Why become a member? ×

Why Do You Prefer a Jazz Over a Precision?

Count Bassie

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1053085' date='Dec 9 2010, 05:26 PM']As well as getting my first ever Fender tomorrow, it's also going to be my fist ever proper Jazz!
Well excited!

Truckstop[/quote]

Nice one.

Getting a new bass is always a reason to celebrate. What are you getting?

I bought the jazz because I loved Entwistle, John Paul Jones and the like. But since then I've worked out my own reasons for loving it. It's extremely playable, very consistent in quality in terms of other jazz's, and you automatically get that lovely woody tone through whatever amp you play it through.
I'm going to buy a USA one in the new year, but I need to raise some cash so if anyone wants to buy a mexican, sunburst, rosewood necked jazz then I have one spare now. Looking for the average price for a second hand one, about £310.
Just let me know if you're interested.
Cheers.
Louis.

I must be in a very small minority because I don't really mind nor care what the neck width or profile is, I feel quite happy playing any/either.

I have a pencil necked early Warwick, a chunky full profiled Bolin (WoT loved this neck when he tried it as it was reminiscent of his vintage P basses), flat backed graphite Zon and a couple of other basses that fall between these and I've never felt that I found one better or more comfortable than another. A lot of that could be down to my playing style (thumb behind the neck not gripping it), whereas others with different styles might need a certain neck shape. One thing I HATE though is sharp un-radiused fingerboard edges! It would massively put me off a bass if it wasn't rolled on the edge or well played in.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1054907' date='Dec 11 2010, 12:51 PM']I must be in a very small minority because I don't really mind nor care what the neck width or profile is, I feel quite happy playing any/either.

I have a pencil necked early Warwick, a chunky full profiled Bolin (WoT loved this neck when he tried it as it was reminiscent of his vintage P basses), flat backed graphite Zon and a couple of other basses that fall between these and I've never felt that I found one better or more comfortable than another. A lot of that could be down to my playing style (thumb behind the neck not gripping it), whereas others with different styles might need a certain neck shape. One thing I HATE though is sharp un-radiused fingerboard edges! It would massively put me off a bass if it wasn't rolled on the edge or well played in.[/quote]

I agree with all of the above.

I can play practically any neck profile maybe also due to the fact that I play with the thumb on the back of the neck.

The sound (if I didn't like it) would put me off a bass far more than the neck profile.

Frank.