Why become a member? ×

Why Do You Prefer a Jazz Over a Precision?

Count Bassie

I'd class the Jazz as being a million miles better than the Precision. To me, the P Bass is a stone age design and well past it now. The jazz bass was a massive leap forward in design, because the shape and balance was better, the beck was better and the tone was better! Your could hear your bass, and it wasn't just the dull, farty P sound.

However, I think the jazz bass is past it now, espeically in it's stock Fender type format. There may be a few miles left in boutique jazz basses but they're outclassed by the innovaters and market leaders now (Fodera, Alembic, ACG, Status Graphite, Zon, Ken Smith, Kubicki etc etc).

Although I've only ever owned one P-Bass (a cheap copy), I probably appreciate the tone now more than I did 25 years ago. I've got a Jazz that I'm currently playing in an Indie / Rock / Ska setting & it really is a bit too "polite" sounding, but I love it & wouldn't ever part with it.

If money was no object, I wouldn't mind giving a P another try.....

[quote name='bumnote' post='1032786' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:01 PM']I prefer a precision I love the neck, if the instrument feels comfortable in my hands, I can normally get a sound I like

I would be interested to find out what a jazz with a precision neck would feel like.[/quote]

That`s what I`ve got. I replaced the neck on my VMJ with the maple neck from a Jap 57 reissue P. Looks great and feels dinky doo!

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1032905' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:12 PM']That`s what I`ve got. I replaced the neck on my VMJ with the maple neck from a Jap 57 reissue P. Looks great and feesl dinky doo!

Jez[/quote]

Ive got my Squier CV P neck on my CV Jazz body. Its not going to be used but i needed something put the neck on.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1032863' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:48 AM']Got both but don't play the P too much cos I'm really lazy and like to rest my thumb on the bridge pickup whilst fingering. I find I play tighter when I "finger" there as there's less movement in the strings and I prefer the punchier tone. Can't bring myself to de-face the P by putting in a thumb rest there as it would look odd. Other than that I love P basses.[/quote]

Oh I always chop 'em! I make my own thumbrest and move the strap buttons. I'm with [b][i]Silddx[/i][/b] on some of his points there though, for example:
-The balance and the way the bass hangs is, for me, lousy. I always have to re-hang to get them to a playable position.
-I figure since they're not going to pay attention to the bass' condition as it leaves the factory, it easily becomes a platform for mods. Retain the essential look and charater, fit it to you. And it's a simple plank with a stick on it, strings and some hardware. An electric bass guitar is not generally something that fulfills my definition of a 'fine instrument', so little niggles, as you guys say, don't bother me much.

I did have to actually re-set the neck on a MIM Precision once though; it was apparently screwed-on while tilted out-of-center with the rest of the instrument at the factory, so I bunged and re-drilled the holes in the neck, screwed it back on. It wasn't a convenient time for that project either, so that was annoying :) ... And the price tag- especially on the older ones- just gets right by me, frankly. A Fender is as plain and straightforward as it gets! And very much mass-produced.

I do like the trad visual and aural aspects of a Fender however, having come from the old school myself- even though they are clearly built for someone other than me to play! I'm built too narrow and have too many small issues physically (nerve stuff, et al). I make it work well enough though- I spend a little for the chassis, etc., and bust out the tools and scrap-wood and finish her up. The original model Hamer Cruisebass is more my style really, but I've been attracted to certain aspects of the Fenders.

I have a design of my own stewing in that mental pot in my head... and a shop nearby to execute it. Maybe spring will offer some time and space. Meanwhile, I'm digging playing my Jazz.

[quote name='bumnote' post='1032786' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:01 PM']I would be interested to find out what a jazz with a precision neck would feel like.[/quote]
I love the look of Jazz bodies but don't get on with the neck. I have had two stages in the 90s playing Jazz basses & next week I pick up a vintage Jazz with a Precision neck. Sorted :)

I agree with silddx on a few of his points.

Although I expect a lot of parts come off a production line (bell plates, pickguards) and I'd expect that any piece to fit flush with another, never seems the case.

For me anyway I have to be specific and say active jazz sound does it for me over P and passive J. Get that extra deep bass and high end.

I prefer the sound of a jazz bass, although I mostly use just the neck pup with the tone rolled off for a smooth deep tone.
Precisions don't go deep enough and they're not as smooth IME.
I prefer the smaller Precision body for comfort and weight and that's what Leo did with the G&L JB-2.
I don't really mind if it's a jazz or precision neck, I soon adapt to either.

Basically because of the sound.

The thin neck can be nice sometimes, but I actually prefer a thicker neck. I'm happy with a P-bass neck. But I am not a big fan of the P-bass sound. It does work, and I can approximate it with the neck pickup on a Jazz... no, it's not the same, but it's close enough for me... plus the neck Jazz pickup sounds nicer (to me) than a P bass.

But on a Jazz, I mostly play either bridge pickup alone (75% of the time) or both pickups on (25% of the time). I love the definition of teh bridge pickup, and the huge sound of both pickups on.

