Why become a member? ×

Show me your 80's LOOKING Basses!

Shockwave

My god, this is the first Elite P I've seen [i]since[/i] the 80s..! what a cracker. Is it yours?

And am I allowed to admit that I [i]loved[/i] the 80s? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='106861' date='Dec 20 2007, 08:09 AM']What this thread needs is a little more 80s bling...

...put that in legwarmers and FUNK.[/quote]

[quote name='Merton' post='107054' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:16 PM']Mememememememe. I soooooooooooo want one of those, I will find one eventually :)[/quote]

OK, here's my old basses. To the left my Hamer Scarab (and my old Laney rig - just like the advert they used to run). The Hamer sounded like a piano. It was an outstanding sounding bass and the neck was the thinnest I've ever played. I did however look like a dick when I was playing it and it had some serious neck dive issues. I p/x this (and the Laney head) for my existing '79 Precision.

Next up, my long departed Travis Bean 2000 series #222 ('where are you sweet baby?'). I think about her every day. You'll notice (if you are a Bean aficionado) that the wings aren't as wide-set as older models. I bought the Travis Bean for £375 in a store in Lewisham in 1980, driven by a review I remember reading in Beat Instrumental and the fact that Mick Karn used one. I removed the frets, then had the board replaced with a fretless ebony one (I had a BadAss 1 put on at the same time). I then had it re-fretted by Dick Knight (the guy who built Chris Glenn's Explorer bass). It weighed a ton. I eventually p/x'd it against an Ibanez Roadster that I destroyed at a gig.

Much love
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='138397' date='Feb 11 2008, 06:58 PM']OK, here's my old basses. To the left my Hamer Scarab (and my old Laney rig - just like the advert they used to run). The Hamer sounded like a piano. It was an outstanding sounding bass and the neck was the thinnest I've ever played. I did however look like a dick when I was playing it and it had some serious neck dive issues. I p/x this (and the Laney head) for my existing '79 Precision.

Next up, my long departed Travis Bean 2000 series #222 ('where are you sweet baby?'). I think about her every day. You'll notice (if you are a Bean aficionado) that the wings aren't as wide-set as older models. I bought the Travis Bean for £375 in a store in Lewisham in 1980, driven by a review I remember reading in Beat Instrumental and the fact that Mick Karn used one. I removed the frets, then had the board replaced with a fretless ebony one (I had a BadAss 1 put on at the same time). I then had it re-fretted by Dick Knight (the guy who built Chris Glenn's Explorer bass). It weighed a ton. I eventually p/x'd it against an Ibanez Roadster that I destroyed at a gig.

Much love
P[/quote]
Cheers man. That Scarab is a beaut - anyone got any ideas where to find one?! :) Has to be white like this one!

[quote name='Merton' post='139357' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:56 AM']Cheers man. That Scarab is a beaut - anyone got any ideas where to find one?! :) Has to be white like this one![/quote]

Mine went to a guy in Oxfordshire...I guess like anyone posting here they do look and see activity on their old guitars and with that in mind, Scarabs do turn up from time to time. Can only suggest you check the US ebay, Talkbass, Craigs List, maybe even gbase.com once in a while.

One interesting aside here, the neck on that Hamer was so great, I was toying with having it removed/cut out/whatever and set in a Thunderbird body. The neck was the overriding thing here...I would have just kept the electrics and dispensed with the body. At this stage, I was using a Warwick Streamer 5, so the Hamer was definitely my second choice bass. When the p/x deal with the Precision came along, I said bye bye to the Warwick.

Good hunting!
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='124948' date='Jan 21 2008, 07:28 PM']Westone Concord 1-1983-ish, my first bass and still going strong!

[/quote]

Man, I had one of them cira about 86! Traded it in for a blue crackle finish Aria MAB of some description.

Nice bass!

• 2 months later...

Thought i would update the thread with all my other basses!

BC-Rich Eagle, USA NT Custom Shop 2003 NAAM Display Piece, Tobaccoburst, Quilt top, Mahagony core, Walnut stringers mahagony wings, Dimarzios, Full moser electronics, OHSC, Awesome bass, Thanks Lorne :)

BC-Rich Warlock NT 5 String. Trans black, 2007, Had a bridge problem when it came in and had to be sunk into the body, Sounds great, Plays great, The only 5 string i ever liked! Thanks Larry from BSM!

BC-Rich Ironbird NJ BO series. Late 80's Japanese, Aftermarket jazz pup installed, OHSC, Has quite a bit fretwear but will be getting new frets soon! This bass is the growliest bass i own, Both pups are allways on, it sounds like a fat Geddy Lee. Thanks Kev! (Dudewithstuff)

BC-Rich Eagle NJ series BO, late 80's japanese, HSC,When i bought it the headstock was snapped off in shipping and had her repaired. Completely stock bass. REAL nice player. No thanks to the asshole who shipped it with the headstock packed in too tight with bubblewrap!

BC-Rich Mockingbird NT classic heritage 5 string, Good player, tree trunk neck, great tone.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Mike Brooks' post='199775' date='May 15 2008, 05:33 PM']Does this pair count......?
[attachment=8691:PinkKubicki.jpg]
[attachment=8692:WhiteKubicki.jpg][/quote]

Always loved those Kubicki Ex Factors !! Great basses. I wasn't too keen on the key factors though....

[quote name='dougal' post='143484' date='Feb 20 2008, 01:18 AM']Man, I had one of them cira about 86! Traded it in for a blue crackle finish Aria MAB of some description.

Nice bass![/quote]

plus the one - lovely looking basses...if one turned for sale on ebay i'd be all over it like a rash

[quote name='BigRedX' post='107245' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:00 PM']How about this:

Overwater Original 2 - Extra Long 36" scale.[/quote]

I think I've commented on this picture in the past, but I played one of these in a shop many years ago when I was a student & it was literally the nicest bass I've ever played! I still want one, but haven't found one yet. If you're ever selling this BRX, give me a shout!

Rich.