Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1320955178' post='1433773']

Where did you get the bass from ?? looks fantastic !!!
[/quote]

Thanks man!

Got it from a dealer in the US (it was on ebay) - Simon (fellow Basschatter) helped me to make the deal.

Glad you like it! I should have it early next week - the anticipation is killing me!

Cheers

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Basses/Celinder%20Update%20P/DSCF1170.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Basses/Celinder%20Update%20P/DSC01839.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Basses/Celinder%20Update%20P/DSCF1172.jpg[/IMG]

My Celinder P Classic with a jazz neck and currently strung with flats. Took it to an audition a few weeks back and it nailed most of the old covers. Still had to use a 5 string for stuff beyond 1985 though.

If I ever sell it, I won't be replacing it with anything similar. Amazing vintage tone for something so new.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1319021618' post='1408906']
You should! Inspired by this thread, I took my old Precision to a rehearsal last night for the first time in ages. I usually take the Stingray or Shuker. To be honest, I'd forgotten just how good a passive P sounds in the mix. I was smiling all the way home :)
[/quote]

Ok, I finally did it :) managed to lay my hands on a late 70's P from this very forum [attachment=93712:70's P.jpg] (pic is not great as had to use flash as we had no sun here today :))

Not had a chance to try it in a band setting yet but it really seems to have a kind of deeper but brighter creamier sound to it than my newer P.
Hopefully get it set up properly for me in the next week or two and should be my new go to bass.

Nice bass Don, you took the plunge then. When I got my 70s Precision, I met a fellow Basschatter - there were 3 of us there, all buying selling, like something from Only Fools and Basschatters - who explained that the pickups on 70s Precisions were wound to have a more scooped sound, unlike the 60s thump sound, and todays more mid-present tones. Hence more depth to the sound.

4.9kg/10.8lb isn`t too bad, I`ve heard of - tho never encountered - 12 & 13lb Precisions.

My `77 weighs in at around the 10lb mark. Because of the added weight I`ve had to shorten the length of my strap a bit, and now I have less back problems when playing. Plus, it`s easier to play with the strap being that little bit shorter. So all good really :)

[sub]Right! DRUMROLL....[/sub]

[sub]FINALY found a picture of my long lost love - 76 refinished with Brass pickguard[/sub]

[sub][/sub]

[sub]If ANYONE sees this beauty around, let me know, Id like to know what happened to her[/sub]

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1322077475' post='1446312']
Ok, I finally did it :) managed to lay my hands on a late 70's P from this very forum [attachment=93712:70's P.jpg] (pic is not great as had to use flash as we had no sun here today :))

Not had a chance to try it in a band setting yet but it really seems to have a kind of deeper but brighter creamier sound to it than my newer P.
Hopefully get it set up properly for me in the next week or two and should be my new go to bass.
[/quote]

Just had my luthier strip this one down and set it back up for me. Thought I'd post what he found on this S8 serial
Pickups are 77, Neck has a 78 stamp on the heal, Pots are 77, and the scratch plate sticker is the same same serial number as on the headstock. So she seems to be all origional :) and the latest date puts her at a 78.