Why become a member? ×

at the price of $100,000 this could be the world's most expensive bass.

Grand Wazoo

"After all, the German luthier’s expensive basses are made with some of the same techniques used to make Stradivarius violins."

Hmm, could this technique involve carving bits of seasoned wood into the shape of a musical instrument???

Edit: ...or does he wind his pickups slightly hot like Strad used to....

Edited by henry norton

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]He doesn't have to sell it, doesn't even have to make it! If enough people hear about a Ritter with this spec it's done its job, as marketing boost for the company.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1317209801' post='1388045']
I wonder how much mammoth tusk is. It should probably be illegal seeing as ivory is, what with mammoths being [i]slightly[/i] rarer than elephants.... :)

Just think - each time you file the nut slots you're taking hundreds off the value of the bass!
[/quote]
Ha! About a quid per speck of dust! Actually mammoth tusk is used on some very expensive string instrument bows. It's used because you don't have to kill a mammoth to get the ivory whereas you normally have to kill an elephant if you want elephant ivory.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1317206334' post='1387982']

Furry with big feet? :)
[/quote]
Oh yeah! Ask Mr Graham about furry big foot tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq8VZDz5lEc
Mammoth tusk nuts will do these sounds without the octaver.
[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1317206802' post='1387996']
"After all, the German luthier’s expensive basses are made with some of the same techniques used to make Stradivarius violins."

Hmm, could this technique involve carving bits of seasoned wood into the shape of a musical instrument???

Edit: ...or does he wind his pickups slightly hot like Strad used to....
[/quote]

IIRC he uses the same kind of finish.
[quote name='charic' timestamp='1317210744' post='1388066']

I hear he's using a behringer combo.
[/quote]
But in fairness, it's the most expensive Behringer combo.

This bass was $100,000 when it first came to attention here back in 2008. At the time the exchange rate was $2 = £1, and I pointed out that my (then) boss had just spent the same amount (£50,000) on a new car.

I know which of the two I'd rather have and which would also have kept it's value better.