Why become a member? ×

Birth Year Bass

Stroopy121

[quote name='Machines' post='1205702' date='Apr 20 2011, 12:26 PM']Yeah, I want something from 1983 - but what was actually good back then ? It certainly isn't Fenders.[/quote]

My JV squier.... actually no. someone elses JV squier....

[quote name='obbm' post='1207188' date='Apr 21 2011, 02:44 PM']It would be a miracle if I found one seeing as I was born 5 years before the bass guitar was invented. :)[/quote]

You'll just have to start lying about your age :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1205702' date='Apr 20 2011, 11:26 AM']Yeah, I want something from 1983 - but what was actually good back then ? It certainly isn't Fenders.[/quote]

I have a lovely MusicMan Cutlass I from 1983. Which I'm not going to sell to you. :)

Out of interest how do you know it's a 1962?

IIRC the only way of dating the early set neck models is if they have a date sticker under the scratch plate. Mine doesn't - although it had been seriously modified even before I bought it in 1981 so that's not too surprising.

I've thought about either a YOB from 1974 or a custom job for my 40th birthday: gives me some time to save up.

I don't think '74 was a stunning year for basses, so I'd probably aim for a Precision or Ricky if I went that route. I'm leaning towards a USA Sadowsky custom build though: I don't have enough room to have another bass I don't feel I can sell for sentimental reasons.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1207662' date='Apr 21 2011, 10:52 PM']There is a certain amount of wishful thinking involved..[/quote]
Have you had the scratch plate off to have a look? Your's looks in fantastic condition so there's a good chance that if it ever had a date sticker it would still be there.

I'd love to think that mines a 1960, but since it originally had the Burns fully adjustable bridge it's unlikely to be any earlier than 1961, and is probably later because it has a rosewood rather than maple fingerboard.

Yes they did and neck binding too.

I bought a '74 jazz bass which is a YOB bass for me, think I was lucky as it was the right year and plays and sounds like a dream.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1205887' date='Apr 20 2011, 02:31 PM']Did Jazzes have blocks in 1974? If so I might be interested, can't say I've thought about it before though.[/quote]

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1207745' date='Apr 22 2011, 12:07 AM']I haven't,but I think I will be soon..[/quote]
Take some pictures if it does turn out to be a 1962.

Here's mine which is in far from perfect condition.

From the info I got from "The Burns Book" and "Pearls And Crazy Diamonds" it dates from some time between 1962 and 1964. Without a date sticker I can't be any more accurate.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126248&hl=what+does+your"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=what+does+your[/url]

Given my birthday (29 Dec 1956) I feel that I should be entitled to choose either a 1956 or a 1957 bass as my YoB bass.

Or both, of course.

:)

I was planning on buying myself something special next year as a kind of treat to myself for my 25th anniversary since I started playing.

I would really have liked a Thunderbird but they didn't make them in 1975 so the closest would be the 1976 Bicentennial.

I've always fancied a fender Mustang but I'd need to try one first. I suppose I could go for a predictable Precision or a rather unpredictable maple fretless one.