Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1326403019' post='1496892']
yea, the 12s sound really meaty, i love them.

I'm afraid I don't have much experience with markbass stuff :( I've only played through a Markbass rig once for about 15 mins while testing out my jazz bass, so I wouldn't be able to give you a good comparison, sorry.
[/quote]

No bother mate, just wanted to check.
I've always loved the MarkBass tone, and I'm likely to need a bigger rig some point this year, was just going to go with a MarkBass again, but I'd really like to "buy British" if it's comparable...
Keep us posted on how you get on with your MiBass, it "sounds" like a pretty sweet amp!

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Have a listen to these audio clips from this German website: [url="http://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/ashdown-mibass-550.html"]http://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/ashdown-mibass-550.html[/url]

I'm sold! One of these babies is gonna be away for a month with me in March. I think one month of gigging everyday (sometimes twice a day) will be a good test for the little mofo. Let's see...

;)

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1327251195' post='1508344']
Hey guys! Have a listen to these audio clips from this German website: [url="http://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/ashdown-mibass-550.html"]http://www.bonedo.de...mibass-550.html[/url]

[/quote]

Sounds excellent and very Ashdown like. Unfortunately I've just sold my lightweight TC head to buy a big ol Ashdown ABM head. I didn't buy the MiBass because there's not enough feedback or reviews online to make an informed decision. Once I can be sure of reliability I may go for one once my back starts to creak with the weight of my gear.

I had a fairly lengthy go with the 550 and had very mixed opinions. The good news is that it does have more poke than the little giant series, so I think Ashdown are telling it how it is when they say the power section is a major step forward, also it has more legs than the Ampeg PF500 which I had (and had major reliability problems).

That's the good stuff. The bad was that the inherent tone was not to my liking and I found the EQ section very frustrating. The build quality also felt very cheap to me, all sharp edges and iffy printing for some of the labels, the Ampeg and Orange gear feels a LOT better made, for what that's worth!

Anyway, it strikes me that the power section bodes well for the future models that will ultimately replace the MiBass but for now, it's not the amp for me.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1327252809' post='1508377']
<snip> I found the EQ section very frustrating. The build quality also felt very cheap to me, all sharp edges and iffy printing for some of the labels, the Ampeg and Orange gear feels a LOT better made, for what that's worth!
[/quote]
That's what the review says, although it's overwhelmingly positive.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1327251195' post='1508344']

I'm sold! One of these babies is gonna be away for a month with me in March. I think one month of gigging everyday (sometimes twice a day) will be a good test for the little mofo. Let's see...
[/quote]

You've talked yourself into a little review of intense use. Would be very interested in your views. What cab(s)?

I've just got back from my first band practice using my new rig, and I have to say....wow! The MiBass sounded incredible and it was so easy to get the exact tone I wanted. It sat perfectly in the mix and was easily loud enough with the volume at just under half. Paired with my Epifani 212 and the sansamp the tone was killer. I can't comment on the shape and deep switches yet, as I didn't use them, but the eq was very user-friendly, and the parametric eq provides great versatility.

I would say that anyone considering getting one of these should definitely go for it, you will not regret it.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1327272001' post='1508791']
You've talked yourself into a little review of intense use. Would be very interested in your views. What cab(s)?
[/quote]
Hehe, no problem. I'll keep you guys posted. The cabinet is likely to be my Aguilar GS212 (8ohms), but the discontinued Ashdown LB-212 is tempting me. A 14kg 2x12 that costs under £400 it's almost to good to be true, but the comments about the cab in this tread are very positive. I'll see if can give one a try once I have the amp sorted. I might even bring my Aggie and do a little A/B.

[b]My Ashdown MiBass 550 Experience[/b]
I recently received a Ashdown MiBass 550. A nice size micro amp and it's not heavy but it seems to be built like a mini tank I wouldn't worry to much about serious damage to it if it were to hit the floor. I spent some time with it just playing it solo(not in a band context) through a Ashdown CL610. After 5 minutes it is strongly evident that it is indeed related to Ashdown. The MiBass 550 has that low end thump and thickness that so many associate with Ashdown. I utilized various techniques and the MiBass 550 was definitely hanging. .

