Why become a member? ×

Encores

BigRedX

Went to see The Jim Jones Revue last night, a cracking gig but highlighted one of the things about live performances these days that I really don't like - the automatic and lengthy encore. In fact TJJR's encore wasn't so much an encore but a second set following a 45 second break!

IMO no matter how how big and famous the band is, getting an encore is not an automatic thing. Encores need to be earned by both the band and the audience. The audience must want the band to come back and play another song and they must show their appreciation appropriately. That doesn't mean simply 30 seconds of applause and a couple of people shouting "more". And from the band's PoV the set should not be structured so that without the encore it is incomplete. The encore is an extra, a way of saying thank you to the audience for their support and appreciation. It should not be guaranteed, and also it shouldn't go on almost as long as the main set!

Can I start a campaign for real encores? To bands play your set but don't assume that you'll get called back for an encore unless the audience really wants it. To the audiences can we please have a proper show of appreciation in order to get the band back - that means at least 2 minutes of non-stop clapping stomping and cheering. That should trigger one maybe two more songs. Any more is only acceptable if the the alternative is the audience going on the rampage.

Who else is with me.

Edited by BigRedX

I'm in full agreement. Not that we always stick to this.

I've recently had a promoter asking us to ensure our set is finished by 'x' time allowing for encores. As we're support band I said we won't be doing any. I'll check my watch, introduce the last song as such and mean it.

I agree that an encore should be exactly that, an extra part of your performance, that is only performed, if asked for.

Too many bands do the last song, walk off for 30 seconds, than come back on with the "we`re just going to do one/two more" thing. To my mind, these songs were obviously part of the planned set, so they should walk off after having done them, not before.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1179172' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:53 AM']I agree that an encore should be exactly that, an extra part of your performance, that is only performed, if asked for.

Too many bands do the last song, walk off for 30 seconds, than come back on with the "we`re just going to do one/two more" thing. To my mind, these songs were obviously part of the planned set, so they should walk off after having done them, not before.[/quote]

I always think it's funny when pub bands do this and everyone has already gone.

I agree that you shouldn't just assume you'll get an encore and do one regardless. I think I've managed to make that point now with the covers band - with one former band, the guitarist/vocalist would insist on doing an encore regardless of whether there was any call for one, or even any applause (we generally went down pretty well but you certainly wouldn't say that we were always asked for an encore). Plan for one but don't do it automatically.

We never plan for it, we've been stumped on some of our longer gigs when they've asked for an encore and we've played pretty much all our songs. :)

I agree, you play your set, you get off. If the audience wants more, they'll let you know and you can go back on and play a couple more songs (assuming you're not support, a support band playing an encore is a pain as they'll inevitably run over and upset the rest of the gig). If you play your set and the audience doesn't call for more, that's fine, you've done your set.

Yeah, it's tricky - save decent songs for an encore that you might not get, or dig out some old crap you've not practiced for ages and leave a bad impression - either way you're stuffed.

I always liked David Gedge of the Wedding Present's way of handling it.

At the end of the last song, he'd say "Thankyou very much, we're the Wedding Present, we don't do encores".

Edited by RichardH

[quote name='RichardH' post='1179402' date='Mar 28 2011, 12:59 PM']Yeah, it's tricky - save decent songs for an encore that you might not get, or dig out some old crap you've not practiced for ages and leave a bad impression - either way you're stuffed.[/quote]

I'm of the opinion that the last song is the one that people will remember so it's well worth saving a real good one for the encore.

Our encores are Fooled again or Stay with me, typically.

We finish strongly but I am not that precious about them...if people want them, they'll tell us and we'll do them.

If the night had gone poorly, we wouldn't feel like doing them. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me. :)

It wasn't so much about the sorts of bands that BassChat members are in - wouldn't have thought that any of us would be so arrogant, but big gigs with well known bands where it seems accepted practice that they will play the last third of the set as "encores" provided that their initial retreat from the stage hasn't been met with total silence. Although I can't help but think that even it was they would still be back.

This thread was inspired partly bu the gig I attended last night and also by the recent thread on Bauhaus who I saw four times in the early 80s and only once did they come back on stage to do an encore and that was only after a good 5 minutes of clapping and cheering from the audience. That to me is how encore should be done.

Edited by BigRedX

I totally agree.

Have seen far too many bands end their main set without doing their big hit.

