Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1328273531' post='1524723']
Thanks, Geoff, really useful. Mine will be used with a Compact too.

I'm waiting for the Matamp 500 to be ready as that would be my first choice (for no other reason than liking the idea of it being a Matamp!) with the Mibass being the second option. Matamp will allow a week test as I can't get to the factory in the foreseeable.

I'm still looking for somewhere to try a Mibass so you impressions are valuable.
[/quote]

If you do get a chance to try the mibass with your compact, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts too.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1328267299' post='1524596']
Well back again folks, after a band practice last night. We were trying out a new rehearsal room, with supplied drums, backline, keyboards and PA. The supplied bass gear is an Ashdown ABM500 4x10 combo, an earlier version. Crackly pots galore lol. I gave it a quick try but switched to the MiBass and BF Comapct which I'd also brought along.

The MiBass looks so dinky atop the compact, I'm used to full size MAG and ABM heads! Below are some thoughts I had from last nigths session, with some comparison to my ABM.

Input
I don't like the tiny VU meter - its nothing compared to the full size one I'm used to, and I have to keep bending down to peer at it. The upside is that Ashdown appear to have fitted a red peak LED behind the VU screen, allowing you to see easily (and at a distance - I was across the room for part of the time) when you are overdriving the input.

Controls
The Active, Deep, Shape and EQ swtiches feel a bit cheap to me, but they won't be getting much use anyway - I generally start flat and use the EQ to get the sound I want, so the EQ switch will probably be permanently switched in, the others out. The front panel looks like it was lifted from the Little Giant to be honest (and I have read somewhere that the MiBass preamp is based on it's class D predecessor).

All the rotary knobs and sliders are all smooth and nicely weighted.

I was surprised to find myself missing the Compressor and Valve drive of my ABM, though. I hadn't realised how much I use and rely on them I guess. I know the compressor gets knocked by people, but I've not found it bad if used gently. I need to think about this.

EQ
I love this to bits. I've never had a semi-parametric EQ before so it took me a short while to get to grips with it. It was worth it though.
Being able to hone in on a specific frequency range to manage (cut or boost) is just great. I was able to get a nice bit of 'growl' with the lower mids boosted.

For info only as I normally cut treble, full treble boost adds very little noise or hiss to the sound.

Output
Once I'd tinkered with the EQ to get a pleasant tone, bit of bass boost, and lower-mid up a fraction more with the parametric knob at about 10 o'clock, I gave it some welly (a technical term which I can't explain now). It's definitely loud - not Terror Bass bonkers loud, but certainly on a par with my ABM500. More importantly, the tone doesn't seem to suffer adversely as the volume is turned up, even to max. I don't know how many Watts it is pushing into my single 8 Ohm Compact, but I'd say its just as much as an ABM.

So overall I'm impressed. I miss a mute switch, and don't like the tiny VU meter. It's loud and and has a great EQ section. However, sitting on the Compact it looks so small and non-descript - almost like an over-sized car stereo.

Maybe that's the attraction - discreet but powerful.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

So it's loud with a great EQ but you don't like that it's so small.... Isn't that the point of the MiBass? ;-)

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1328305935' post='1525426']
Oh FFS, This is why I never post anything here. Back to Finnbass...
[/quote]

:(

I'd have done exactly the same thing over there though...

(also I'm in a mischievous Moffat mood)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1328297020' post='1525242']
So it's loud with a great EQ but you don't like that it's so small.... Isn't that the point of the MiBass? ;-)
[/quote]

That's exactly why I am impressed with it - I never said I don't like that it's so small.

Cheers

Geoff

Just to add even more variety to the collection of reviews this amp is gathering I thought I'd add my two cents...

First off I'm playing a Fender Jaguar into the MiBass 550 and that into a lovely Midget T. As far as I'm concerned the sound is the best I've ever got. It's not even comparable to the majority of set ups I've used; the MiBass also beats the MAG 600 (the MAG series being, in my opinion, brilliant when you get one that works as it should) which I was going to play into the Midget. I made the switch as the MAG 600 came with added fault and, through some kind of miracle, I found a new MiBass 550 for merely £330 and thought that it would be worth a try. I must agree that the VU is too small, and also add that the controls can be (although they are well weighted) a little close together; however, it has all the versatility most bassist ever seem to need and an excellent range of outputs on the back (the DI output is in my opinion a must!). To be blunt, this amp is summed up by two statements:

1) It looks a little silly (although I'm sure some love the look)
2) It drops almost all weight without compromising amazing tone and volume (it can even do earthshaking through my Midget!)

The tone and power behind this amp really is brilliant; through the Midget T the MiBass delivers proper, full on, punchy bass and also a superb high end. The amp also stands out very well in a mix and, in my only test so far with it in a band situation, delivers all the volume needed for any gig without a PA.

