Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1329839724' post='1548276']
I've been using the MiBass alot lately and I don't think there is any problem with 'weight' in the low end. I find that
it has got a ton of low end yet still has definition so that every note is clear and not 'wooly'.
[/quote]

I definitely agree with this.

I had a TC head for a few days, and I could hear the low end lacking in that so it went back, but the MiBass has masses of low end and great clarity to go with it. Infact, it is the first head I have owned where I have not had to boost the bass.

I use it in both my bands, and I just can't fault it so far. It sits in the mix so well, and can punch through very nicely when needed to with just a small boost to the hi mids and treble. I am a very happy customer.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1329839724' post='1548276']
I've been using the MiBass alot lately and I don't think there is any problem with 'weight' in the low end. I find that
it has got a ton of low end yet still has definition so that every note is clear and not 'wooly'.
[/quote]

Yup I'd agree, loving my MiBass 550 actually, soooo many tones available and really warm and punchy(and loud), in fact my Klystron which I love hasn't been switched on since I got it. Also love the headphone out and have actually been practicing much more recently as I can do with my iPhone plugged in the front and headphones in the back and the wife doesn't moan ;-) great bit of kit.

• 3 months later...

Have just played first gig with my new (preloved) MiBass and it sounded great. I was worried it wouldn't have the grunt I wanted but it has plenty of volume. It has a very punchy sound almost like it's compressed. I much prefer the sound of the MIBass to my old TC Classic 450. I may have my Ashdown ABM up for sale soon at this rate.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1337986845' post='1668501']
Have just played first gig with my new (preloved) MiBass and it sounded great. I was worried it wouldn't have the grunt I wanted but it has plenty of volume. It has a very punchy sound almost like it's compressed. I much prefer the sound of the MIBass to my old TC Classic 450. I may have my Ashdown ABM up for sale soon at this rate.
[/quote]

Very interesting. How did you find the amount of volume on tap from the MiBass compares with the TC Classic 450? Tonally i loved the MiBass, but the one I briefly used didn't appear to have the heft behind it. Maybe I should review this...

Cheers

Geoff

The TC Classic 450 sounded VERY loud when I played it through the BC212 I used to have. I could never get the same volume when I played my ABM through the same cab (may be due to the weird compression circuits the TC uses to get more volume out of less watts) . So far I've played the MiBAss loud only once through an old Ashdown 4x10 provided at a gig I play at regularly and it sounded loud and clear. I'll be playing with a rocky 3 piece on Sunday through my ABM Neo 15" cab in a venue where you need to be LOUD so it will get a good test. I'll bring my ABM with me 'just in case' and I'll post on how things went next week.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1301658876' post='1184629']
I'm hoping they have dealt with the superfly and LG reliability issues because I do like Ashdown's other amps and a mini amp like this (that you can depend on) would be exactly what I need but all the stories of superflys and LGs overheating and cutting out put me off ever buying one which is sad because, as far a reliability is concerned, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my amp. We only hear about unreliable ashdowns but never the ones that give years of reliable service. - I have a small Ashdown EB 15 combo (which I bought for £150 secondhand) which I use for smaller gigs and it is absolutely BOMBPROOF! It has been subject to 6 years of abuse, thrown down stairs, left in boots of cars in sub zero temps for weeks, got soaked in water, turned up to 11, used and abused and played for hours on end..........and it just keeps on going. It is one of the early ones made in the UK and it's totally indestructable.
[/quote]

I've had exactly that experience with every piece of Ashdown kit I've ever owned. Never missed a beat.

Using a Superfly rig for several years now and, again, it has never let me down.

You're right that the only tales we generally hear of Ashdown gear are the "doom and gloom" ones. Human nature I suppose, but it is nice to have a sense of balance sometimes.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1338463683' post='1674899']
The TC Classic 450 sounded VERY loud when I played it through the BC212 I used to have. I could never get the same volume when I played my ABM through the same cab (may be due to the weird compression circuits the TC uses to get more volume out of less watts) . So far I've played the MiBAss loud only once through an old Ashdown 4x10 provided at a gig I play at regularly and it sounded loud and clear. I'll be playing with a rocky 3 piece on Sunday through my ABM Neo 15" cab in a venue where you need to be LOUD so it will get a good test. I'll bring my ABM with me 'just in case' and I'll post on how things went next week.
[/quote]

Top man! Thanks for that, I look forward to hearing how things went.

I'm a firm Ashdown lover (sounds almost dodgy, that!), and my ABM serves me very well. i got hold of a terror bass as a trade on here, and while i love its sound, looks and of course weight, for me the ABM is superior (apart from the weight, but that doesn't really bother me).

I'm also looking forward to trying the new ABM1000 at some point - but I don't think they are in the shops yet.

