Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Show - Still Worth Watching?

spongebob

Have to say that having checked out the youtube clip everyone's moaning about I didn't think it was that bad at all, though I was listening through little cheap headphones and the piano wasn't very loud. I'm usually pretty sensitive to people being seriously offkey but I've heard far worse than that performance and I'm not a rabid Adele fan either.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1220717' date='May 5 2011, 10:17 AM']Allow me to help, once upon a time, televisions, or TVs as they are known colloquially used to use things called Valves, also known as Tubes (honestly, we should know these things, we are bass players) in order to work. Some people here are old enough to remember such things (not me, I am just historically minded enough to know pointless sh*t like this).
Marvin was making a pun or play on words about this very real situation.
It was mildly amusing
:)

</jokegeekmode>[/quote]

Got to love outdated tech. Sorry vader but my geek instincts are kicking in, and I can't resist correcting you :) . Valves are only used for amplifiers, and whilst they might be used for a TV's sound, the bit that Marvin was referring to is a cathode ray tube, which is the bit that spits electrons at the glass in order to make the image. The only CRT (cathode ray tube) TV I see these days is the one in my living room, and that's so that we can use a playstation lightgun.

don't worry marvin, i chuckled.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1222169' date='May 6 2011, 01:01 PM']Got to love outdated tech. Sorry vader but my geek instincts are kicking in, and I can't resist correcting you :) . Valves are only used for amplifiers, and whilst they might be used for a TV's sound, the bit that Marvin was referring to is a cathode ray tube, which is the bit that spits electrons at the glass in order to make the image. The only CRT (cathode ray tube) TV I see these days is the one in my living room, and that's so that we can use a playstation lightgun.

don't worry marvin, i chuckled.[/quote]
Yep, my first thought was CRTs too, although I am one of those old enough to remember valve TVs (and radios). Not sure about them only being for sound, though, as I recall there was quite a warm-up time before the picture appeared - although that may be an old early CRT vs. later CRT issue.

As for Adele - I found that clip hard to listen to, but I noticed she was fiddling with ear ears at the end, so perhaps in her defence there were some monitoring problems.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1222169' date='May 6 2011, 01:01 PM']Got to love outdated tech. Sorry vader but my geek instincts are kicking in, and I can't resist correcting you :) . Valves are only used for amplifiers, and whilst they might be used for a TV's sound, the bit that Marvin was referring to is a cathode ray tube, which is the bit that spits electrons at the glass in order to make the image. The only CRT (cathode ray tube) TV I see these days is the one in my living room, and that's so that we can use a playstation lightgun.

don't worry marvin, i chuckled.[/quote]

Apologies, I was unsure as to which type of tube Marvin was referring to. I still have 3 CRT Tvs in the house, they're not outdated yet, thus Marv would have been being a mean snobby type if he'd meant that. (Also have a CRT monitor on my PC, as the LCD one went bang). I think Marv is a non-snob (He does live in Torrington after all... :lol: )
So he may have meant valves.

Wow, was that post actually worth making?
Is it Friday afternoon?
That's alright then, worth having a pointless argument, go.....
:)

Wow, I best not admit I actually quite like Adele then as I'll get shot down by the l33t crew!

She is no Kate Bush, Bjork or Tori Amos but I can't knock her at all. Better than most of the tripe out at the moment.

[quote name='dbass' post='1222863' date='May 7 2011, 08:54 AM']She is no Kate Bush, Bjork or Tori Amos but I can't knock her at all. Better than most of the tripe out at the moment.[/quote]
But that's just it... she's become one of our most successful singers, merely because she's better than most of the tripe out there at the moment.

To be fair, I didn't know much about her until I watched Later and a few clips online (yes, I live under a rock). I quite like her in that she's not a typical whiny diva, but still, her pitching is flaky.

It's a shame we celebrate mediocrity, just because they're on the telly and radio.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1221387' date='May 5 2011, 06:33 PM']According to the BBC, Adele is now worth £6 million, so I very much doubt she gives a hoot what we think![/quote]
Just 'cos she's got some money means she doesn't care what anyone thinks?
naaa not buying into that one.

I watched it last night - was generally unimpressed with the fare but the Portuguese singer Mariza and her band were mesmerising! Was that a mandolin? Sounded incredible and was paired with a very emotional vocal performance. I am going to check her music out.

Said it before but that is one of the reasons I think this show is still valid - every so often a band comes on I have never heard of and it makes me go 'wow'

what was with the bunch of nobs Metronomy with the lights on their chests???? the only things I can remember about them is this little quirky bit of wardrobe they have.

