Why become a member? ×

So... EC on 'Later'

warwickhunt

Just Iplayered it. Not good, tbh.

KOL - forgettable, formulaic trite guff, Clapton - first song awful, second song was OK, but only the usual excuse for Jools to get to rinky-dink along with another "legend" before they croak. Vaccines - insipid & timid-sounding, and they looked embarrassed, as well they might. Bellowhead - plenty of spirit & good playing but way too much of everything all at once, and MIA - what the hell was that? She might be able to rap but she certainly cannot sing - I can't see this helping her career too much. Thankfully.

Have I missed anything? Wouldn't be surprised if I did because I think I might have blacked out there for a moment or two. :)

Jon.

[quote name='cetera' post='1010516' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:58 AM']Jo Whiley ?!?!? :) :P :lol:
Please no!! I couldn't stand her gushing love for EVERY act and fake enthusiasm that every song/band is the best she's ever heard.... :) :D[/quote]

+1

Mark Lamarr would be a good stand-in, if anyone.

I'm not sure he can join in with the piano though....

[quote name='chris_b' post='1010439' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:58 AM']I wonder why everyone hates Clapton today?[/quote]
My dislike of Clapton isn't just restricted to today. He bores me rigid.
Yes I know, he's a legend and all that. Don't care. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1010676' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:59 PM']....Because he hasn't done anything even half-way decent since "Layla"?....[/quote]
Really? You can hate a lot of good players if you use that type of criteria.

I didn't think Layla was that good and IMO Clapton's done a lot of good stuff since Cream days. But my question was why Clapton when every week there's so much that falls short of even being adequate.

Any bunch of beardy Americans who happen to be in town get fast tracked on to the show. The unsigned British band slot seems to have been dropped. Later should be showcasing people who can play and aren't selling anything. It needs to get back to its roots.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1010720' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:26 PM']But my question was why Clapton when every week there's so much that falls short of even being adequate.[/quote]
Yes, and every Wednesday we get a thread that goes "Did anybody see [i]Insertnameofbandhere[/i] on Later last night? What a bag of sh!te etc etc...". Clapton's not getting special treatment.

[quote name='casapete' post='1010188' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:24 PM']As a lifelong EC fan I must admit the first number was n't great........
Anyone got the album yet, any good?[/quote]

Didn't see Later last night as I was at Hillsborough watching my team give a footbaling lesson to the home side :)
However I have heard the latest EC album and on initial listen at least find it somewhat underwhelming and I normally quite like the chap. It seems to lack the passion that something like 'From the Cradle' did.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1010563' date='Nov 3 2010, 11:29 AM']+1, the standout act for me (the one time I went to see the Ramones they cancelled to play TOTP instead :) )

Bellowhead good, but [i]have[/i] to be seen live. Great bass (tuba?)

Off -topic, but did anyone see "Whites" on just before, and notice the bassist in the backing band had a Wal Po 1? Couldn't hear it mind[/quote]

Yep clocked it :-D

RE: Clapton, you have to be able to close your eyes and think thats a great noise, not wow im watching Eric Clapton, last nights session did not do that

but, all great players, who keep going over the years should be allowed to try loads of things, some of which may appeal to them and not to most of the listeners, you can't expect to like everything someone does, just because they have legendary status

Having said that, there are a ton of guitar players id listen to before Clapton these days, but he did write / co write and record some amazing stuff in his time

RE: Jools, was there not a rumor that one band got it agreed that they would play the show if Jools promised not to jam with them?

Not sure if its Jools or the BBC stopping the show from being more roots, but surely if anyone can get the powers to push shows in that direction it would be Mr. Holland who could

I wonder if the one-or-two-songs-each-by-several-bands format is ever going to work that well. I know when I play it can be 2 or 3 songs into a set before I've shaken off the sh*tty day I've had, the hanging around, the stuff that went wrong in the soundcheck, so if there's only 2 songs to play the chances are it's going to be a safe workmanlike performance rather than inspired. So, these people are supposed to be professionals and they have more chance of being inspired than I would, but even so.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1011055' date='Nov 3 2010, 04:56 PM']I wonder if the one-or-two-songs-each-by-several-bands format is ever going to work that well. I know when I play it can be 2 or 3 songs into a set before I've shaken off the sh*tty day I've had, the hanging around, the stuff that went wrong in the soundcheck, so if there's only 2 songs to play the chances are it's going to be a safe workmanlike performance rather than inspired. So, these people are supposed to be professionals and they have more chance of being inspired than I would, but even so.[/quote]

I think the problem's more that the lineup of artists each week is safe & workmanlike, rather than the actual performances.

Dull songs performed by dull musicians will still be dull, regardless of how on-form the players are.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1010635' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:26 PM']Just Iplayered it. Not good, tbh.

