet either) :)
[/quote]

Well I can't do any work without having something on in the background and before you make another patronising comment like a smug little idiot, I got an A* in maths so obviously that technique worked for me (this included working whilst watching actual decent TV on an evening before you say anything else).

Edited by pantherairsoft
language

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1318765815' post='1405877']
I donate all my old strings to my school's music department. The kids are always breaking strings and I have no use for dull, dead strings*. Everyone's happy!

*When I say "dull and dead", that's by my standards. For some people on here they would just about be starting to be "played in"!! :)
[/quote]

Yeah those of us that like fresh strings should offer a "playing in service". Normal non-coated strings have a useful life of about 2-3 hours for me.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1318854338' post='1406849']

Well I can't do any work without having something on in the background and before you make another patronising comment like a smug little idiot, I got an A* in maths so obviously that technique worked for me (this included working whilst watching actual decent TV on an evening before you say anything else).
[/quote]

Wow. If that's the edited version I hate to think what I've missed.

See Dave Vader's smiley? That means you owe him an apology.

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1318870248' post='1407201']

Wow. If that's the edited version I hate to think what I've missed.

See Dave Vader's smiley? That means you owe him an apology.
[/quote]

I don't really care how it was supposed to come across, we all know what he was trying to say by it.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1318854338' post='1406849']
I got an A* in maths
[/quote]
Naaaaay, I can remember t' day they were A-[i]levels[/i] .... and you 'ad to work for 'em like a bugger not dig 'em outta Cornflakes packet of a morning.
There were 'undred 'n fifty on us living in shoe-box int middle o' road.