Why become a member? ×

DR Strings - Problems and no response from them in over 2 months.

xilddx

I got some DR Black Beauties with a duff G over a couple of months ago. I hear they had some bad batches or something. No replies yet to my two emails. It's a shame because I love DR strings, and Black Beauties are my very favourites.

But I can't allow myself to live with poor customer service, even if I love the product, it makes me feel uncomforatable. So I have decided to switch brands and just ordered some [b]Elixirs [/b]to see what they're like.

I hear they are very good.

[quote name='jonno1981' post='1311704' date='Jul 21 2011, 04:16 PM']Did you contact the UK distributor or DR directly?? The UK guys at firstline are pretty decent folks. Not getting back to you twice is very bad form and very bad customer service.[/quote]
DR in New Jersey. I had a set about 18 months or so ago that had two Ds and no G. They were cool and actually sent m a whole new set.

But I have noticed a couple of times that a string seems to be dead. I had a dead E once but thought it was my fault. Now this G. I can't afford to deal with quality issues with strings as you never know until you put them on, a day before recording or gigging and that becomes a serious problem.

[quote name='jonno1981' post='1311704' date='Jul 21 2011, 04:16 PM']Did you contact the UK distributor or DR directly?? The UK guys at firstline are pretty decent folks. Not getting back to you twice is very bad form and very bad customer service.[/quote]
Thanks for this, I just emailed them. I'll post what happens. Cheers!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1311717' date='Jul 21 2011, 04:31 PM']Its annoying isnt it! Especially when Ive never had cheaper brands create problems.

Ernie Balls are doing it for me at the moment, although I like to flirt with DRs, TIs and D'adaddarios.[/quote]
Very annoying!

[quote name='silddx' post='1311712' date='Jul 21 2011, 04:26 PM']But I have noticed a couple of times that a string seems to be dead. I had a dead E once but thought it was my fault. Now this G. I can't afford to deal with quality issues with strings as you never know until you put them on, a day before recording or gigging and that becomes a serious problem.[/quote]

That's just not on - not at any price, but especially at the premium prices charged for DR strings!

I've said it many times before, but the inconsistant quality of DR strings is atrocious, especially when you consider the price of them.
Never had as many problems with a brand of string as I've had with DR. Electric guitar & acoustic guitar strings as well as bass have all been the same.
Stopped using them ages ago.

Quite right.
I used DR Millers for 2 or 3 years and just got bored of getting duff strings. In one pack, the A and the G were bad. I use Ernie Balls now; guaranteed quality and they cost less. Sure they sound different, but to be honest, fannying about with the tone controls on the J East retro makes more of a difference than the strings.

Truckstop

[quote name='silddx' post='1311689' date='Jul 21 2011, 04:08 PM']I got some DR Black Beauties with a duff G over a couple of months ago. I hear they had some bad batches or something. No replies yet to my two emails. It's a shame because I love DR strings, and Black Beauties are my very favourites.

But I can't allow myself to live with poor customer service, even if I love the product, it makes me feel uncomforatable. So I have decided to switch brands and just ordered some [b]Elixirs [/b]to see what they're like.

I hear they are very good.[/quote]

Give the Rotosound Nexus a go. I switched from the Black Beauties to those (also black coated) and I preferred them.

I don't use coated strings anymore, but if I went back it'd be the Nexus.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1311940' date='Jul 21 2011, 07:28 PM']Give the Rotosound Nexus a go. I switched from the Black Beauties to those (also black coated) and I preferred them.

I don't use coated strings anymore, but if I went back it'd be the Nexus.[/quote]
Haven't heard too much praise for those mate, sorry. Tension is very important to me too. Just hoping DR can restore my faith :)

Ive had a few great sets of Highbeams and Sunbeams (current SB set a year old and still sounding lush) but found a recent set of Black Beauties to be a huge let down. Coating coming off almost instantly, a sticky feel and average at best sound. Struggled to equate them with all the praise hereabouts and Ed Friedlands classic DR review. Dont expect those kind of QC issues at that price (esp for a fiver set). Love Elixirs too BTW

I have also had dodgy DR strings, sounds like it's quite a common thing unfortunately. Sweet strings though, when they aren't faulty of course.

I think you'll like Elixirs, had them on a bass for months and loved the sound from the day i put them on until the day i took them off. I only replaced them because they had got a bit hairy! Lovely for fretless too, like a smoothed out roundwound.

I was fortunate to buy 3 barely used sets on the cheap but would happily pay full whack for them.

I've never thought the DRs were worth the extra cash, although I used to use them often. They always get championed as the best strings money can get but I think they have their downfalls actually. Add to that the bad CS and I'd just swap brands!

I use D'Addarios and am happy enough although I've recently come to love Elixirs so I might make the swap soon.

I've been using coated elixirs for the last two years and I love them. They just never die. To be honest I have thinking about trying some of the DR's as I've heard so many good reviews. Now I may stick with the tried and tested.

Edited by tonyclaret

That sucks Nige.

I've been using black beauties for a while since changing from fat beams, never had a bad set.

I get mine from Paul comford, uk eBay seller.

Probably makes no difference where you get them from, I've either been lucky, or have very knackered ears. But, as someone said, uk dealer could mean better communications?

My own experience of elixirs has been poor (bass and 6 string acoustic). New strings braking in sound checks and "dulling" very quickly. Could have had a bad couple of sets.

John

I've posted about DR's QC of late.

Used to use them religiously, as they were excellent and cleaned up very well..which made the hi price justifiable IMV.

But I do the same things now... and I can't rely on a cleaned batch being useable..so have to have a new set to hand..and waste time putting on other strings..
Also, the string kinks like they never have before..when coiled.
I've also had the odd duff string which is very annoying.
So after a major experiment with various brands I am going to give Newtone a go as these make custom winds, ie T-core, off a batch of Diamonds gauges. And for £28 for a 5 set which is on par with Daddario's XL pro steels.

I use anything from La Bella SS, to XL Pros, Ken Smith and other La Bellas and I far prefer DR..just can't rely on them as I used to be able to.

I have some old set of DR's and am going to clean them up..and see how they do.
I am thinking that QC or the metal in some string makers has changed to some degree. The only reason I say this is the inconsistant batches of the last year or so.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1312871' date='Jul 22 2011, 03:50 PM']I bought 2 sets of Hi Beam LLR-40s (40-95) from a guy in Poland but haven't had a chance to use them yet..I'm getting a bit panicky now with all this negativity..[/quote]
They are great strings, but I've had a couple of duffers lately. No response from the UK distributor yet.

I've used DR Hi Beams since the early/mid 90s, and later on also Fat Beams as my strings of choice. Love them to bits, but in the last year in a total of about 10-15 sets I've had three dead E-strings and one dead A string. Up until last year I never ever had any issues whatsoever with DR. Sad to say I'm starting to think about switching brands - but the force of habit is hard to break.