KOL - forgettable, formulaic trite guff, Clapton - first song awful, second song was OK, but only the usual excuse for Jools to get to rinky-dink along with another "legend" before they croak. Vaccines - insipid & timid-sounding, and they looked embarrassed, as well they might. Bellowhead - plenty of spirit & good playing but way too much of everything all at once, and MIA - what the hell was that? She might be able to rap but she certainly cannot sing - I can't see this helping her career too much. Thankfully.

Have I missed anything? Wouldn't be surprised if I did because I think I might have blacked out there for a moment or two. :)

Jon.[/quote]
You didn't like it then????

[quote name='lanark' post='1010498' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:41 AM']I don't understand the "hate" for Later on here.[/quote]

I genuinely "like" watching 'Later...'! That is not a p*ss take, I genuinely do; it might have atrocious sound at times (especially at the start of the show while the work experience lad sorts the sound out) and some of the bands you do have to wonder about but I'm not knocking the show... just thought it worth a mention. I personally wondered if Dave Bronze had a pained expression and was sticking to a single note because he was wondering if EC's capo had knocked him out of tune! :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1011169' date='Nov 3 2010, 06:19 PM']I think the problem's more that the lineup of artists each week is safe & workmanlike, rather than the actual performances.

Dull songs performed by dull musicians will still be dull, regardless of how on-form the players are.

J.[/quote]

So, a question for anyone who can be bothered to think of a reply ...

Imagine we have the producer of Later on Basschat right now. What would have to be on next week's show to get you jumping up and down with enthusiasm? Or even grudging admiration.

I've played in blues bands for 20 years and am a big fan but that first track was well dodgy. It sounded like something that would have sounded a lot better just played solo on a cheap guitar because it lost the rawness it needed in a band of top of the line session guys with eric playing on a £10,000 Les Paul.

The rest of the stuff was pretty run of the mill as well.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1011195' date='Nov 3 2010, 06:39 PM']I genuinely "like" watching 'Later...'![/quote]

Me too, I love it but that opening Clapton number was a bit of a challenge and it takes a fair bit to offend my tin ear. There's usually a pleasant surprise and Bellowhead were definitely it this week for me.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1012148' date='Nov 4 2010, 03:09 PM']So, a question for anyone who can be bothered to think of a reply ...

Imagine we have the producer of Later on Basschat right now. What would have to be on next week's show to get you jumping up and down with enthusiasm? Or even grudging admiration.[/quote]
I'm not about to start reeling off lists of bands I'd like to see, but perhaps they could at least stoop to acknowledge the existence of the metal & progressive rock genres.

J.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1012148' date='Nov 4 2010, 03:09 PM']So, a question for anyone who can be bothered to think of a reply ...

Imagine we have the producer of Later on Basschat right now. What would have to be on next week's show to get you jumping up and down with enthusiasm? Or even grudging admiration.[/quote]
Bands who know how to perform (rather than just play) and are capable of putting on an interesting performance in the somewhat non-gig-like atmosphere of the Later studio. It is television after all. If the bands are just going to play it might as well be on the radio.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1010563' date='Nov 3 2010, 11:29 AM']Bellowhead good, but [i]have[/i] to be seen live. Great bass (tuba?)[/quote]

Very close - I think it's a Helicon, but you'd have to be a certifiable tuba wonk to know that.

I was very disappointed with both of EC's numbers - I'd expect someone with Clapton's financial clout to be able to hire a piano player who could play a decent stride solo for a number like this, but the pianist in his band was clearly not up to it and Jools (who definitely is) had obviously been told to toe the line.

I think the punk band got the sh*t end of the stick - only one minute 20 of their excellent stuff in order to make way for a second turgid Clapton tune.

So far this series I make that two really decent acts - Imelda Mae and Bellowhead.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1012677' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:30 PM']So far this series I make that two really decent acts - Imelda Mae and Bellowhead.[/quote]

I still haven't watched it on iPlayer yet. I know my girlfriend will want to watch it with me because she loves Bellowhead's last album (which I bought for her after seeing them on Jools last time!). But her brother rang me the other day to say M.I.A. had some guys from The Specials behind her and I love both acts so I'm really looking forward to seeing that too.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1012148' date='Nov 4 2010, 03:09 PM']Imagine we have the producer of Later on Basschat right now. What would have to be on next week's show to get you jumping up and down with enthusiasm? Or even grudging admiration.[/quote]

Beastie Boys (say what you like they are amazing live, and can do what they do with almost any instrumentation you happen to have available), The Skints, Hunting Bears (Leeds), any of the following: Sonic Youth, Pixies, Breeders.

Edited by thisnameistaken