Why become a member? ×

Bass Lines That Everyone Recognises

Pete Academy

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031825' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:29 PM']You need to play the bass line stood on a Persian rug while the keyboard player stabs his Moog with a knife. So I'm not altogether surprised its not part of your repertoire, Dave :)[/quote]
Steady on! I can get a Persian rug if I want to. :)

Mind you I wouldn't fancy any of my band mates in possession of a knife.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1030785' date='Nov 20 2010, 07:53 PM']My guess would be that most people have never heard of The Clash, let alone know a bass line.

Someone played that line at last years south-east bash and I didn't recognise it.[/quote]

Fancy not knowing that one. You, you, you, [i]Philistine[/i].. :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031825' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:29 PM']You need to play the bass line stood on a Persian rug while the keyboard player stabs his Moog with a knife. So I'm not altogether surprised its not part of your repertoire, Dave :)[/quote]

Damn :)
I've got a rug from Ikea and the keyboard player still isn't allowed sharp shiny things and is using a wooden spoon :lol:

[quote name='daz' post='1031836' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:32 PM']Fancy not knowing that one. You, you, you, [i]Philistine[/i].. :)[/quote]
I knew it when I was told what it was so obviously I blame the bassist concerned. I'm also slightly hard of hearing. I have actually played the song at a gig but obviously I'm unable to guarantee the accuracy of the line I played. But whatever line I did play, I am sure that hardly anyone recognised it. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1031834' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:31 PM']Steady on! I can get a Persian rug if I want to. :)[/quote]
Dave at his last gig
[attachment=64574:image.axd.jpeg]

PS, I think it was me playing London Calling at SE BassBash :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Johnston' post='1031843' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:33 PM']It's not the bassline though its the guitar riff that people recognise.[/quote]

I bet if you played the bass intro bit on it's own most people would recognise it?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031851' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:36 PM']Dave at his last gig
[attachment=64574:image.axd.jpeg][/quote]
Nice!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031851' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:36 PM']PS, I think it was me playing London Calling at SE BassBash :)[/quote]
OK, it's out now. Clarky played [i]London Calling[/i] brilliantly on my fretless and, with me being a total t*s*e* (and slightly hard of hearing, of course), I failed to recognise it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1031865' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:41 PM']OK, it's out now. Clarky played [i]London Calling[/i] brilliantly on my fretless and, with me being a total t*s*e* (and slightly hard of hearing, of course), I failed to recognise it.[/quote]
Oh bl**dy hell it was me doing the slide-y bit on your Tony Franklin, wasn't it? In nervy moments (like when surrounded by dozens of bass players who are better than me!) I fall back on a small stock repertoire of bass lines that I won't screw up, London Calling being one of them

On topic, the other ultra-recognisable bass line from the Clash has to be 'The Magnificent Seven' (yep, thats in my embarrassed-nervous bass player repertoire too)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031876' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:49 PM']Oh bl**dy hell it was me doing the slide-y bit on your Tony Franklin, wasn't it? In nervy moments (like when surrounded by dozens of bass players who are better than me!) I fall back on a small stock repertoire of bass lines that I won't screw up, London Calling being one of them

On topic, the other ultra-recognisable bass line from the Clash has to be 'The Magnificent Seven' (yep, thats in my embarrassed-nervous bass player repertoire too)[/quote]
My preferred technique when surrounded by other bassists who are undoubtedly better at it than I am is to get them to play Clash songs for me and then pretend I don't recognise them.

I bet you don't remember what I played on your Shuker.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Wally' post='1031870' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:43 PM']Certainly didn't post a favourite of mine.

Just one where the bass starts the song, has had more than enough radio time for a number of regular people to go 'oh I know this one' and has 8.5 million youtube hits.[/quote]
Could you give us any more clues as to what song it was?

I think when it comes to recognising, we should worry less about whether people would be able to hum the bassline after hearing the name of the song, and we shouldn't even worry if the average bystander would be able to name the song or the artist (think about the Never Mind The Buzzcocks humming round!).

One that will definitely be recognised:

Bit of an odd one because it's two basses but most would recognise this intro:

Noone would tell you what this is called (but it's been mentioned already) but alot of people will recognise the bass line from the 1997 internationally highly successful Men in Black theme tune:

If someone were to say "OH THAT'S THE MEN IN BLACK SONG!" does that count as recognition?

Edited by allighatt0r

Whole lotta love, [In various keys - but the right one]
Rock around the clock. [and they some how manage to get lost in a twelve bar]
Walking on the moon - and once again attempting this it could be anything note wise, its only the Rhythm that gives it away, with a 3/4 thrown in of course.

And they manage to do these without asking if anyone has the TAB. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1036712' date='Nov 25 2010, 06:30 PM']More or less anything from Bruce Foxton.[/quote]

BF is/was a massive influence on me but IMHO you'd be hard pushed for the average person in the street to name a track by The Jam never mind recognising (albeit fantastic) any bassline from The Jam's repertoire... so another case of favourite artist rather than instantly recognisable line.

The man in my street knows every bassline EVER :)

I "would" say sweet child o' mine as most people i know, know the bass line and recigocnise it in the intro, but thats not so much the case as so many useless guitards and yound/my age guitards in bands wack the bass down and the guitar volume full up! :lol:

Chic-Everybody dance?

Blink 182 Carousel? (all songs which make you go OH yeah i've heard this before, but usually can't name)

RHCP All around the world

(Seven Nation Army was played on a guitar, not a bass so shouldn't count :) )

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc

Kiss - Rock and roll all night

Just few? Not sure how many of those have been mentioned =/