Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1318611437' post='1404405']So....anyone care to guess what my new amp is?

I tried out the MiBass 550 this afternoon,and promptly purchased it.
Quality wise it's totally solid. The controls are smooth and it doesn't look or feel
as cheap as the Little Giant....it's up there with my Genz (maybe slightly better?).
Sound-wise,it's brilliant.It has a great,clean flat tone and the EQ has great range. It can go
from a super bassy and fat sound to a modern hi-fi,full range tone. It also doesn't have the
hiss in the top end that I found in the TC heads.
I can honestly say that I think this head is a serious contender in the small heads market.I
preferred the sound of the MiBass over the TC and even the Little Mark. I find it similar to
my Genz Benz in some ways,but possibly with greater EQ range.

Ashdown have really got it right with the MiBass.....I'd recommend anyone to check it out,
especially all the non Ashdown fans-it may just change your mind. It did mine.[/quote]

Pics! What cab/s you using? How you getting on with it? Very interested in getting one of these for gigs
Where I can't be arsed to take my big rig.

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1318963177' post='1408378']
Pics! What cab/s you using? How you getting on with it? Very interested in getting one of these for gigs
Where I can't be arsed to take my big rig.
[/quote]

+1
Really very interested in this head, and the new little bastard 550 head, or whatever it's called, with the same power section :)

Eude

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1318963177' post='1408378']

Where I can't be arsed to take my big rig.[/quote]

You don't need any pics-it looks like it does on the website :)
I'm still using my Bergantino HS410 right now,but i'll probably get a couple of matching Ashdowns when
they bring out their small cabs.
I'm loving it...it sounds great.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1318976282' post='1408614']
You don't need any pics-it looks like it does on the website :)
I'm still using my Bergantino HS410 right now,but i'll probably get a couple of matching Ashdowns when
they bring out their small cabs.
I'm loving it...it sounds great.
[/quote]

Nice one dude.
What kinda small cabs are coming out?

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was mentioned (or rather hinted at) that it just sounds equally loud at 8ohms as it does at 4ohms, no switching or anything.

I suspect a lot of amps are like this tbh, although comparing them with like for like cabs at different impedances is tricky. The extra volume that comes with going from 8ohms to 4ohms is pretty much always because someone has added an extra cab!

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what makes an amp a 'digital' amp? (Electronics dull here but is there an analogue to digital converter, and, if so, how is a digital signal amplified, and does it get converted back after tonal manipulation or after the power amp?).

The LGs can be snapped up at the mo', are there only poor experiences? - I'm wondering that they would still be in manufacture if they were any good.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1322604397' post='1453547']
Can someone tell me what makes an amp a 'digital' amp? (Electronics dull here but is there an analogue to digital converter, and, if so, how is a digital signal amplified, and does it get converted back after tonal manipulation or after the power amp?).

The LGs can be snapped up at the mo', are there only poor experiences? - I'm wondering that they would still be in manufacture if they were any good.
[/quote]

I have an LG 1000 and have used this for a few years now.

Basically I got one of these new for I think £249 delivered. The main reason I got this was to power two 4 ohm cabs as there is effectively two 500W power sections within it. The pre-amp section is weak I admit and I do not use the EQ- so basically I am using this as a power amp - my pre-amp is my Bass Pod. At this price how can anyone say they are crap- totally reliable- light and nowhere near as fragile as I thought it was- or seemed.

Through my bass pod between my Markbass LM11 and the LG there is no difference in sound or tone. The LG will power two cabs which the Markbass will not. The LM11 was twice the price of the LG.,

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been into PMT Oxford after work and had a play with the MiBass 550 through an Orange 212 cab. I have been interested in getting something smaller and more portable for gigs, as I don't drive, and my LH1000 weighs more than my house. I have never really got on with the TC stuff, I find the sound too...processed I guess.

The only way I can describe just how good this is is by saying that my jaw physically dropped when I turned it on and started playing. After hearing good things about it on here, I thought that it would be a nice little amp, but I did not expect this level of quality from it. The parametric eq gives you so many options, but is also so easy to use. I was able to get from a grinding rock tone to a nice warm jazz/funk tone in about 30 seconds, and that was having never seen the controls before. The bass tech in PMT told me that the power amp section is actually designed by Bang and Olufsen.

I was so surprised by just how nice it was that I have that annoying thought in my head of "do I [i]really [/i]need my big hartke rig anymore?" I mean, the LH1000 and HX410 are amazing, and they give me exactly the tone I want, but they are a long way from what I would call portable. Since I don't have a car, I simply cannot take the LH1000 to gigs further than walking distance from my house. The MiBass would fit into my gig bag, and I could get a nice 212 or 210, like the Orange, and be sorted for any gig.....Sure it wouldn't look anywhere near as "rock'n'roll", but it would save me a hell of a lot of ballache transporting stuff.

