Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1325165122' post='1480399']
...I'm tending to agree with you, it looks kind of wrong. I might just revert back to the BBOT or go for a high mass.
[/quote]

As has been said a million times, Leo got it right in the first (or possibly second) place as far as bridges go. There is nothing at all wrong with the BBOT and in my experience a BA or hi-mass bridge makes little or no difference to your tone. There is certainly more than one BC thread on [i]that [/i]subject. Happy New Year! :D

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1325506690' post='1483663']
A Judas Priest tribute bass ?! :lol:
[/quote]
Hey, in that case you'd have so many song titles to use as an alias! 'Grinder', 'Metal God', 'Steeler', 'Exciter', 'Blodstone', 'Jawbreaker', 'Invader', 'Devil's Child', 'Turbo Lover', 'Painkiller' and, of course, 'Leather Rebel' :D

ED: Oh, as long as using those names won't be 'Breaking the Law', that is. ;)

Edited by Immo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1325506068' post='1483656']
As has been said a million times, Leo got it right in the first (or possibly second) place as far as bridges go. There is nothing at all wrong with the BBOT and in my experience a BA or hi-mass bridge makes little or no difference to your tone. There is certainly more than one BC thread on [i]that [/i]subject. Happy New Year! :D
[/quote]

Happy new year to you too mate!
Also thanks for your input, I reverted back to the BBOT yesterday. Yes you're right the BA didn't make any difference to the tone at all.
I found that out after installing on my old PJ (I do agree with their claims of greater sustain and easier intonating though)
but saying as I'd just paid £80 for it, it was staying put lol.
I installed it ungrooved as I didn't fancy filing the saddles and I'd read of other players using them this way without any problems.

I now have the dilemma of either selling it or hanging on to it to see if the sought after prices go silly.

Edited by pst62

I routinely replace the BBOT bridge with a Schaller 3D, not for any huge sound difference (there isn't any, and I'm fairly doubtful about the sustain thing, as well), but because if you play with the heel of your hand on the bridge a lot like I do, the Schaller is simply a more comfortable shape. Plus, I've found the lateral adjustment useful in the past for correcting any slight pole/string misalignment, something you can't really do on a BBOT. Never been particularly keen on Badasses, tbh - they seem like an awful lot of money for what you get.

I wouldn't go back to a straight P after using PJs, (they're still a P, just with more options), but I've some GAS at the mo for a double-P, just to hear what they sound like.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1325510984' post='1483730']
I routinely replace the BBOT bridge with a Schaller 3D... ...because if you play with the heel of your hand on the bridge a lot like I do, the Schaller is simply a more comfortable shape.[/quote]

This is a fair enough reason for bridge replacement and I do a lot of palm muting too -- what I do is fit shorter saddle set screws to avoid painful hand-shredding, so I can keep my BBOT with no problems.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1325510984' post='1483730']
I wouldn't go back to a straight P after using PJs[/quote]

My PJ was this Squier. I bought it for a change from the norm, put the maple Mighty Mite J neck and a BA II on, but as much as I tried just couldn't get to like the sound of the J pup (even after upgrading the stock pups with Wilkinsons) I ended up playing it using the P pup alone. Being back at square one, I re-installed the stock pups and BBOT and sold it on Ebay.
http://

Edited by pst62

IMO it's looking better with the BBOT :)
[url="http://[IMG]http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/unraveled1962/BitsaPrecision2-Copy.jpg[/IMG]"]http://[IMG]http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/unraveled1962/BitsaPrecision2-Copy.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Edited by pst62

I absolutely love Precisions, so here are my two favourites :

Fender 2010 Highway One - Best bass I have ever played, everything about it is beautiful and I love how the finish shows the use it has had. Quite a few dents and gouges in the finish along the bottom from gigging, scratch plate has a lot of pick marks(although you can't see them that much in the pics), the finish is coming away on the back from belt rash and where my arm/wrist rubs on the body it is buffing the finish so probably will start wearing through soon. This bass sounds perfect and has a nice weight to it.

Fender 2004 Mike Dirnt sig - great bass I have had this since 2004 and it saw me through a lot of gigs from 04-06, have recently put a set of chrome flats on there and that has improved the playability and tone a lot - always used to use rounds. The only downside for this bass is the weight but that's due to the ash body.

[attachment=96331:DSCF1014.jpg][attachment=96332:DSCF1015.jpg][attachment=96333:DSCF1018.jpg][attachment=96335:DSCF1037.jpg][attachment=96336:DSCF1039.jpg][attachment=96337:DSCF1044.jpg]

B)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1325720239' post='1486782']

Flats on a Dirnt a winning combination :i-m_so_happy: :sun_bespectacled:
[/quote]

Thanks!, I always used rounds until about 2 years ago where I made the change to flats on my basses - so much better all round, I just love them!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1325771023' post='1487382']
Don't think it will ever get changed now.
[/quote]
There are people using the same LaBella's since 60's-70's, so you don't have to worry about changing them anyway. :D

Edited by Immo

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1325771023' post='1487382']
My first proper excursion to flats was with my Dirnt. LaBellas, thought I'd give it a go to see what the big thing as about them. Really suits the bass I think. Don't think it will ever get changed now.
[/quote]

I like flats on my Jazz, but didnt like them on the P's, they both have rounds

I posted my Precision near the beginning of the thread, but a quick repost while talking about bridges...

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2yv1hxl.jpg[/IMG]

My precision started as a bog standard MIM Jazz (its a 2003 version). Needed a lot of TLC when i first bought it, but eventually I upgraded it with SPB's and a Gotoh 201 bridge.

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2iu2j2h.jpg[/IMG]

I like the 201 - I haven't noticed any tonal difference with it, but it just feels more 'solid' and stable that the BBOT, which was fairly worn out (the G-saddle bent off to the right).

My Marcus Miller Jazz has a Baddass 2 bridge - I've never needed to tinker with it much but like someone else has just said, you don't seem to get much for your money. The 201 was diffinately better for the £40 I paid for it!

That's my oppinion anyway :)
L

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1325790801' post='1487857']
Mine is strung with Rotosound 66s, I'm tempted to try flats though as I'm a big Cliff Williams fan and I'm wondering what the tonal differences are!
[/quote]

Its odd because I've tried Flats on P's twice and didnt get on with them but love them on the jazz.