Why become a member? ×

When's it time to sell up, move on

Marvin

It's attitude that makes you think about jacking in - there's no particular time, we can all become dejected when events seem to go against us! If you can't find a band that works out, set yourself some personal objectives. Brush up on your technique, or learn something new, challenge yourself! It'll be time well spent when other opportunities present themselves.

Was this just a question out of general interest or is there something deeper going on? You appear to be only 37, there's a good few years left in you yet (if it's you you're talking about) Depends if it just doesn't work for you at the moment. Take a break if it's that.

I will probably pack up in a year or so. Fed up gigging, fed up rehearsing for gigs, fed up lugging gear about. And, would like to do more fishing. However, still buying stuff. Maybe that's my passion and not playing so much these days.

When you can't be bothered anymore and you start thinking mid-song, what am I doing here?

I shut down for about 18 months, but the drag was getting to me way before that. I took the time out and came back when I felt like doing it again. I lost a heap load of work and to this day, don't get the calls I used to, but that is a blessing in some ways because I now have a very good regular band which keeps me enthused..
In the NY I'll probably put one or two more together but they will just fill in around my main gig.

I never got round to selling though..but after 30 odd plus years of playing, I needed a break

Edited by JTUK

Dont sell up and do go fishing, I manage to be in a gigging band and go fishing (although I'm getting fed up of ice breaking!).
When I was about 20, we went to Coventry visiting the then soon to be sister-in-law.
3 piece on in a pub called the Cottage.
All three in their 80's doing nice laid back jazz standards.
I want to do that please.
Karl.

I'm finding that playing in pubs is losing appeal to me these days.They seem to be closing,or not doing bands anymore.
Then you have to record a demo cd ,and go on the list when you do find pubs that do gigs. Also, playing in pubs with
one man and his dog is soul destroying.

I was thinking of doing 'corporate gigs' , but I don't think you can do many proper rock covers. And we all know about Mustang Sally .

I may just jam in rehearsal rooms for fun in the new year,without the intention of gigging and see what happens.

I know how you're feeling Marv. I'd say just leave the basses alone for a couple of weeks and see if you miss it.

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Time to sell up and move on?

When you don`t enjuoy gigging/rehearsing any more, and when you go wekks without picking yr bass up, only to find that when you finally get round to it, theres no enjoyment there any more.

Would say tho, always keep one bass back from sale, and if possible, at least a practice amp. Cos you just never know.................

[quote name='leschirons' post='1059960' date='Dec 15 2010, 03:02 PM']Was this just a question out of general interest or is there something deeper going on? You appear to be only 37, there's a good few years left in you yet (if it's you you're talking about) Depends if it just doesn't work for you at the moment. Take a break if it's that.

I will probably pack up in a year or so. Fed up gigging, fed up rehearsing for gigs, fed up lugging gear about. And, would like to do more fishing. However, still buying stuff. Maybe that's my passion and not playing so much these days.[/quote]

I feel this way too, particularly regards rehearsing and lugging the equipment. But the payoff always makes up for it. I won't stop unless they make me.

I'm thinking of jacking it in. I'm not sure I enjoy playing, I like the idea of playing and being in a band but not particularly fussed about the reality.

Although I think the main reason is my playing is so poor I struggle with simple straightforward stuff regardless of how much I practice, I just don't enjoy it as a result.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='silddx' post='1059998' date='Dec 15 2010, 08:31 PM']Oh yeah? :)

They've had some lovely carp out of Redmire very recently.[/quote]

I think I've got to admit to having become a fair weather angler.

Most of my adult life I've fished all year round and loved it, but this year I suddenly don't want to do it anymore.

Getting my fishing fix with a daily dose of Matt Hayes on Quest.