Cheers

Geoff

[/quote]

I'm a firm Ashdown lover (sounds almost dodgy, that!), and my ABM serves me very well. i got hold of a terror bass as a trade on here, and while i love its sound, looks and of course weight, for me the ABM is superior (apart from the weight, but that doesn't really bother me).

I'm also looking forward to trying the new ABM1000 at some point - but I don't think they are in the shops yet.

Cheers

Geoff

[/quote]

Cheers

Geoff

Well I played the first loud gig, in a rocky 3 piece band, last night with the MiBass. It was going through my 8 ohm Ashdown Neo 15" and it certainly did the job. At the start of the gig the master volume was at approx 3/4 and by the end it was maxed (my ears were ringing on the way home) but it didn't let me down. I don't think I have to worry about the sound level of this little amp and with two cabs and a 4ohm load I feel it could easily deal with the loudest of drummers. Although I didn't carry out a direct comparison I feel the volume and tone I got out of it was comparable to my ABM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1342011723' post='1727985']
Looking at a mibass220, it has two 8ohm speaker outs, would it be okay to connect a single 4ohm cab?

How would that affect the power output, cab in question is ashdown lb212.

Thanks
[/quote]

You would be getting the full power out of your amp that way, which is great. As long as you don't mix the 4 ohm LB212 with other cabs you'll be fine.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='leebassplayer' timestamp='1348504678' post='1814476']
a good lightweight cab i should say :)
[/quote]

I've played mine through a barefaced compact and it sounded great. But that'll cost you £540 and it will be a two month wait before you receive it. If I were you I'd go for a hartke hydrive 1x12 for a real lightweight rig. You can use two if you're playing a stadium.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha2bh_OZl0I[/media]

Edited by gjones

• 9 months later...

hallo, have a question:)
I have mibass 550 and using with laney B410CD cab (750W rms , 8Ohm). Is it safe to use it in this way? sounds good, but ashdown is only aprox 280W in 8Ohms..and the cab is 750W...so its huge difference . But sounds really good, this 410 Laney cab is very selective and with good horn , so hear everything in very natural way....but dont want to have accident one day during any gig...

Other option is: have possibility to buy really cheap one more laney cab , the same serie, but 210 - looks like the same speakers as in 410 but between 200-300W (the info on the back of the cab is blurred, hard to read anything , only that is 8Ohm and made in UK, can't find any info about this Laney B410CD or B210CD on the web..).

So..what seems to be better:
-mibass + single 410 ( cab gets aprox 280W , 8Ohm)
-mibas + 410 + 210 ( each cab will get aprox 250-270W in 4Ohms, together should be more than 500W ..but it seems that can be really close to the limit of this 210 cab:/ and I know that connecting together 410 and 210 sometimes is bad idea)

Can't test this 210 before buying unfortunetelly.
thanx in advance for help:)

[quote name='pgolowacz' timestamp='1373107683' post='2133759']
hallo, have a question:)
I have mibass 550 and using with laney B410CD cab (750W rms , 8Ohm). Is it safe to use it in this way? sounds good, but ashdown is only aprox 280W in 8Ohms..and the cab is 750W...so its huge difference . But sounds really good, this 410 Laney cab is very selective and with good horn , so hear everything in very natural way....but dont want to have accident one day during any gig...

Other option is: have possibility to buy really cheap one more laney cab , the same serie, but 210 - looks like the same speakers as in 410 but between 200-300W (the info on the back of the cab is blurred, hard to read anything , only that is 8Ohm and made in UK, can't find any info about this Laney B410CD or B210CD on the web..).

So..what seems to be better:
-mibass + single 410 ( cab gets aprox 280W , 8Ohm)
-mibas + 410 + 210 ( each cab will get aprox 250-270W in 4Ohms, together should be more than 500W ..but it seems that can be really close to the limit of this 210 cab:/ and I know that connecting together 410 and 210 sometimes is bad idea)

Can't test this 210 before buying unfortunetelly.
thanx in advance for help:)
[/quote]

What Ashdown mean is that you will get 280 watts (think of watts as power) out of a cabinet which has a resistance of 8 ohms and the full 550 watts out of a cabinet which has a resistance of 4 ohms. So don't worry you MiBass is designed to play through a speaker cabinet like your Laney and it won't damage it. If you get another 8 ohm cabinet and connect them both to you amp, the resistance will reduce to 4 ohms and your amp will produce more power and you will be even louder.

[quote]If you get another 8 ohm cabinet and connect them both to you amp, the resistance will reduce to 4 ohms and your amp will produce more power and you will be even louder[/quote]

yes, thats right. I just wonder what will be when this another 8Ohm cab is 210 and much weaker than 410 (even not 300W + 750W ) :) Will it be big difference comparing to mibass with only 410? In this set ( 410 + 210) amp will use 280W on each cab in 4Ohms and this 280W is almost limit of this 210...so probably I will have to reduce a bit volume on amp ..and Im not sure if then will be better than with single but strong 410 cab...