If anyone gets the chance to try one of these, do it, they are fantastic. Although I will warn you, your wallet will not thank you afterwards :) because you will want to buy it. The only reason I don't currently have the MiBass sitting in my room is that the shop closed while I was still trying it out, haha.

Now someone buy my aerodyne so I can actually afford this :)

Edited by jackers

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1323887323' post='1468331']
Since I don't have a car, I simply cannot take the LH1000 to gigs further than walking distance from my house. The MiBass would fit into my gig bag, and I could get a nice 212 or 210, like the Orange, and be sorted for any gig.....Sure it wouldn't look anywhere near as "rock'n'roll", but it would save me a hell of a lot of ballache transporting stuff.
[/quote]

I have to suggest BF. You can easily walk with one of their speakers in your hand (especially a Midget), use the back strap of your guitar gig bag and if the amp goes in that you have one hand free for the fare. Seriously.

I'm really interested in this new wave of affordable, high power Class Ds, especially if they are as good as you describe. I certainly agree tiny bass stacks look crap, they do, there's no getting away from it. For anything other than the lightest jazz we expect a lovely big cab, preferably two stacked, with a suitably sized amp glowing on top. However, this is so impractical I'm surprised its taken so long to come up with alternatives.

No doubt there is a group of smuggly smiling bass players with effective and tiny rigs who feel aloof at the sight of a 6ft stack.

Hi guys,

Played one of these today, as I'm on the hunt for my first bass rig. Thought it sounded pretty good, although I wasn't blown away. I have to say it didn't seem to handle 'active' pickups too well. I used an Overwater/Tanglewood Contemporary J, and it seemed to distort very quickly on the low E, even when I rolled back the input gain a lot. I tried a bass with passive pickups and it sounded MUCH better. Perhaps need to spend more time with the amp to get the kind of tones I want.

Anyone know how these compare to the Genz Benz Streamliner 600, as that's the other small amp I want to try.

[quote name='bisonkills' timestamp='1324165731' post='1471518']
Hi guys,

Played one of these today, as I'm on the hunt for my first bass rig. Thought it sounded pretty good, although I wasn't blown away. I have to say it didn't seem to handle 'active' pickups too well. I used an Overwater/Tanglewood Contemporary J, and it seemed to distort very quickly on the low E, even when I rolled back the input gain a lot. I tried a bass with passive pickups and it sounded MUCH better. Perhaps need to spend more time with the amp to get the kind of tones I want.

Anyone know how these compare to the Genz Benz Streamliner 600, as that's the other small amp I want to try.
[/quote]

hey, did you use the active switch on the MiBass? because without it on, I found the same thing as you when using a bass with active pups, but when I hit the active switch, the problem went away.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1302695248' post='1198083']
I use the "deep" switch all the time. I never use a compressor/limiter (don't like 'em). :lol: I actually think the custom control panel is pretty cool too.

FWIW, my old ABM500 (pre- Evo) consistently dusts everything else I throw against it (no idea where the "woolly" comes from either, unless you're trying to be Brian Bromberg). I'd love something lighter that sounds better (or even as good) but I haven't found it yet. Of course it depends to a great degree what you're putting through it and what you're playing it through....
[/quote]

+1 I'm exactly the same. BUT have fould an amp that just shades it for tone, however its the Marshall VBA!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally pulled the trigger and bought one of these today. I don't have a cab to go with it at the moment, but I have been playing it through headphones, and it sounds very nice. I'm looking forward to getting a cab in the next couple of weeks, and giving it a good test at band practice :) I will be able to post a better review of it then.

so, I have just taken delivery of an epifani ul2 212 courtesy of old horse murphy (cheers man :)), and had a quick test of the mibass at bedroom levels. I have to say I am seriously impressed. This is the first head and cab I have played where I would seriously consider playing without my sansamp, it sounds that good. The rig will get it's first real test at my rehearsal next week, but so far I have high hopes :)

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1326398780' post='1496826']
so, I have just taken delivery of an epifani ul2 212 courtesy of old horse murphy (cheers man :)), and had a quick test of the mibass at bedroom levels. I have to say I am seriously impressed. This is the first head and cab I have played where I would seriously consider playing without my sansamp, it sounds that good. The rig will get it's first real test at my rehearsal next week, but so far I have high hopes :)
[/quote]

Nice one mate! Gotta love those 12" cabs :)
Just out of curiosity have you got any experience of MarkBass kit? Just wonder how the MiBass might compare to a LittleMark, you see?...

Eude