Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1195667' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:17 PM']Just had a watch of this... the opening salvo? You can change the front panel!

Also, to paraphrase part of it: 'This has a warmth that isn't really familiar to other class D amps.... amplifiers like this normally have one trick.... we've tried to make this more versatile than others...'

They've got their heads in the sand.[/quote]

To be fair, the man from Ashdown couldn't have looked more nervous, gave a fairly wobbly interview, but you're right they really need to think about how they're marketing this, and it may already be too late!
Changeable front panels is the norm with £10 Pay (through the nose) As You Go phones these days, they should just make the colour an option when you order it and that should be the end of it!
Why oh why do they not focus on the B&O power section and the fairly obvious high build quality?!

The pricing is about right on these, but I fear they won't be in line with the current competition and I doubt they'll be all that popular if it's the tried and tested (read same old) ABM/MAG front end.
I really hoped that they would try and do something like this but with the front end from their new Valve series which is apparently the dogs danglers...

Oh well.
Eude

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1195683' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:26 PM']To be fair, the man from Ashdown couldn't have looked more nervous, gave a fairly wobbly interview, but you're right they really need to think about how they're marketing this, and it may already be too late!
Changeable front panels is the norm with £10 Pay (through the nose) As You Go phones these days, they should just make the colour an option when you order it and that should be the end of it!
Why oh why do they not focus on the B&O power section and the fairly obvious high build quality?!

The pricing is about right on these, but I fear they won't be in line with the current competition and I doubt they'll be all that popular if it's the tried and tested (read same old) ABM/MAG front end.
I really hoped that they would try and do something like this but with the front end from their new Valve series which is apparently the dogs danglers...

Oh well.
Eude

Eude[/quote]

Beats me, I'd do the marketing for them ha ha, they always seem in such a rush to get stuff selling, strange, they should slow it down a little, to get it right, the lg and the superfly were great ideas poorly executed, in a rush, they could have been great amps esp the superfly. I don't get it, have they not heard of beta testing, Marks old company the green T did a lot of trialing before they launched their new range.

The reviews done by companies trying to sell this product could not of done more to put me off it! Everything about it seems plastic and cheap - concentraiting not on the amazing sound quality and impressive features which make it easy to use (no prizes for guessing why) and on the fact its avaliable in different pretty colours.

If it had simple controls similar to the Terror Bass, a decent compressor/limitor and perhaps a few fancy effects (Reverb, fuzz?) it would be perfect for my needs.

To be fair I'm still looking to try it out - find out for myself!

[quote name='dan670844' post='1195733' date='Apr 11 2011, 02:06 PM']Beats me, I'd do the marketing for them ha ha, they always seem in such a rush to get stuff selling, strange, they should slow it down a little, to get it right, the lg and the superfly were great ideas poorly executed, in a rush, they could have been great amps esp the superfly. I don't get it, have they not heard of beta testing, Marks old company the green T did a lot of trialing before they launched their new range.[/quote]

Totally agree, i've always wondered why Ashdown abandoned the Superfly ethos and didn't just iron out the flaws. That could have been their defining amp, the one thing that made them stand out as innovators. The digital front end on that amp still impresses me and i wonder why other amp manufacturers don't do something similar. We all like buttons and flashy lights after all!

Maybe they thought the name/design had too much stigma after the quality issues.

I also think they could have got someone a little better prepared for the interview. It sounded like their rep had just read the back of the amp box prior to filming and decided to wing the rest with some old cliches and baseless claims.

Evening Chaps,

Just thought I should jump in and clear up a couple of points here.

First of all the MiBass has been a long time in the making and we have waited until we could source a power section that we felt could deliver the goods properly, often in the past the power section has always been the weak link in the chain in any class D amp. The power amp that we are using in the MiBass blew us away in testing and is much more warm and powerful than any class D poweramp we have used in the past and also has handled anything we could throw at it during months of soak/play testing.