I'd love a Stingray with a Jazz configuration, then I'd have my favourite neck and the sound of the Jazz.

I know a lot of people prefer the Jazz bass because of the slim neck. I did too, initially. But slim necks are over-rated, in my opinion. Whilst they seem comfortable and fast at first, it actually doesn't take much effort to get used to a bigger neck (and no, I don't have big hands, I'm a short guy) and I ended up finding bigger necks more comfortable to play... plus the bass choice expands a lot if you're willing to go for a chunkier neck.

[quote name='louisthebass' post='1032902' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:11 PM']Although I've only ever owned one P-Bass (a cheap copy), I probably appreciate the tone now more than I did 25 years ago. I've got a Jazz that I'm currently playing in an Indie / Rock / Ska setting & it really is a bit too "polite" sounding, but I love it & wouldn't ever part with it.

If money was no object, I wouldn't mind giving a P another try.....[/quote]

Polite? Try putting a J-Retro01 preamp in there and then you'll find out what *love* means :)

I have a J5 with jazz type neck and also one with P-bass neck.. I prefer the P-bass neck spacings as I came over from a MM SR which apes a P-bass neck.

Soundwise I prefer the flexibilty of a J with bridge pup bias.
I could use a PJ5 I guess, but haven't gotten round to it as I am happy with what I have.

Sometimes I think I need a P, mostly, I don't in reality

[quote name='Rayman' post='1033017' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:27 PM']I think there's a lot of tosh spoken about neck width. For me, I prefer the [i]tone[/i] of the Jazz over the Precision. Ergonomically it makes no difference to me playing a Geddy Lee Jazz neck or a 6 string Bongo.[/quote]

Its not tosh, its different opinions and preferences and its not really fair to dismiss these opinions because they differ from yours.

I have both a CVP and CVJ. Both necks are almost identical other than the nut width is about 4mm narrower on the Jazz. I cant feel comfortable playing the P neck but have no problems with the Jazz.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1032835' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:30 PM']That's part of the reason I move my strap buttons- I can now get the bass into a more vertical position. I don't like extending my left arm with the palm facing up, it's just awkward and makes my forearm tingle...[/quote]

Ah I see now, I did wonder why on earth you were going on about moving them :)
I guess if you're a big PB fan then you'd perhaps want to do that, but I can get the right neck position without straining my wrist with a JB.

Don't get me wrong, I've absolutely nothing against the PB - it has to be, after all, the most copied and manufactured bass guitar format of all time, but I just find the skinnier neck or the JB and Ibanez instruments more comfortable and less to worry about.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1033234' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:50 PM']I desperately want to like P's but can't get on with them, God knows I've tried enough times. Jazz all the way for me.[/quote]

Same here. When i dont have one im convinced i really do like them but as soon as i get one i realise i dont like them as much as i thought.
But still i buy them. This is the reason i have a CV P and not a MIA. Not quite as much money to loose.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1032880' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:57 PM']However, I think the jazz bass is past it now, espeically in it's stock Fender type format. There may be a few miles left in boutique jazz basses but they're outclassed by the innovaters and market leaders now (Fodera, Alembic, ACG, Status Graphite, Zon, Ken Smith, Kubicki etc etc).[/quote]

Personally, like football, the bass guitar is a simple thing spoiled by people making it complicated. I disagree that either the P or the J are "past it". There's a reason why they're the most copied styles in bass guitars .... they just work. Both of them - they work in different ways, but each are perfect in their own way.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1032967' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:53 PM']I agree with silddx on a few of his points.

Although I expect a lot of parts come off a production line (bell plates, pickguards) and I'd expect that any piece to fit flush with another, never seems the case.

For me anyway I have to be specific and say active jazz sound does it for me over P and passive J. Get that extra deep bass and high end.[/quote]

Funnily enough my Squier CV Jazz has a perfect alignment between the scratchplate and bell plate.

My only real problem with the jazz is the hum when playing with just one pickup. It puts me off soloing the neck pickup so I tend to play both together.

Another vote for the chunkier P width neck, which I find much more hand friendly near the nut. Funnily enough the 2009 Jazz I have is closer to a P neck in feel than any of the ultra skinny 70s Jazz necks I have played (I went the vintage J route and just hated those skinny, bound necks). So maybe the newer MIA Jazzes are the happy medium ergonomically. sound wise it entirely depends on the type of music and context, Jazzes cut through better in my view whereas Ps sound better in the mix. horses for courses and I am happy owning one of each.

[quote name='icastle' post='1033415' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:57 PM']I kinda knew I was gonna regret saying that... :)[/quote]

nah i don't really mean that! I have very strong hands I know....

I do have a feeling that with good technique you should be able to play most stuff. Now if you're (not you, like if one is) really a guitarist and used to hanging your thumb over the top of the neck you will prob prefer the jazz, but you'll regret it in 20 years time! :)