The next day I used the MiBass 550 in rehearsal with my band. Bass, drums and guitar( the vocalist wasn't there). Most of the music is very high energetic and aggressive with the bass very driving. With bass effects used on some of the songs sparingly. After spending so many years playing various Ashdown bass heads this little amp let it be known that it is no slouch.. Even though the Ashdown MiBass is a class D amp the low end thump was there. Now does it sound like a solid state or tube amp? I think most would agree by sound alone that it does deliver the low end and balanced highs and mids and at the end of the day I think it would pass with most players who can respect the MiBass for what it is, A micro class D amp that sounds extremely close to the big boys. If you're looking for a bass amp and in this case a class D amp with a lot of highs that can get to the point of brittle with no low end or mid balance or just basically an uneven eq spectrum this is not the amp for you.

The eq seems to do what it's suppose to do and in a good way. Overall a well balance eq system that shows through sound and versatility that it is connected to the amp. The bass is definitely warm and for a little more added thickness in the bass frequency department, if you engage the deep button you seriously will notice a difference in the low end. The mids controls does deliver that mid range growl softly or that just a little more growl added if needed. The highs are evenly balanced and not brittle at all.

I used my Xotic 4 string (ash body, maple fb) with the Hipshot double D-tuner, allowing me to drop my E and A string down to C# and F#.

Does Ashdown deliver in the micro amp department? I would give a huge yes.

If you want that Ashdown thump in a well balanced tonally compact amp, Ashdown definitely delivers through the MiBass series.

And I'm basing my MiBass 550 experience after having been an Ashdown user and endorser since 1998.

Wow, thanks for a great review of the Mibass

I've been looking into how to downsize/lighten up my rig. Gigging 2-3 times a week is really starting to get tiresome with my current rig (ABM500 RC Evo III / Ashdown 2x10 / Ashdown 1x15) racked up with a tuner, power conditioner etc but I love the sound of the head. I know there's some Ashdown haters on here but I really like their stuff.

Would you say the Mibass can deliver similiar tones/volume as the ABM500? Obviously the ABM has the valve preamp so I appreciate there will be differences, but can it come close?

Cheers

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1327772273' post='1516593']Wow, thanks for a great review of the Mibass[/quote]

You're very we;come.

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1327772273' post='1516593']Would you say the Mibass can deliver similiar tones/volume as the ABM500? Obviously the ABM has the valve preamp so I appreciate there will be differences, but can it come close?[/quote]

Yes it would. The first thing you will notice about the MIBass550 is that it is warm and it has a nice warm thickness to it, very similar to the ABM 500. Minor difference in tone overall but it is not lacking in the warmth department at all.

I think in a blindfold test it would really be hard to tell if one is listening to a MiBass 550 or the ABM 500.

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' timestamp='1327776503' post='1516677']
Does anyone know how it performs with a single 8 ohm cab? I know it's meant to put out the same power into an 8 ohm load without any form of physical switch, does it work?
[/quote]

I use 4 and 8 ohm cabs and so far the MiBass 550 seems to perform well.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1327770018' post='1516549']
[b]My Ashdown MiBass 550 Experience[/b]

Does Ashdown deliver in the micro amp department? I would give a huge yes.

If you want that Ashdown thump in a well balanced tonally compact amp, Ashdown definitely delivers through the MiBass series.

And I'm basing my MiBass 550 experience after having been an Ashdown user and endorser since 1998.
[/quote]

Good review. There doesn't seem to be much out there as far as reviews are concerned so this is very helpful especially since you use Ashdown and Know what an Ashdown 'should' sound like.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1327861262' post='1517833']
Good review. There doesn't seem to be much out there as far as reviews are concerned so this is very helpful especially since you use Ashdown and Know what an Ashdown 'should' sound like.
[/quote]

Thank you. One thing I have noticed about all of the Ashdown amps that Ive played, is that they all have a little something different and extra but one can definetly reconize that they are related to the same Ashdown warmth and versatlyu that so many are familar with.

Even the new ABM 1000 class D amp.

