Why become a member? ×

Wal Bass and Electric Wood

themurm523

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1204248' date='Apr 18 2011, 10:43 PM']I seeem to recall one was used on Buggles "Video killed the Radio Star", but could be wrong.......[/quote]
That was an Aria SB1000.

[quote name='Rich' post='1204544' date='Apr 19 2011, 10:55 AM']Colin Edwin played a Wal on all the early Porcupine Tree stuff.[/quote]
He still does play them on most of their stuff, though he uses Spectors now too.
When I saw them last year he used the Wals 90% of the time.

[quote name='matski' post='1204439' date='Apr 19 2011, 08:57 AM']....John Entwistle also had an early Wal, featuring possibly the most horrible scratchplate known to humanity....[/quote]
These are the JG basses with embossed leather "scratch plates" and are some of the best sounding basses ever made. One difference is that they have a parallel/series switch on each pickup and sound like magic.

After seeing the Martin Kemp/Alan Spenner JG bass being played in the Bass Cellar, I asked Pete Sevens to make a 5 string one for me. He said he couldn't do it anymore and thought the reason for their sound could be that they were made with pickups that had been wound with imperial (pre metric) sized wire. So the number of windings changed after they went metric and that changed the sound!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1204601' date='Apr 19 2011, 11:39 AM']The guy from Imagination (Just An Illusion), Ashley Ingram, played one.[/quote]

No he didn't - It was Just an Illusion.
Fretless one - was it not?

My first five string - Yep a Wal, [1988]

Garry

Just beaten to the Leigh Gorman comment! Also, Peter Gee from Pendragon uses one some of the time - a fretless five string...

Nik Kershaw played one on his debut album - most notably on the track "Gone to Pieces" - even though it was apperently speeded up as he can't play that fast!

there you go: Wonderful Life/Black - great song; didn't know at that time what a Wal Bass was - actually it seems they propped up on every second song I listened to as a teenager, and now I play them myself - cool :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YCE_LAiSdU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YCE_LAiSdU...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1204198' date='Apr 18 2011, 09:55 PM']I think Peter Collins (Rush producer, amongst others) introduced Geddy Lee to the Wal, and thus began a new phase of tone for said bass player. Dire straits bassist also used one (if he hasn't been mentioned) and Rob Burns (TV sessions etc and tutor at basstech) used them extensively.

they are fab![/quote]

This is correct. Peter favoured them as he had come straight from the English pop scene where they were the bass of choice for the studio. He let Geddy use his which IIRC was used to record the Power Windows demo, Geddy bought a couple of his own and took delivery of them prior to recording Power Windows properly. Best tone he had ever had!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='themurm523' post='1229237' date='May 12 2011, 07:58 PM']Bump for my paper which is due soon. How long is the waiting list for one of these? About a year more or less? Then how long does it take to build it another year? Anyone who owns one know?[/quote]
Laurence is having a fretless Mk1 made and he told me the order time (from order to delivery, to be clear) is about one year right now

[quote name='Clarky' post='1229238' date='May 12 2011, 07:59 PM']Laurence is having a fretless Mk1 made and he told me the order time (from order to delivery, to be clear) is about one year right now[/quote]
Ouch. Still not Pete territory towards the end of his time though

[quote name='themurm523' post='1229237' date='May 12 2011, 07:58 PM']Bump for my paper which is due soon. How long is the waiting list for one of these? About a year more or less? Then how long does it take to build it another year? Anyone who owns one know?[/quote]

I've got one being built at the moment and I think Paul said it'd take about a year (which will give me time to save up to pay for it :)).