The front end is an evolution of the Little Giant preamp with a few nips and tucks under the hood, yes it isn't fully parametric but the controls do all interact with one another hence us describing it as semi parametric, we will however now simply describe it as an interactive eq if this will make people happier ;-) We think that its a great pre amp and offers a huge range of tones that can be shaped very quickly, deep bassy dub tones up to bright slap happy sounds no need for filter knobs or limiters, We had great positive feedback from the guys who tried it last week at the Musik Messe but would urge that you hang fire on opinions until you can actually try one in a shop first.

Finally the optional front panels.... Wow this seems to have stirred opinion! We have done lots of custom amps and cabinets over the years in different colours and finishes at the requests of artists and often regular gigging Joes who want something a bit special and more personal. We thought with the MiBass due to the way the front panel is an overlay it would be nice to offer people the chance to either pick their own colour for the front or design their own incorporating band logos or whatever they fancied. The key point to make here that this is optional and if you don't want to change anything then you don't have...

Thanks guys been interesting reading peoples opinions, any more queries just ask.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' post='1196330' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:38 PM']The front end is an evolution of the Little Giant preamp with a few nips and tucks under the hood, yes it isn't fully parametric but the controls do all interact with one another hence us describing it as semi parametric, we will however now simply describe it as an interactive eq if this will make people happier ;-)[/quote]

Interesting...does this mean that the filter Q isn't fixed, but varies according to where the other filters are positioned to give more constant response? If so this is quite a useful feature in practice though it's a tricky one to describe - 'smart' EQ might be one way I guess. Technically it would be sort of semi-parametric, but the other way round to what you usually get!

It looks an interesting product, but I think reliability and build quality will be crucial. My old (UK built) EB12-150 has never let me down and internally is nicely put together, I'd agree with others that it's a real shame the Superfly had flaws as the versatility of a digital front end would be great. Can I ask what is it that makes the power section special on this compared to other current class D offerings?

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' post='1196330' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:38 PM']Evening Chaps,

First of all the MiBass has been a long time in the making and we have waited until we could source a power section that we felt could deliver the goods properly, often in the past the power section has always been the weak link in the chain in any class D amp. The power amp that we are using in the MiBass blew us away in testing and is much more warm and powerful than any class D poweramp we have used in the past and also has handled anything we could throw at it during months of soak/play testing.

The front end is an evolution of the Little Giant preamp with a few nips and tucks under the hood, yes it isn't fully parametric but the controls do all interact with one another hence us describing it as semi parametric, we will however now simply describe it as an interactive eq if this will make people happier ;-) We think that its a great pre amp and offers a huge range of tones that can be shaped very quickly, deep bassy dub tones up to bright slap happy sounds no need for filter knobs or limiters, We had great positive feedback from the guys who tried it last week at the Musik Messe but would urge that you hang fire on opinions until you can actually try one in a shop first.

Finally the optional front panels.... Wow this seems to have stirred opinion! We have done lots of custom amps and cabinets over the years in different colours and finishes at the requests of artists and often regular gigging Joes who want something a bit special and more personal. We thought with the MiBass due to the way the front panel is an overlay it would be nice to offer people the chance to either pick their own colour for the front or design their own incorporating band logos or whatever they fancied. The key point to make here that this is optional and if you don't want to change anything then you don't have...

Thanks guys been interesting reading peoples opinions, any more queries just ask.[/quote]

Thank you very much for chiming and taking the time to clear up a few of the points.
Not many manufacturers, especially the big boys, make the effort to contribute to forums like this one, but it is always appreciated :)

Looking forward to trying one of these out when they appear in the shops, however I have a couple of further questions if you'll indulge me.