Not good

And that James Blake,,,,did he even want to be there? No feel and no presence.

However I was totally blown away by R Kelly, I was never a fan but by god that man has soul. What a voice and showman. Total class and a pleasure to watch.

Really enjoyed Warpaint this week. Really different and original, almost shoe-gaze/art rock type indie.

Im going to have a listen to their album and EP.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMkqbY0oGKQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMkqbY0oGKQ[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFxb0F2F2A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFxb0F2F2A[/url]

Nice choice of guitars as well.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1222902' date='May 7 2011, 09:47 AM']Here is a youtube clip of Mariza, following my previous post. Its not the song I was referring to (which was on at the end of the show and much more brooding) but give you an idea

[/quote]

I too was well impressed with this last week.

and +1 in relation to your point on making Jools still worth checking out.

TO answer the OP topic: The programme has a mix of stuff.. and you might not like it all.. some weeks you might not like anything.. I usually always find at least one act worth watching. In the last few months I caught two acts that I would never have heard because their styles aren't usually my thing: Everything Everything and Janelle Monae.. loved them and have bought their albums as a result.

..on the last show.. really like the Arctic Monkeys new stuff.. having really not liked their old stuff that much.. and enjoyed Alisson Krauss .. again, not stuff I'd normally check out.

Recently they had McCoy Tyner on (amusingly over running his 5 minute time slot :) ). AFAIK, there isn't much live stuff on TV right now.. and this programme has a reasonably broad mix of music. What's not to like?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1232812' date='May 16 2011, 10:43 AM']Yes, Brian Wilson was a disappointment. Poor harmonies...something just sounded really 'off'.[/quote]

Whilst I agree that Brian's performance was at times off key, I thought the band did a great job of helping
out with the complex arrangements. Seen them a few times now, and think they're one of the best set of musicians
I've ever witnessed - they are all multi-instrumentalists and all sing too.
Lets not also forget that Brian is pushing 70, and has survived an abusive childhood,years of drug abuse and long
periods of mental illness. IMO he wrote some of the best songs of the last century, and judging by the studio audience's
reaction on Later the songs still stand.
( Also after witnessing some doubtful performances recently on the show, I'd be curious to see how those artists currently in their twenties
manage to sound in another 40 or more years when they're struggling to sing in tune now. Rant over, sorry!)

I don't think that age and life history is a good reason to excuse a poor performance, nor does a poor performance have any bearing on the original quality of the songs in question. The two things are not connected at all.

Everyone gets old and their faculties wane, hence the saying that it's best to go out at the top. No one can seriously deny Brian Wilson's massive contribution to popular music but, sadly, that doesn't mean he can go on forever.

[quote name='casapete' post='1232951' date='May 16 2011, 12:43 PM'].
. IMO he wrote some of the best songs of the last century, and judging by the studio audience's
reaction on Later the songs still stand.[/quote]

I think the audience reaction was more about 'Oh look,Brian Wilson is singing Good Vibrations' rather
than 'Wow,Brian Wilson is good'. He's got to be playing on his reputation,because he was awful on 'Later....'.
I think he needed a drummer too.
With the exception of Alison Krauss and Union Station(who I love anyway),I thought the whole thing was dreadful
as usual-the Arctic Monkeys are perpetually rubbish and I don't know what to say about that immensely bad
girl band. Randy Newman seems to have lost it aswell.
I did laugh though,when that reggae bloke started and Jools played his obligatory boogie-woogie lick over
the intro.

[quote name='casapete' post='1232951' date='May 16 2011, 12:43 PM']Whilst I agree that Brian's performance was at times off key, I thought the band did a great job of helping
out with the complex arrangements. Seen them a few times now, and think they're one of the best set of musicians
I've ever witnessed - they are all multi-instrumentalists and all sing too.
Lets not also forget that Brian is pushing 70, and has survived an abusive childhood,years of drug abuse and long
periods of mental illness. IMO he wrote some of the best songs of the last century, and judging by the studio audience's
reaction on Later the songs still stand.
( Also after witnessing some doubtful performances recently on the show, I'd be curious to see how those artists currently in their twenties
manage to sound in another 40 or more years when they're struggling to sing in tune now. Rant over, sorry!)[/quote]
I went to see Les Paul play a couple of years ago (shortly before he died) and his playing ability had been severely impeded by his arthritis. However he'd surrounded himself with a fantastic band and kept his playing within his abilities. His between song anecdotes were as sharp as ever!

The trick, like every good musician, is to know what your strengths and weaknesses are, recognise that they are going to change over time and work around them.

Edited by BigRedX