With the exception of the MK500. A killer amp that is in it's own world :)

Edited by JAUQO III-X

Just received a mibass 550 and had a quick play through my compacts. Impressive indeed. Tone not far from my ABM500 and love the parametric eq. Missing the mute though lol. I can live with that though. Quiet fan, and dead quiet when I'm not playing. So far I'm liking it, see what its like in a band situation at practice though.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1328028779' post='1520563']
Just received a mibass 550 and had a quick play through my compacts. Impressive indeed. Tone not far from my ABM500 and love the parametric eq. Missing the mute though lol. I can live with that though. Quiet fan, and dead quiet when I'm not playing. So far I'm liking it, see what its like in a band situation at practice though.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Thanks, keep it coming

I've not yet had a chance to give the Mibass a proper band situation work out yet, hopefully at the weekend. However, there are a couple of interesting things I've found.

Firstly the input gain seems much more 'responsive' than previous Ashdowns I've used. Notably I'm not having to go above 12 o'clock on the input to get a nice amount of movement on the VU needle: the same bass into my ABM needs a lot more, usually up to 3oclock. I guess it could possibly be a different type of pot used (linear vs log taper).

Secondly, the VU meter background lighting flickers to red when I'm overloading the input - with such a small VU this makes it really easy to see when it's peaking. A nice touch.

So far I'm very pleased. I got it as a B-stock return from Thomann, but honestly can find nothing wrong with it which might suggest it's been used and returned (eg scratches, greasy fingerprints etc), and functionally it works like it says on the tin. Can't be bad for £370!

Anyway, I promise to do my duty and report back when I've been able to give it a proper workout.

Cheers

Geoff

Well back again folks, after a band practice last night. We were trying out a new rehearsal room, with supplied drums, backline, keyboards and PA. The supplied bass gear is an Ashdown ABM500 4x10 combo, an earlier version. Crackly pots galore lol. I gave it a quick try but switched to the MiBass and BF Comapct which I'd also brought along.

The MiBass looks so dinky atop the compact, I'm used to full size MAG and ABM heads! Below are some thoughts I had from last nigths session, with some comparison to my ABM.

Input
I don't like the tiny VU meter - its nothing compared to the full size one I'm used to, and I have to keep bending down to peer at it. The upside is that Ashdown appear to have fitted a red peak LED behind the VU screen, allowing you to see easily (and at a distance - I was across the room for part of the time) when you are overdriving the input.

Controls
The Active, Deep, Shape and EQ swtiches feel a bit cheap to me, but they won't be getting much use anyway - I generally start flat and use the EQ to get the sound I want, so the EQ switch will probably be permanently switched in, the others out. The front panel looks like it was lifted from the Little Giant to be honest (and I have read somewhere that the MiBass preamp is based on it's class D predecessor).

All the rotary knobs and sliders are all smooth and nicely weighted.

I was surprised to find myself missing the Compressor and Valve drive of my ABM, though. I hadn't realised how much I use and rely on them I guess. I know the compressor gets knocked by people, but I've not found it bad if used gently. I need to think about this.

EQ
I love this to bits. I've never had a semi-parametric EQ before so it took me a short while to get to grips with it. It was worth it though.
Being able to hone in on a specific frequency range to manage (cut or boost) is just great. I was able to get a nice bit of 'growl' with the lower mids boosted.

For info only as I normally cut treble, full treble boost adds very little noise or hiss to the sound.

Output
Once I'd tinkered with the EQ to get a pleasant tone, bit of bass boost, and lower-mid up a fraction more with the parametric knob at about 10 o'clock, I gave it some welly (a technical term which I can't explain now). It's definitely loud - not Terror Bass bonkers loud, but certainly on a par with my ABM500. More importantly, the tone doesn't seem to suffer adversely as the volume is turned up, even to max. I don't know how many Watts it is pushing into my single 8 Ohm Compact, but I'd say its just as much as an ABM.

So overall I'm impressed. I miss a mute switch, and don't like the tiny VU meter. It's loud and and has a great EQ section. However, sitting on the Compact it looks so small and non-descript - almost like an over-sized car stereo.

Maybe that's the attraction - discreet but powerful.

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff, really useful. Mine will be used with a Compact too.

I'm waiting for the Matamp 500 to be ready as that would be my first choice (for no other reason than liking the idea of it being a Matamp!) with the Mibass being the second option. Matamp will allow a week test as I can't get to the factory in the foreseeable.

I'm still looking for somewhere to try a Mibass so you impressions are valuable.