Why become a member? ×

singing and playing bass at same time

daz

Why is simultaneously playing bass and singing so hard? I have laughed to myself when I have seen on ebay a few times,reasons for selling such as [i]'practically new bass, my boyfriend decided it was too hard to play bass and sing at the same time, so i am selling this on his behalf...'[/i] etc

I admit i tried and to my total surprize find it very difficult indeed.(ie: flipping impossible) :) I have looked on the interweb and find its sposed to be harder to do than playing lead and singing together. Any comments?

Any help? :)
cheers

Edited by daz

I think Groucho said of Gerald Ford he "couldnt chew gum and walk at the same time"
but its true, singing and bass playing is tough because you have to have two different beats in your mind at the same time, and thats why (save the jokes) Drummers are good at it....I know ,but really! they are.

I can do it, but have to practice a lot, and look to the singer to make sure I'm not going "rargar"

It depends on what you are playing. Simple, root note, rhythm bass lines are easy to sing with.

If you are playing more complex lines, then you have to know the lines well enough, that they are semi-automatic and then you can sing without having to concentrate on them, so much.

Of course, strumming a few chords on an ordinary guitar is easier. But bass and vocals just needs more practice.

Against my better judgement I end up doing both at the local jams. The songs are ones that I've played and sung for years and tend to be 12-bar based. Firstly the bass parts are fairly straightforward walking lines or just roots. I can pretty much play them automatically allowing my brain to concentrate on the lyrics. Trying to learn some new numbers at the moment and you're right, it isn't easy. How Phil Lynott, Macca or Sting do/did it beats me.

The more difficult thing is controlling the band, some of whom I may have never played with before, playing bass and singing. Sometimes it just crashes and burns but mostly it's a great feeling when it all works out.

i usually sing the likes of mollys chamber, hoochie coochie man, hard to handle, fire (hendrix) and foxy lady.

Most times on these tunes the words fall on the beat and I think thats why its easier to sing them. I can in no way sing and play daytripper all the way through or good times bad times either.

In no way am I a good singer, however I love singing so I do it in my band from time to time, although mollys chamber is a song thats always me that sings in out setlist woo hoo.

The key I found is that you have to train your brain to cope with both parts of what you're playing.....

You have to learn the ability to allow your body to function in two separate ways. Once you start to gain the skill it becomes easier quickly.

It's tough initially. I've found that if you break the song down into component parts such as playing the root note and sing over that, then gradually build up the rest of the bass parts over that.

Never had a problem with this which I imagine, is due to having started playing bass and singing at the same time initially.

I cover the vox on maybe 95% of the set list in a rock band but I have to admit, Jailbreak is a no-no for me.

I'd guess the easiest way to start is with some root note 12 bar stuff. (Or Achy breaky heart)

I seem to remember Sting being asked about this. He said that his method was basically down to practice. He would learn the bass part and vocal part separately until he knew them without thinking, then put them together.
It has worked for me to some extent with backing vocal parts - just wish my voice sounded ok :)

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1134121' date='Feb 20 2011, 10:26 AM']Sing and play simultaneously every gig and miss it when I don't sing while playing. As others have said here, it's a skill that comes with practice.

That said, I did find singing the lead vocal on the Chilli's Suck My Kiss a real challenge. Worked on it for months :)

T[/quote]

Hmmmm, now then, theres a challenge hahahaha. We have touched on that tune. I may try it out with tthe singing too.

I sing about a dozen numbers in my band and seem to get by reasonably well, although I have to cut back on the basslines a bit. A simple root fifth or root third fith can get me by if the band is really tight.
I used to try and play the original bassline but that was impossible.
I have a DVD by The Eagles where Timothy B Scmidt sings some of his numbers and plays a nice simple line, so I suppose I,m in good company. :)

As people have said, it's just practice.

I sing a couple of things to myself, when practicing or on stage with out a mic ( you know the thing).

I found playing bass lines that you don't think about really helps and playing stuff that is very rhythmic so you can do that with out thinking leaving you to concentrate on the vocal aspect. The first track that got me into that was, hold your breath, Primus. 'John the fisherman' more specifically.

Let us know how it goes!

Dan

well they are two different instruments, your voice and your bass.

If you know how to play bass but dont know how to sing you wont be able to do both at the same time effectively. It works the other way too - if you know how to sing but dont know how to play another instrument (guitar, piano, anything) then you will struggle to play both simultaneously.

I strongly suggest vocal lessons for anyone who even wants to have a microphone at a gig - you'll be taught how to sing correctly and how to protect your voice :)

I do it and although mostly not a problem, there are still songs I struggle with where my fingers are playing different time to my words, I can usually get aroumd it sometimes by getting it right with practice but sometimes just cheating by dumbing down the bassline or slightly changing the melody. Yeah I know it's a cop out but I'm not freaking Mark King. Andy

[quote name='grayn' post='1134041' date='Feb 20 2011, 08:51 AM']It depends on what you are playing. Simple, root note, rhythm bass lines are easy to sing with.

If you are playing more complex lines, then you have to know the lines well enough, that they are semi-automatic and then you can sing without having to concentrate on them, so much.

Of course, strumming a few chords on an ordinary guitar is easier. But bass and vocals just needs more practice.[/quote]

+1. However I ironically seem to struggle less with more busy, complex lines (within reason of course). Practice, practice, practice. Learn the line then learn the singing and put them together. I was called upon to do it before I could really play at all so learnt to do it along with learning to play. Having said that if I have a lay off for a while it takes me time to get up to scratch again. Of course there are some lines that are far more difficult than others, mainly for rhythmic reasons.

You need to know the song really well. I sing harmony and sometimes when working on new songs I either find I can't remember the harmony part or I can't sync the vocal with the bass line, it generally comes together without much effort once the song becomes more familiar though.

You have to have the bass part down to the extent that you don't have to think about it at all, because you will need to be putting all your effort into the vocal. That's the part the audience will connect with, so it needs to be your main focus. If there's a part where you're finding the syncopation difficult, slow it right down and practice the parts together until you feel how they slot together in all the difficult bits, then gradually speed it up and you should find it feels more natural.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just found out Dee Dee Ramone was a fellow sufferer. He was initially the band's lead vocalist, though his (then) inability to sing and play bass at the same time resulted in original drummer Joey Ramone taking over the lead vocalist duties

Edited by daz