Why become a member? ×

Bass Lines That Everyone Recognises

Pete Academy

[quote name='Michaelg' post='1031480' date='Nov 21 2010, 03:22 PM']i think a lot of people would recognise the white rabbit bassline, its been used quite a lot (sopranos, alice in wonderland, fear and loathing in las vegas)[/quote]

Yep, that one is lost on me. Even having listened to the track I'd be at a loss to identify it if someone played it to me the next day!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1031319' date='Nov 21 2010, 12:38 PM']+1

What a strange thread. Most of these posts are just fantasy! Very few people who are not musicians would associate a line of music to a bass! To Joe Public it's just a song. They don't deconstruct a song they just listen to the whole.[/quote]

Yet again, a perfectly obvious and harmless thread gets criticised. I fully understand it's a generation thing, but I was just asking people to name a song that people would recognise instantly by the bassline alone. ie. Peaches.

Judging by the responses there seems to be a lot of songs that are instantly recognisable.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1031619' date='Nov 21 2010, 05:57 PM']Yet again, a perfectly obvious and harmless thread gets criticised. I fully understand it's a generation thing, but I was just asking people to name a song that people would recognise instantly by the bassline alone. ie. Peaches.

Judging by the responses there seems to be a lot of songs that are instantly recognisable.[/quote]

We should change the thread to "avatars that everyone recognises"... I think we all love yours pete:P

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1031619' date='Nov 21 2010, 05:57 PM']Yet again, a perfectly obvious and harmless thread gets criticised. I fully understand it's a generation thing, but I was just asking people to name a song that people would recognise instantly by the bassline alone. ie. Peaches.

Judging by the responses there seems to be a lot of songs that are instantly recognisable.[/quote]

I always wonder why some people have to over complicate things.

[quote name='skej21' post='1031629' date='Nov 21 2010, 06:01 PM']We should change the thread to "avatars that everyone recognises"... I think we all love yours pete:P[/quote]

I've no idea who that is in his 'tar. :)

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1031619' date='Nov 21 2010, 05:57 PM']....Yet again, a perfectly obvious and harmless thread gets criticised....[/quote]
Not at all. I'm not a critic of any of your threads. Keep posting as many as you like.

I was not criticising the thread just some of the responses. My point is that the thread quickly descended into lists of "my favourite bass line".

[quote name='chris_b' post='1031639' date='Nov 21 2010, 06:09 PM']Not at all. I'm not a critic of any of your threads. Keep posting as many as you like.

I was not criticising the thread just some of the responses. My point is that the thread quickly descended into lists of "my favourite bass line".[/quote]

Fair enough, and fair point. :)

I think most of the Michael Jackson hits are recognisable:

Billie Jean

Thriller

Don't Stop...

Bad

Smooth Criminal

Bass Guitar Magazine did a 'best bass line' poll. One of the writers said that he was teaching a young lad to play bass and was showing him the line to 'Peaches'. Both the lad and his mum recognised it instantly.

This was what prompted the thread.

Edited by Pete Academy

With or without you

Summer days (I see "You're the one that I want" has already been suggested)

Honky Tonk Women (verse) - at least as recognisable as the bass line in the verse of "All Right Now"

Some of the songs already suggested aren't so much recognisable from the bass line as from the riff - for example Enter Sandman, where the bass doesn't kick in for about three minutes.

I suspect that the first of my suggestions might not be recognised by a high proportion of over-60s, while the second would be recognised by a similarly lower proportion of under-40s.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1031781' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:11 PM']Its funny, because sometimes BC is becoming similar to Talkbass to my eyes - after a while, folks who come here to post 'a recognisable bassline', will post their favourite tunes instead, that have nothing to do with being easily recognisable..

Classic :)[/quote]
... and even less to do with 'Bass Lines That Everyone Recognises, Even the man in the street...'

[quote name='Faithless' post='1031781' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:11 PM']Its funny, because sometimes BC is becoming similar to Talkbass to my eyes - after a while, folks who come here to post 'a recognisable bassline', will post their favourite tunes instead, that have nothing to do with being easily recognisable..[/quote]
Second movement of 'Karn Evil Nine' by Emerson, Lake and Palmer anyone?

[quote name='Faithless' post='1031781' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:11 PM']Its funny, because sometimes BC is becoming similar to Talkbass to my eyes - after a while, folks who come here to post 'a recognisable bassline', will post their favourite tunes instead, that have nothing to do with being easily recognisable..

Classic :D[/quote]

LMAO - I'm having trouble just [b]pronouncing[/b] some of the band names let alone recognising the bassline :P

Got to say though, as far as favourites are concerned the two I have suggested:

[b]Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall[/b] - Pretentious 1980s trash and proof that bass players should never be let loose songwriting :)
[b]Grease - You're The One That I Want[/b] - Far too many Shoobydooowopwops and pelvic thrusts to be taken seriously by anyone :)

I wouldn't dare share my favourites on here since the abuse I got after admitting to listening to Adrian Edmonson playing a mandolin :lol:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1031821' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:27 PM']So, that's KEN by ELP?

I expect it's a surprise, but that's another one with which I have only limited familiarity.[/quote]
You need to play the bass line stood on a Persian rug while the keyboard player stabs his Moog with a knife. So I'm not altogether surprised its not part of your repertoire, Dave :)