Why become a member? ×

Whats your opening number?

4-string-thing

As an 80s tribute band it has always been Planet Earth (Duran Duran) but is slowly coming round to New Life (Depeche Mode).
Back in the day when I played guitar in punk bands, we always opened with a different comedy tune, once it was the theme to Taz-Mania, sometimes it was the A-Team, and occasionally a 2-unlimited number (it was the early 90s after all). :)

[quote name='TimR' post='973315' date='Sep 30 2010, 10:54 PM']Sometimes I wish I could get in a band that didn't have to reinvent the setlist at every bl**dy gig!

<rant>
Just because we've heard and played the songs a hundred times, putting them in a different order will not.
1. Make it more interesting.
b. Make more people dance.
It just makes it harder to keep my pad in order!
</rant>[/quote]

Are we in the same band? :)

For my current lot I'm stuck with the utterly tedious Hideaway. Supposedly they do this to 'warm up and check the mix is right'. I gently pointed out after a few gigs where we didn't sound check (and still usually don't) that it would be better to start with something that at least has vocals in it to get the full mix. About another 10 gigs down the line and....yep we are still opening with Hideaway and then someone comes up to our lead singer/guitarist at the half time interval and tells him that they couldn't hear the vocals, nearly every gig. Words fail me.

[quote name='farmer61' post='973651' date='Oct 1 2010, 10:08 AM']Basket Case - Greenday[/quote]

That's been our end of set for months. we're an originals band, but throw in two or three covers just so there's something most people should know.

[quote name='fatback' post='973639' date='Oct 1 2010, 10:01 AM'][quote name='TimR' post='973315' date='Sep 30 2010, 10:54 PM']
Sometimes I wish I could get in a band that didn't have to reinvent the setlist at every bl**dy gig!

<rant>
Just because we've heard and played the songs a hundred times, putting them in a different order will not.
1. Make it more interesting.
b. Make more people dance.
It just makes it harder to keep my pad in order!
</rant>[/quote]

Are we in the same band? :)

[/quote]

I wonder if this is dependent on how often and the number of gigs you do.

In my last two bands we didn't really gig more often than once a month but on the rare occasion we had 2 in a row on Friday and then Saturday even then the drummer changed the setlist. Is it a drummer thing? In both the bands the drummer was in charge of the order.