Why become a member? ×

Just auditioned a drummer Part 2

leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' post='1137755' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:24 PM']No problem mate. I understood that it's all a matter of opinion.

I guess we have both learned a lesson here. I will not offer advice any more unless it's requested and maybe she, (hopefully) will reflect on whether any of it was warranted.

Kids eh.......[/quote]

Some years ago I was filling up with petrol and a guy pulled up alongside and started putting petrol into his brand new at the time top of the range Turbo diesel Vectra SRi, When I pointed it out to him with nothing more than "isnt that a diesel mate?" from across the opposite pump he told me to "f*** off!". Point taken and a friendly wave and toot of my horn as I passed him a few minutes later with his hazards flashing at the side of the road! :)

Its been a lesson I have carried with me ever since, I will help anyone in times of need but I only need telling once if they dont want it.

Don't worry Leschirons, I know that if someone sent me that e-mail I'd probably get a little uppety about it (though if I'm honest I probably just wouldnt reply) but the words would be in my head for a while and I'd definitely give it a good thinking over. I'm confident in my abilities and I've played a few festivals - sometimes it makes me feel like im a much better bassist than I am! A few grounding words won't hurt her and hopefully in the long run will actually do her the world of good.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1137863' date='Feb 22 2011, 11:38 PM']Have you still got her number - she sounds better than a drummer I know. :)[/quote]

I do actually. Could also let you have Charlie Drake's as well although I do believe he had to let the dustbin go due to hard times.

So let me get this straight. Your function band auditioned a tattoed 18 year old French Goth called Alice who arrived with a doting Papa but no sticks? She lacked the basic skill of timekeeping. You helped her out with some constructive advice and she blew a pert French raspberry at you.

How could this [i]ever [/i]have gone well? Pour yourself a long one and take the rest of the night off :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1137762' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:28 PM']drummers never do. you have to tie them to the kick drum.[/quote]

not all of then. I met one once to have a little jam, and I didn't even get to play my bass before we...
but that's another story! :)

Yet it's true that they're all crazy.
Which can be pretty cool sometimes :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1138010' date='Feb 23 2011, 02:03 AM']Once again this proves the theory.

Girls can't drum well.

Now if you excuse me, I'll be sipping from my glass of awesomeness.[/quote]

Really?

There's a million of them out there like this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqTg7iqx94"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqTg7iqx94[/url]

If she'd have turned up, I wouldn't have posted in the first place.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1137992' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:47 AM']So let me get this straight. Your function band auditioned a tattoed 18 year old French Goth called Alice who arrived with a doting Papa but no sticks? She lacked the basic skill of timekeeping. You helped her out with some constructive advice and she blew a pert French raspberry at you.

How could this [i]ever [/i]have gone well? Pour yourself a long one and take the rest of the night off :)[/quote]

Equal opportunities and all that. Appearances are nothing. The fact she turned up with dad probably makes him a responsible parent. I wouldn't have let my 18 year old daughter go to meet a bunch of strangers in the middle of nowhere. To his credit, he did not open his mouth once other than to say hello and goodbye.

She could have been great but, obviously wasn't.

Sounds like she was protecting her self-esteem with a remarkable [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect"]Dunning-Kruger reflex[/url]. You should ask the next drummer you audition if he has one, [url="http://www.bikester.co.uk/bicycles.html"][color="#000000"]just for sport[/color][/url]. I'd never say I'm better than another musician, then again I have no self-respect :)

Edited by menolikeslap

[quote name='menolikeslap' post='1138280' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:30 AM']Sounds like she was protecting her self-esteem with a remarkable [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect"]Dunning-Kruger reflex[/url]. I'd never say I'm better than another musician, then again I have no self-respect :)[/quote]

I hadn't heard of that. Most interesting reading. Thanks for posting the link.

I think this is symptomatic of many drummers. Based on my experience of auditioning them, many just cant play well enough to be in a proper band. Its almost like they consider that since they have a kit, they are a drummer. This seems different from guitarists and bassists many who try and realise their own limitations so remain bedroom players, it seems that drummers are thinner on the ground so get touted around more "looking for a drummer? I know a guy at work who plays and might be suitable..." Personally I think good drummers are really hard to find yet integral to the success of the band. Have laboured on with crap ones hoping they'll improve without success. Consequently am hanging on to the current one, they're like gold dust. Mind you, if you've still got her number........