Pulp and Common People springs immediately to mind. Also I don't think that Eddie comes out until Maiden's encore now either.

I wasn't implying that Eddie was gay BTW.

Edited by Heathy

I saw Hayseed Dixie with some friends last year - the lead singer was clear about his attitude on encores - "instead of going off for a few minutes ...we're gonna stay right here and carry on playing..we don't do encores.."

Soooo refreshing!!!

I hate the falseness of having to stand around and clap... you know the band is coming back out because the song everyone has been waiting all night to hear still hasn't been played.

Ban encores. There's no need for them.

Edited by Eight

Absolute agreement here too, I don't like 'em. I find the whole idea embarrasing and contrived, even when you get a "real one".
If you worked in a office all day and as soon as you got home a few gobby folk turned up in your garden looked through and said "go back to work we want to see you do more work more work MORE WORK!!" ...well.... know what I mean?...I know its not quite the same, but I'm close.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1179503' date='Mar 28 2011, 02:00 PM']This thread was inspired partly bu the gig I attended last night and also by the recent thread on Bauhaus who I saw four times in the early 80s and only once did they come back on stage to do an encore and that was only after a good 5 minutes of clapping and cheering from the audience. That to me is how encore should be done.[/quote]

i saw Bahaus at the Brixton gig when they first reformed. IIRC they did 3 encores. And marvellous they were too.

[quote name='Eight' post='1179827' date='Mar 28 2011, 06:15 PM']I hate the falseness of having to stand around and clap... you know the band is coming back out because the song everyone has been waiting all night to hear still hasn't been played.

Ban encores. There's no need for them.[/quote]
It's a brave/foolish band that adopts a "no encores" policy.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1179139' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:13 AM']Went to see The Jim Jones Revue last night, a cracking gig but highlighted one of the things about live performances these days that I really don't like - the automatic and lengthy encore. In fact TJJR's encore wasn't so much an encore but a second set following a 45 second break!

IMO no matter how how big and famous the band is, getting an encore is not an automatic thing. Encores need to be earned by both the band and the audience. The audience must want the band to come back and play another song and they must show their appreciation appropriately. That doesn't mean simply 30 seconds of applause and a couple of people shouting "more". And from the band's PoV the set should not be structured so that without the encore it is incomplete. The encore is an extra, a way of saying thank you to the audience for their support and appreciation. It should not be guaranteed, and also it shouldn't go on almost as long as the main set!

Can I start a campaign for real encores? To bands play your set but don't assume that you'll get called back for an encore unless the audience really wants it. To the audiences can we please have a proper show of appreciation in order to get the band back - that means at least 2 minutes of non-stop clapping stomping and cheering. That should trigger one maybe two more songs. Any more is only acceptable if the the alternative is the audience going on the rampage.

Who else is with me.[/quote]

Me.

It's just like tipping in the USA. So I'm *expected* to leave what, 20%, regardless of the service?
A couple of times service was pretty bad and made the point of not leaving anything. Actually, once I left one cent :) That one time the waitress came out behind us very irate. She got to hear me. Probably thinks I'm crazy.

In one of the bands I play we normally plan an encore, something that sounds good and would be a good way to leave... but we also do a proper ending first. But yeah, it feels a bit contrived.

In my last band whenever we did gigs we had the iPod queued up ready. We hit the last note and hit play. The audience continued dancing while we got a beer and then packed down. At clubs we used to give the DJ the nod on our last tune so that he was ready. The singer then just handed over to the DJ. Sometimes the DJ wasn't ready but that was their problem.

Keeping your best tunes for an encore? You actually have tunes that you consider to be better than others? Shouldn't they all be the best you can play?

Our drummer had the encore mentality. We're not playing Wembley Stadium mate - just crack out the tunes and leave them wanting more.

Edited by TimR

Last few gigs I did with my last band we were called back to do encores, after playing two one-hour sets. We made the mistake of trying to do 3/4 songs (as one of the band members was encouraging us to keep going - drunk maybe?) and the audience lost interest. Really should have done one more song, then left whilst still ahead. An encore isn`t another set!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1179986' date='Mar 28 2011, 08:39 PM']If the audience has had enough of you by the end of your last set then you've got to start doing a better job. No encore? You screwed up![/quote]

I think that's the point. If they're not cheering for an encore then they probably don't want one.

If we have a dance floor full then we've probably done the job we set out to do and it's time to go home.