This is the lightweight amp Ashdown always should have made and what's more, it punches well above it's weight. If your considering it, or even just curious, my advice would be to try one and just see it in action.

I can finally carry my gear to a gig on my own without a car and still deliver like I've got my old 4x10 behind me!

Just got the 550 Mibass today. Thought it would be nice to have a lightweight option for rehearsals and small gigs plus I like the headphone option for learning stuff in the other room without the wife getting shouty. Anyways just had a quick first blast and WOW! Very impressive little thing. Running into my Ashdown Neo 410 first I was first impressed by just the flat tone using my P bass, nice and warm balanced and punchy, perfectly usable infact. However engaging the EQ just takes things to another level, really easy to dial in a tone with a really versatile EQ and great having the 15db cut and boost witch the sliders once you've set the frequency with the rotary contols. Very warm sounding and loads of bass and loud! In fact things can get a bit silly if you engage the deep switch and boost the low end on the EQ, I actually plugged my 1x15 in with loads of low end on the EQ, dub heaven! Didn't think the little amps cold sound so warm and bassy. Will try the headphones out tomorrow and use with the band Friday night and report back.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1328817954' post='1533258']

Goodness, how much do you normally take along? Anything remotely punchy I get told to turn down. And I do so everyone else doesn't turn up.
[/quote]

Well the big rig is an Ashdown Klystron 1000 head with 4 ohm Ashdown Neo 410 and 115 which I love and it can tear down buildings when cranked ;-)

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1328884606' post='1534350']
Woo hoo my Mibass 550 has just arrived, sadly I'm at work so can't use it till the gig tonight. First impressions though nice and light, but not too light that it'll get knocked of a cab easily and the knobs and sliders feel very nice. Very impressed.

Can't wait to hear it.
[/quote]

And I'm looking forward to your thoughts about it.

Cheers

Geoff

Woo hoo my Mibass 550 has just arrived, sadly I'm at work so can't use it till the gig tonight. First impressions though nice and light, but not too light that it'll get knocked of a cab easily and the knobs and sliders feel very nice. Very impressed.

Can't wait to hear it.
[/quote]

Welcome to the club!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1329140111' post='1537642']
I am too lazy to read the whole thread again.... :blink:

Has anyone tried the 220? If so, what's the volume ouput like?
[/quote]

I [i]SAW[/i] one on Saturday, in Guitar Guitar Epsom.
It looked rather nice too....
Didn't have time to try it out unfortunately, but I'll be going back in the near future, very impressive shop and very very friendly too :)

Eude

Can't wait to hear it.
[/quote]

So, how did it perform? I'm keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1329157565' post='1538119']
So, how did it perform? I'm keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Ok here's my two cents

The build of the amp is brilliant, very strong and looks nice. It has a great sound and the EQ is really responsive and easy to cut or boost. I didn't like the VU meter. It's size made the needle a little too jerky to read nicely.

My main idea for getting this was to replace my ABM 500 III head with a smaller, lighter head. However comparing the two the MiBass seems to be missing something that the ABM has. I can't put my finger on it, maybe it's the anologue power stage compared to the MiBass' digital power stage but something didn't feel right when playing through it. Much like when I play guitar through a Line 6 amp or a traditional valve amp, there is something that doesn't quite feel natural through the digital amp. This isn't a digital amp vs analogue amp tone snobbery thing, far from it, the MiBass sounded great. Also although there is only 25 watts between them I found the MiBass didn't have near as much headroom and was struggling at the gig. In the end I swapped back to my ABM head.

It could be that I like my ABM head too much and was looking for reasons not to change. I really did like the MiBass and was hoping it would sound similiar to my ABM. It's compact size, weight and desktop use is great and if I could afford it I'd keep it as a backup unit.

But I would still insist people try one if they interest you, I could be that I'm just a little crazy :gas:

Thanks Valhalalf, interesting thoughts there.

I made a comment elsewhere that I didn't feel the MiBass had the same 'clout' that my ABM has sound wise, and I still stand by that. I also find it difficult to put my finger on it, and perhaps it is similar to the solid state vs valve debate, only this time it's one type of solid state topology vs another one. I really don't know. I thought my ABM would be up for sale by now - but I'm going to give the MiBass a few more gigs before I do. I'd love to be able to afford to have both, unfortunately I can't, and I'd really like to go lightweight... maybe I'm not ready for it just yet. Or it's not ready for me? :)

Just to add more confusion I've got a Terror Bass on it's way from another BC'er - it's something I've wanted to try out for ages, if only because it uses the same control knobs as my bass lol.

Cheers

Geoff