Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332067844' post='1582654']
One of those awkward moments when your ex visits and your current squeeze is in the house... this 76P was mine for 36 years and now belongs to another... but don't they look good together, though? *threesome fantasy*

The owner was kind enough to lend me this 76 for a project which needed 'that' sound... I didn't want to replace the flats on my custom P to make one recording... thanks very much, Dave! It's going to be very hard to give it back! ;)

Mark :)
[/quote]
[i]What[/i] a [i]pair[/i]! :o

While its a lovely warm spring day, I thought you might like to see what was a 1996 Korea Squier P Bass.
It has been fitted with a tort pick guard, a fake F****er logo, Seymour Duncan SPB 1 vintage pickups, a chrome bridge and pickup cover.
Why I hear you say? Because I wanted a replica of a late 60,s P Bass for my 60,s covers band.
Incedently, I tried to get a 1969 yob logo which i,m quiet pleased with. :D

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1332587876' post='1590308']
My 21st birthday present back in 1996. 16 years on, still sounds ace and [b]still looks like new[/b]!
[/quote]M
Maybe it's because you don't play her enough? ;)

Only kidding, really nice bass, love the colour. :D

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1332591719' post='1590385']
M
Maybe it's because you don't play her enough? ;)

Only kidding, really nice bass, love the colour. :D
[/quote]

She's sat in her case for 8 of the last 16 years if i'm honest. Gets played a lot more recently though. I love the colour too. I remember the guy in the shop saying it was called electric blue. Not sure if he was making it up though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331389685' post='1572223']
[b]My Custom Precision Has Landed![/b]

First posted this in Build Diaries, but I reckon out of 20,000-odd BassChatters, there must still be at least four or five who haven't seen this! :lol: And I feel 'Precisions' should be it's rightful home. Now read on:

There are various features that I like about Precision basses spanning the 50s, 60s and 70s. What if it were possible to bring them together in one bass? I like the 50s vibe, but I like the comfort of contours. I like the 50s-type pickguard shape but also the early 60s-type 3-ply guards. A 51-type single coil pick-up is fine, but the 57-type split pick-up is more versatile, imho... and I got very used to the 70s-type 'F' stamped neck plate on my beloved USA Fender 76 Precision...

So I approached our own Howard Satterley (The Bass Doc) with a very dodgy Photoshop mock-up of what I wanted... this was the brief:

Body: Alder in vintage white. 57-type contours and radiussing, with routing for 51-type control plate. 62-type 3-ply pickguard in mint/black/mint, cut to 51-type shape.

Neck: Allparts Fender-licensed one-piece maple neck with skunk stripe, truss rod adjustment at heel. 51-type headstock shape. Fender 'spaghetti' decal under clear coat. Vintage tint. 70s-type radius. Synthetic bone nut. Black dots.

Hardware: Fender strap buttons. Side-mounted jack socket in cat's-eye plate. 57-type bridge with threaded barrels. 51-type control plate with chrome dome knobs. 70s-type 'F'-stamped neck plate on black cushion. Kluson reverse vintage tuners. La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL strings.

Electrics: Seymour Duncan Vintage SPB-1 split pickup. CTS solid shaft pots. Ceramic disc 0.05uF cap.

Am I a happy bunny? Well, finally I know what 'plays like butter' means. The set-up is perfect, the action low and there is no fret buzz whatsoever from any string at any fret position. It sounds great, very warm, woody and present, with that classic 'clicky' attack when played with a pick...a lot like a Precision Bass, in fact. ;) So yes, I'm a very happy bunny indeed!

My Precision Bass GAS is finally over! Many thanks and heartfelt gratitude to Howard for his skill, endless patience and excellent communications. And thanks for all the bubble wrap, Uncle Horrid! :D

[/quote]

Drool!!! :gas:

oooohhh, can I play?

Here's my Mexican Special - a 'Cowpoke'. Some brave soul stripped all the paint off to reveal a rather lovely natural finish. She's been modded with a fantastic Schecter bridge and a brass nut and sounds fantastic.It's a keeper. Check out the slimmed down headstock.

I realise it's a 'Marmite' Bass - you either love it or you hate it - but I'm a fan and I can't understand why they're still not in production.

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1332659150' post='1591164']
I don't like Marmite but do like your bass :D
[/quote]

ahhww shucks....
I feel lucky to have found it - I didn't even know the model existed until I saw a picture on Fleabay. There are quite a lot of posts about them over on TalkBass, with people either raving about them or recoiling in horror. I like those reactions.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334579808' post='1617898']
Did you take the pics? Nice depth-of-field control... :happy:
[/quote]

Yes, Nikon D60 with a Sigma 30 mm/1.4f. A small depth of field is a natural consequence when shooting free hand in insufficient light :)