Why become a member? ×

The Best Bass Playing Job

Pete Academy

I guess it's all very subjective, depending on people's particular fave bands or artists, as to what the best bass playing job would be.
Nathan and Pino were what came to my mind as having played the pick of some of the top jobs in pop/rock/etc. I'd also ad Levin and Sklar to my own mix.
For me then, being in the position of a 'first call' player and having the pick of the litter could be the best job.
Playing for the likes of Gilmour/Floyd, Peter Gabriel or Eric Clapton would certainly do it for me.
Or maybe it was that cr@p pub gig I played last week with the cr@p sound and the cr@p audience!!! :) :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1048158' date='Dec 5 2010, 12:47 PM']I remember seeing a documentary about Jamiroquai, where the band was on a fixed wage for doing nothing.[/quote]
It's called [i]a retainer[/i] - not that uncommon. Been on retainers myself in the past.

For me, being a backing bassist for other artists wouldn't be the best bass job. It has to be something where you can have some input & not just copy what someone else has done for a song.

Billy Sheehan might be one of those with the best job. Playing your style in covers & original songs & teaching others at clinics sounds like good fun to me.
Money doesn't make it the best job, enjoyment does (money helps tho :) ).

[quote name='lowdown' post='1048069' date='Dec 5 2010, 01:06 PM']Same for me - he has been doing the David Letterman show for god knows how long.
Dug this old one out from years ago.

Garry[/quote]

Is that Marcus Miller behind W Lee, doing [i]unusual [/i]thing? :)

And the drummer, judging from his gear, seems like at the wrong gig..

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1048279' date='Dec 5 2010, 02:53 PM']For me, being a backing bassist for other artists wouldn't be the best bass job. It has to be something where you can have some input & not just copy what someone else has done for a song.[/quote]
I totally agree regarding having some input and to that end I don't see Nathan East, Pino Palladino et al being called upon solely for any ability to simply copy what someone else may have done, though of course certain songs will certainly have bass lines that simply don't need to be changed.
But I'm also referring to recording original material with top artists where they employ a bass player just as much for their ability to come up with the right lines.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='1048310' date='Dec 5 2010, 03:22 PM']I totally agree regarding having some input and to that end I don't see Nathan East, Pino Palladino et al being called upon solely for any ability to simply copy what someone else may have done, though of course certain songs will certainly have bass lines that simply don't need to be changed.
But I'm also referring to recording original material with top artists where they employ a bass player just as much for their ability to come up with the right lines.[/quote]

Pino is employed just as much for his ability, creativity and musical contribution as he is for his ability to "blend in" and do as he's told. Prime example being his original and spectular fretless work with Paul Young... oh and his work with D' Angelo... oh and John Mayer... oh and Elton John! (You get the point :))

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1048317' date='Dec 5 2010, 03:26 PM']Pino is employed just as much for his ability, creativity and musical contribution as he is for his ability to "blend in" and do as he's told. Prime example being his original and spectular fretless work with [b]Neil Young[/b]... oh and his work with D' Angelo... oh and John Mayer... oh and Elton John! (You get the point :))[/quote]
My point exactly, though I'm sure it was a slip of the keyboard, you referring to Neil Young, as opposed to Paul Young... :)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='1048330' date='Dec 5 2010, 03:35 PM']My point exactly, though I'm sure it was a slip of the keyboard, you referring to Neil Young, as opposed to Paul Young... :)[/quote]

Haha, indeed. It was because I was reading the "Spelling" thread at the same time and laughing at the use of "Neil" as an exception to the "I before E" rule. Oh, the cruelty of irony lol.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1048229' date='Dec 5 2010, 02:03 PM']....Yes, but he also gets lumbered with playing cod blues with Eric Clapton....[/quote]
I get lumbered, you might get lumbered, but at Nathan East's level you don't get lumbered with anything.

Clapton is a top job. These guys wouldn't do it if they didn't want to and it's a bonus for your CV. Besides, Dave Bronze generally gets the blues gigs.

Paul Turner has it for me. Very funky and upbeat gig. Don't desperately like JK but at least the music has drive.

I'm sorry but I find all the Nathan East / Will Lee etc etc sterilized slap playing session players absolutely mind numbingly dull particularly as 99% of the time they're playing to 40 something yanks in comfy pullovers. I'm sure they're incredibly talented but it all just sounds like bad elevator music to me.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1048453' date='Dec 5 2010, 05:30 PM']Does that mean the artist is still free to pursue other musical projects?[/quote]
It means you are 'retained' for their first call. You are unable to put other projects in front of a retained gig but you are at liberty to do them if they fit the schedule.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1050417' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:35 PM']Paul Turner has it for me. Very funky and upbeat gig. Don't desperately like JK but at least the music has drive.

I'm sorry but I find all the Nathan East / Will Lee etc etc sterilized slap playing session players absolutely mind numbingly dull particularly as 99% of the time they're playing to 40 something yanks in comfy pullovers. I'm sure they're incredibly talented but it all just sounds like bad elevator music to me.[/quote]

Have seen nathan east on the toto and eric clapton gig, and his performance is great, he just supports the band really well and provides some great backing vox too! haven't seen him slap the bass on either gig

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1050447' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:55 PM']Have seen nathan east on the toto and eric clapton gig, and his performance is great, he just supports the band really well and provides some great backing vox too! haven't seen him slap the bass on either gig[/quote]

I was just about to say this.

There is no way Nathan East is sterile.

His technique is flawless, his choice of notes is almost damn near perfect. He can sit in the pocket & groove all night whilst adding to the music with tasteful lines & provide great backing vocals.

Lemmy.

You're over 60 years old, you get to shag fit birds, travel the world, drink copious amount of alcohol, play some of the best music around, tour extensively, have the moniker of living legend, still got your own hair and be safe in the knowledge that you've never sold out, compromised or apologised for what you do. Oh and above all, your British.