Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

You're welcome Geoff

I think we're definitely on the same page here, I think the word I've been looking for is 'organic'. I forgot to say I found when setting the input level it was really sensitive and when clipping produced a really nasty distorted clipping. My ABM is a lot smoother and tends to give a more overdrive sound when clipping.

I'm really interested in trying some other Class D amp heads, especially the GenzBenz Streamliner with it's triple valve preamp.

Till then I'm gonna stick with my ABM. Out of curiosity what model are you using?

Cheers

Alf

Edited by Valhalalf

The digital amp debate is an interesting one....

I used a Streamliner for a bit and really liked the tone, but like a fool I sold it :blink:

Had a wonderful Demeter preamp/Crown power amp setup a while back that sounded just incredible. I sold the Crown as it was so heavy and replaced it with a Peavey IPR 1600 2u digital power amp, and that didn't sound half as good. But then I also had an Epifani Quest pre with a Peavey DPC1400X 1u digital power amp and that was lush beyond.

Not sure what this tells us, apart from the fact that I change gear too much!!!!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1329221634' post='1538935']
The digital amp debate is an interesting one....

I used a Streamliner for a bit and really liked the tone, but like a fool I sold it :blink:

Had a wonderful Demeter preamp/Crown power amp setup a while back that sounded just incredible. I sold the Crown as it was so heavy and replaced it with a Peavey IPR 1600 2u digital power amp, and that didn't sound half as good. But then I also had an Epifani Quest pre with a Peavey DPC1400X 1u digital power amp and that was lush beyond.

Not sure what this tells us, apart from the fact that I change gear too much!!!!
[/quote]

I can't claim to have used all Class D heads, but the Streamliner is the first one I've tried that can mix it with the heavyweights when it comes to sheer 'weight' behind the notes.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1329222695' post='1538961']

I can't claim to have used all Class D heads, but the Streamliner is the first one I've tried that can mix it with the heavyweights when it comes to sheer 'weight' behind the notes.
[/quote]

And I think it is that 'weight' that I am trying to describe as the difference between the ABM and the mibass. Possibly.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1329223337' post='1538971']
And I think it is that 'weight' that I am trying to describe as the difference between the ABM and the mibass. Possibly.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

The connection there is both the streamliner and ABM have real valves in them. I think the Streamliner sounds like it does more because of the valve pre amp rather than the power stage.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1329223744' post='1538985']
Be interesting to get OBBM in on this thread and he loves his amps both old and new school, and has recently bought the GK MB Fusion micro head that has three 12ax7s in it.
[/quote]

He's not had the best of starts with the MBFusion but hopefully he can come along with some thoughts soon. Personally I love mine and the three valve preamp is brilliant. Lots of thump and weight and bite and (IMHO) not lacking at all.

Well it appears the weight thing has been the deciding factor for me - and I don't mean how heavy it isn't!

A few posts previously the comment was made that the sound doesn't have the 'weight' behind it, something I'd been trying to put my finger on. On Friday evening I gigged it at a local pub, on top of my Barefaced Compact. Yes it was loud enough, but something wasn't there that I'm used to with my ABM (and my Klystron which I have recently moved on). However it was lovely to not have the weight of the ABM - I turned up with cab, bass and a laptop bag loaded with amp, pedal and all my cables. Nice.

After much consideration, I decided the MiBass is going back and I will continue with the ABM (and also a Terror Bass I've recently acquired). There's just something very special about the ABM that I can't let it go - it has weight on both counts, one positive and one negative, which must cancel each other out lol.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1329678628' post='1545806']
Well it appears the weight thing has been the deciding factor for me - and I don't mean how heavy it isn't!

A few posts previously the comment was made that the sound doesn't have the 'weight' behind it, something I'd been trying to put my finger on. On Friday evening I gigged it at a local pub, on top of my Barefaced Compact. Yes it was loud enough, but something wasn't there that I'm used to with my ABM (and my Klystron which I have recently moved on). However it was lovely to not have the weight of the ABM - I turned up with cab, bass and a laptop bag loaded with amp, pedal and all my cables. Nice.

After much consideration, I decided the MiBass is going back and I will continue with the ABM (and also a Terror Bass I've recently acquired). There's just something very special about the ABM that I can't let it go - it has weight on both counts, one positive and one negative, which must cancel each other out lol.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Have you any experience of Markbass gear, particularly the LittleMark amps?
Just wondering how these MiBass heads compare sound-wise?...

Eude

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Check out the ABM 1000. Lighter than the ABM 500 and headroom for days.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1329679377' post='1545830']
Check out the ABM 1000. Lighter than the ABM 500 and headroom for days.
[/quote]

Yes I'd seen that - less than 10kg, which is ok. Initial prices I've seen are on the high side for me at the moment. Maybe in time...

Cheers

Geoff

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Interesting......

I just couldn't get on with the TC Electronic head I had because, although it was light as a feather, it didn't have that 'weight' you're talking about. It's difficult to put my finger on the quality you describe but I felt it was if a whole band of low mid frequencies was missing on the TC. However I twiddled with it the amp just couldn't produce the sound that I wanted.

Now I've bought an ABM it has the 'authority' that the TC lacked (I think the technical term is 'bollocks'). Maybe this lack of 'authority' is a feature of digital amps? Or maybe it's a figment of my imagination?

I was hoping the MiBass would be different.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

As we've discussed in this thread Geoff I too sent my MiBass back. Gigging last night with my ABM it just felt right and I could 'feel' every note.

I'm now at peace with the weight for weight philosophy.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1329683653' post='1545952']
I just couldn't get on with the TC Electronic head I had because, although it was light as a feather, it didn't have that 'weight' you're talking about. It's difficult to put my finger on the quality you describe but I felt it was if a whole band of low mid frequencies was missing on the TC. However I twiddled with it the amp just couldn't produce the sound that I wanted.

Now I've bought an ABM it has the 'authority' that the TC lacked (I think the technical term is 'bollocks'). Maybe this lack of 'authority' is a feature of digital amps? Or maybe it's a figment of my imagination?

I was hoping the MiBass would be different.
[/quote]
I'd normally equate 'weight' with the bottom octave of the bass, i.e. 40 - 80Hz. The TC is known to roll off in this area. Although it sounds fine with a cab that has some bass extension, if the cab itself is rolling off in the same area, you are likely experience a lack of 'heft'. I'd guess that the ABM is flat to 40Hz and is therefore simply producing more of the bottom octave. It looks like the MiBass might have the same 'contoured' bottom end as the TC.

By the same token, if you use an amp that's flat to 40Hz with a speaker that extends down low (especially 15s, which tend to lack highs), you can easily end up with a sound that is 'wooly', Now where have we heard that before?:-)