1. How does the 4 Ohm/8 Ohm switching work?

2. Any chance of you slapping in the dual tube front end in this in the future?

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' post='1196330' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:38 PM']yes it isn't fully parametric but the controls do all interact with one another hence us describing it as semi parametric, we will however now simply describe it as an interactive eq if this will make people happier ;-)[/quote]

Brilliant of you to come on and answer this thread, nice one :)

I don't have aproblem with it being called semi parametric (because it is), I have a problem with that being labelled as "7-band" when it really is only 4 band EQ, of which three are semi parametric :lol:

Looking forward ot trying one out :)

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' post='1196330' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:38 PM']The key point to make here that this is optional and if you don't want to change anything then you don't have...[/quote]
Hello, Mr Ashdown person. I wish you every success with the launch of the miBass but my question has to be asked: has anyone at Ashdown considered the wisdom of making a ten quid optional extra this product's main USP?

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' post='1196330' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:38 PM']Evening Chaps,

Thanks guys been interesting reading peoples opinions, any more queries just ask.[/quote]

Cheers Guys

Mark or Dan? ....

1/ I always liked the eq on the LG its the nuts for dialing tones quickly, as you say very versatile and very quiet great. superfly was also great.
2/ I have tried all Class D amps as I am a lazy bugger And have found them all wanting, as they lack dynamics and well grunt, if the Mi can deliver on that regard great I am sold.
3/ I like any colour as long as its black

Cheers

D
PS If you ever want to try stuff out, there is a certain pub in london were a lot of well knowns / senssionets hang out on a certain day . PM me if you like and I will tell you the name. Their house rig is a very early ABM I it played it last night......... sweet....

[quote name='stevie' post='1196766' date='Apr 12 2011, 01:28 PM']Hello, Mr Ashdown person. I wish you every success with the launch of the miBass but my question has to be asked: has anyone at Ashdown considered the wisdom of making a ten quid optional extra this product's main USP?[/quote]

In fairness its not the main thing is it? and its got some people talking about it. :)

[quote name='eude' post='1196547' date='Apr 12 2011, 09:33 AM']Thank you very much for chiming and taking the time to clear up a few of the points.
Not many manufacturers, especially the big boys, make the effort to contribute to forums like this one, but it is always appreciated :)

Looking forward to trying one of these out when they appear in the shops, however I have a couple of further questions if you'll indulge me.

1. How does the 4 Ohm/8 Ohm switching work?

2. Any chance of you slapping in the dual tube front end in this in the future?

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Hey Eude,

In answer to your questions;

1. No switching simply that in the way the power section works there isn't a noticable drop in power from 4 ohms to 8 ohms(it confused us at first too)
This will be great for anyone wanting to use a single 8 ohm cab.

2. We are actually throwing around a couple of ideas at the moment involving the all valve preamp from the 427 Smallblock head so will keep you posted ;-)

Hope this helps!

[quote name='stevie' post='1196766' date='Apr 12 2011, 01:28 PM']Hello, Mr Ashdown person. I wish you every success with the launch of the miBass but my question has to be asked: has anyone at Ashdown considered the wisdom of making a ten quid optional extra this product's main USP?[/quote]

Hey Stevie,

I guess it is a USP but certainly not the main USP of the MiBass... Hopefully when/if you get chance to try a MiBass you'll realise the faceplate thing
is just intended to be a bit of fun personalisation of what is a serious amp.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' post='1197499' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:35 PM']Hey Eude,

In answer to your questions;

1. No switching simply that in the way the power section works there isn't a noticable drop in power from 4 ohms to 8 ohms(it confused us at first too)
This will be great for anyone wanting to use a single 8 ohm cab.

2. We are actually throwing around a couple of ideas at the moment involving the all valve preamp from the 427 Smallblock head so will keep you posted ;-)

Hope this helps![/quote]

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up.

In response to your answer to question 2, if you require any additional hands on testing, I'd be more than happy to help out :)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1187193' date='Apr 3 2011, 10:31 PM']It looks like it has the typical useless Ashdown 'deep' switch and the eq looks confusing and clunky. I'm sure more people would prefer a compressor/limiter built in, perhaps even a knob to add sansamp-style valve-sounding grind and maybe something [s]ripping off[/s] inspired by the MarkBass magic EQ knobs - the VPL & the STD or whatever they're called.