I just realised you are in France. I was there for about 6 years playing in Paris and had quite a few similar experiences. That said, it could happen anywhere.

I am surprised that you have got so much mileage out of this thread though. After all, thats why you have auditions right? To see if the applicant is suitable? To sort the wheat from the chaff. They were not suitable so hey try someone else.

If i posted a thread for every time we had someone fail an audition it would probably need another Forum.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1138487' date='Feb 23 2011, 02:06 PM']I just realised you are in France. I was there for about 6 years playing in Paris and had quite a few similar experiences. That said, it could happen anywhere.

I am surprised that you have got so much mileage out of this thread though. After all, thats why you have auditions right? To see if the applicant is suitable? To sort the wheat from the chaff. They were not suitable so hey try someone else.

If i posted a thread for every time we had someone fail an audition it would probably need another Forum.[/quote]

The thread has probably lasted a while because people post replies that warrant a reply. Like yours.

The post wasn't about a crap drummer failing an audition. It was about my disbelief that her idiot of a tutor would put the poor girl forward for the audition in the first place.

Apologies that this thread has now lasted another 10 seconds.

Edited by leschirons

Never try and educate and idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you from experience.

You should have just told her that having just listened to her comments she could find gainful employment as a train buffer as clearly, stopping trains with her head was about all she was useful for.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1138967' date='Feb 23 2011, 06:23 PM']The thread has probably lasted a while because people post replies that warrant a reply. Like yours.

The post wasn't about a crap drummer failing an audition. It was about my disbelief that her idiot of a tutor would put the poor girl forward for the audition in the first place.

Apologies that this thread has now lasted another 10 seconds.[/quote]

Just surprised that there is any surprise that a musician turns out to be not very good.

And being a teacher. Anyone can be a teacher if they find someone willing to be their student. It isn't a given that because someone is a teacher they know what they are doing.

This is the music business.

[quote name='menolikeslap' post='1138280' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:30 AM']Sounds like she was protecting her self-esteem with a remarkable [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect"]Dunning-Kruger reflex[/url]. I'd never say I'm better than another musician, then again I have no self-respect :)[/quote]
Can't remember who it was, but someone had a quote from John Cleese as a signature - “To know how good you are at something requires the same skills as it does to be good at that thing. Which means that if you are absolutely hopeless at something, you lack exactly the skills that you need to know that you’re absolutely hopeless at it."

Just thought I'd share. :)

[quote name='leschirons' post='1138146' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:27 AM']Really?

There's a million of them out there[/quote]
I hope you realised I was joshing there :) Take that joke like a tequila shot! [i](with salt...)[/i]

It's just that there's less female drummers overall, and therefore the portion of good ones is EVEN smaller!

[quote name='leschirons' post='1138146' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:27 AM']like this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqTg7iqx94"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqTg7iqx94[/url][/quote]
She good.

Edited by Bankai

This is the lottery of auditions.

I far prefer referrals...and avoid them most of the time as you may have 1st hand experince of interesting players anyway.
If a music scene is active, then you could know who is about and pick one up from there.
Some people will often put people up without it being solicited, but is is never as easy as that.

But if you have to go through auditions, expect a lot of messing around.

At least they made it out of college or that bedroom.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='leschirons' post='1137633' date='Feb 22 2011, 08:16 PM']Fair point Pete about the "maybe we're crap and she was right all along" and I understand what you're saying but I'm afraid you'll just have to trust me on this one.

Her drumming was reminiscent of Charlie Drake falling down the stairs with a tin dustbin. If you're that good, you'd at least be able to listen to what the other players are doing and lock in to at least one of them. She was totally unaware of anyone else in the room and even her dad's eyebrows were going up and down a bit :) Probably wondering where all his tuition money had gone.

Anyway, all over now, I wished her well for the future and she'll make that, whatever she makes it.[/quote]

There's a strong argument here for always recording auditions and rehearsals :)