Why become a member? ×

Bass Lines That Everyone Recognises

Pete Academy

[quote name='Doddy' post='1030802' date='Nov 20 2010, 08:00 PM']I wouldn't say people would know 'Word Up'.[/quote]
I don't know it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1030802' date='Nov 20 2010, 08:00 PM']Maybe 'I want you back'?

Then again,maybe not.[/quote]
I know that one but I've played that bassline to other musicians and they don't recognise it.

So, then again, maybe not.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1030797' date='Nov 20 2010, 07:58 PM']Think most people would recognise the bassline to Another One Bites The Dust.
With many other basslines, such as New Years Day by U2, or Town Called Malice by The Jam, these may be generation specific, but ABTD has been played so much over the years, on radio, tv etc, it has to be the most recognised.[/quote]

Yep, definately agree with ABTD - even if they call it "Ohitsonthetipofmytongueohmygodwotsitcalled thatqueenone".
Certainly generational and probably musical taste specific as well - I haven't heard of half of the tunes or bands that appear in this thread - and it only started about 10 minutes ago! :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1030819' date='Nov 20 2010, 08:10 PM']Money - Pink Floyd[/quote]
That one always get a cheer when its on the setlist & I start playing the intro. Also the Animals "We've got to get out of this place", that probably says more about the average age of our audience compared to the average man in the street.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1030781' date='Nov 20 2010, 07:52 PM']Under Pressure, Queen and David Bowie.[/quote]

Didn't they nick that bassline off Vanilla Ice though?

:)

Of the more recent ones, I reckon a lot of people would recognise The Coral's 'Dreaming of You' bassline, even if they weren't sure what it was from.