I can't get my head around the point of the custom control panel - is it like apple engraving iPods to prevent people returning them if they change their mind after hearing it :)[/quote]

I use the "deep" switch all the time. I never use a compressor/limiter (don't like 'em). :) I actually think the custom control panel is pretty cool too.

FWIW, my old ABM500 (pre- Evo) consistently dusts everything else I throw against it (no idea where the "woolly" comes from either, unless you're trying to be Brian Bromberg). I'd love something lighter that sounds better (or even as good) but I haven't found it yet. Of course it depends to a great degree what you're putting through it and what you're playing it through....

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1198083' date='Apr 13 2011, 12:47 PM']FWIW, my old ABM500 (pre- Evo) consistently dusts everything else I throw against it (no idea where the "woolly" comes from either, unless you're trying to be Brian Bromberg). I'd love something lighter that sounds better (or even as good) but I haven't found it yet. Of course it depends to a great degree what you're putting through it and what you're playing it through....[/quote]

I'm in exactly the same position - If I could get the sound of my ABM400RC with EQ off, pre-shape on, preamp all the way to valve, gain up to 3/4 and volume to taste in a sub 8lb package I'd be a super happy camper (see the related thread I posted this morning). I've never played anything that sounds better for me. Perhaps now my band is 'going places' I should think about appraoching Mr Ashdown person about assisting in the development or road testing of such a beast!

[quote name='4000' post='1198083' date='Apr 13 2011, 12:47 PM']I use the "deep" switch all the time. I never use a compressor/limiter (don't like 'em). :) I actually think the custom control panel is pretty cool too.

FWIW, my old ABM500 (pre- Evo) consistently dusts everything else I throw against it (no idea where the "woolly" comes from either, unless you're trying to be Brian Bromberg). I'd love something lighter that sounds better (or even as good) but I haven't found it yet. Of course it depends to a great degree what you're putting through it and what you're playing it through....[/quote]

+1 I love ABM tone very warm, punchy, rich, I always cut the lows and push the mids a little to balance up, apart from that everything el flato. Makes me laugh when I pull the ABM out of the cupboard at the place where I am in the house band and seeing some of the Eq's that people have used. I really think a lot of people don't get It.... fook its simple.. how? no wonder the soundman is very often a little miffed

I have been using and endorsing Ashdown amps and cabs for well over a decade. I have yet to run into a problem with any of their amps or cabs. But once I did have to replace a light for the vu meter.

I own a LG1000 and it has never shut down on me nor has it given me any type of problem.

I play pretty much every genre of music there is and the Ashdowm amps are not at all a one trick pony.

Guys before you dismiss the new Mibass it really wouldn't hurt to give one a spin if you get the chance.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' post='1203086' date='Apr 17 2011, 11:49 PM']I have been using and endorsing Ashdown amps and cabs for well over a decade. I have yet to run into a problem with any of their amps or cabs. But once I did have to replace a light for the vu meter.

I own a LG1000 and it has never shut down on me nor has it given me any type of problem.

I play pretty much every genre of music there is and the Ashdowm amps are not at all a one trick pony.

Guys before you dismiss the new Mibass it really wouldn't hurt to give one a spin if you get the chance.[/quote]

Good to see you here Jauqo. Welcome.

• 1 month later...

This new amp looks great - exactly the spec I would have chosen if I were building my own amp (eq bypass, frequency select on the eq, headphone out, etc). Just curious about the 8 ohm/4 ohm thing - so it won't lose much power if you use a single 8 ohm cab? Sounds awesome. Will there be a mibass cab? I see they're a lot cheaper on Thomann than the RRP, might order one. What cab would people get to go with this head?