Why become a member? ×

Lead guitarist had a crack at bass!

thebrig

Every week our lead guitarist jams with some guys he used to play with in the past.

Anyway, last week the bass player could not make, but he sent his bass along for someone else to have a go.

Yes! you've guessed it, our lead guitarist, who doesn't usually listen much to what I'm playing,
but still likes to tell me [b][u]how[/u][/b] I should be playing, decided that he would be the bassist that night.

And yes! you've guessed right again, by his own admission, he made a total mess of it.

Even though I'm not the greatest player around, he now thinks I'm the dog's whatsits!

So maybe the penny has finally dropped, and he now appreciates what the bassist does!

Maybe all guitarists should be made to have a session on bass, just to drag them out of their own backsides!

In a band that I was in, the lead guitarist left to become the bassist in another band.

A while afterwards I got the startling admission "Now I realise what you were on about, when you said that the bass is a vital element in a band. I thought it was all bullsh*t until I started playing bass, now I know you were right".

If only more guitarists appreciated what we actually contribute to the band!
Now and again, I get a look, you know, a guitarists scowl, across the studio or stage that I'M playing the wrong thing...then the sheepish look of apology when he realises its him thats playing the wrong riff....that kinda makes up for some of the crap lol.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1147786' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:23 PM']In a band that I was in, the lead guitarist left to become the bassist in another band.

A while afterwards I got the startling admission "Now I realise what you were on about, when you said that the bass is a vital element in a band. I thought it was all bullsh*t until I started playing bass, now I know you were right".[/quote]

He said something similar to me as well. "It's a different instrument and requires a completely different approach." That and "but I don't think I'll ever get the hang of fingerstyle though."

[quote name='icastle' post='1147808' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:39 PM']I can usually spot a guitarist playing bass, it generally comes out as complete mush - I've always found that drummers make quite good bass players though...[/quote]

I always found drummers make good tea or sheds.

A guitarist in my band had to play bass in one of his other bands. He told me, it was a really tough night, because he had to play all the time and couldn't stop for a rest when he wanted, which is what he did as a guitarist!

[quote name='icastle' post='1147808' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:39 PM']I can usually spot a guitarist playing bass, it generally comes out as complete mush - I've always found that drummers make quite good bass players though...[/quote]
Huzzah.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1147944' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:15 AM']A guitarist in my band had to play bass in one of his other bands. He told me, it was a really tough night, because he had to play all the time and couldn't stop for a rest when he wanted, which is what he did as a guitarist![/quote]

Absolutely. Guitarists (& keyboard players) dont realise the luxury of being able to stop playing to twiddle with their gear / have a drink /
look for the next page / have a rest / talk to the girl at the front etc etc , yet if the bass player stops for half a bar you get
'the look' from most of the band!

In a band I was in, in the UK some years ago, the guitarist (who was very good) and I decided to change instruments for a laugh one night behind the singers back, just for one number to see if he'd actually notice as he rarely turned his gaze from his adoring audience.

It went as well as could be hoped for (singer noticed after we'd finished) but afterwards, the guitarist uttered those magic words,

"Weird, It's like......... you don't always play the same stuff as me"

MASSIVE +1

Technique is usually totally wrong with no idea of underpinning and rhythm.

I get the usual 'its easy'. then they play and sound awful.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='1148116' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:31 AM']Funny I used to be a guitarist but went onto bass because of course it was easier, with it only having four strings. ( here it comes.......)[/quote]

It's not easier, it's just that us bassists don't need as many strings to sound awesome! The extra two on an electric guitar are merely a pointless luxury. :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1147861' date='Mar 2 2011, 11:19 PM']Last time I saw my guitarist play bass his face reminded me of the time I picked my cats up after they'd be neutered - same expression![/quote]

Brilliant! I now know what I'm going to do the moment I plug in at our next rehearsal... I'm going to hand the bass straight over :)

Exactly!! If only more guitarists were this honest and understanding to what a bassist does.

Is it me, or has any one else noticed how much guitarists are getting slated here lately? I personally don't mind, theres alot of crap out there and some of them need to be knocked down a peg or two. I also wonder if we're getting the same treatment on a guitarists forum. I'd like to read that!

Dan

I suspect a part of the reason guitarists don't play bass well is that they're primarily thinking of it as a lead instrument playing a melody, rather than a rhythmic instrument playing an accompaniment. If you're rhythmically oriented then it's less difficult to see what a bass player is required to do, which is probably why drummers find it less difficult to adapt to (except for all those funny notes ;-).

Over the years I've come to play a lot more rhythm guitar, and can see a big difference in my approach to bass compared to when I was a teenage guitar hero.

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1148283' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:44 PM']Is it me, or has any one else noticed how much guitarists are getting slated here lately? I personally don't mind, theres alot of crap out there and some of them need to be knocked down a peg or two. I also wonder if we're getting the same treatment on a guitarists forum. I'd like to read that![/quote]

At the risk of mass generalisation, experienced bass players do seem to be their own worst critics.
That kinda makes 'knocking us down a peg or two' a bit of an unfulfilling exercise. :)

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1148293' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:53 PM']I suspect a part of the reason guitarists don't play bass well is that they're primarily thinking of it as a lead instrument playing a melody, rather than a rhythmic instrument playing an accompaniment. If you're rhythmically oriented then it's less difficult to see what a bass player is required to do, which is probably why drummers find it less difficult to adapt to (except for all those funny notes ;-).

Over the years I've come to play a lot more rhythm guitar, and can see a big difference in my approach to bass compared to when I was a teenage guitar hero.[/quote]
+ 1 to that.

In my couple of spells as a lead guitarist, my solos have been rather uninteresting, as they have been in perfect time with the bass & drums, with no "crossover" melodies.

We all do an important job in our bands, but I think bassists get lumbered as the least talented, from a position of not really understanding the instrument, not from actually having played it. I`ve total respect for lead guitarists who create fantastic melodies that crossover the straightforward melody of the song.