Why become a member? ×

Show me your 80's LOOKING Basses!

Shockwave

This is a thread for 80's Looking basses.

This could mean many things, Basses that were made in the 80's and LOOK 80's for example white pup covers are a pretty 80's thing, Bright loud colours are also pretty 80's as is pointy things, However not all 80's looking basses were made in the 80's So show me what you got guys!

Heres mine.

BC Rich USA Ironbird bass. early 90's model bought NOS.

I used to own a white version of this Kramer Ally necked vanguard.

Edited by Shockwave

I used to have a white Hamer Scarab bass (the guy from Def Leppard used to use one). It had a fantastic piano like tone, the thinnest neck I have ever played, but in hindsight, jeepers, what was I thinking? Some guy took it off my hands in a PX deal on a '79 Precision I'm still using seven or eight years ago.

If anyone is interested in seeing this beauty, I can scan a photo in over the next day or two.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='106846' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:41 AM']I used to have a white Hamer Scarab bass (the guy from Def Leppard used to use one). It had a fantastic piano like tone, the thinnest neck I have ever played, but in hindsight, jeepers, what was I thinking? Some guy took it off my hands in a PX deal on a '79 Precision I'm still using seven or eight years ago.

If anyone is interested in seeing this beauty, I can scan a photo in over the next day or two.
P[/quote]
Mememememememe. I soooooooooooo want one of those, I will find one eventually :)

[quote name='Merton' post='107054' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:16 PM']Mememememememe. I soooooooooooo want one of those, I will find one eventually :)[/quote]

a few years ago, there was one in one of the Denmark Street shops, with a notice saying it was the one Rik Savage used to own. It was going for a couple of grand. I thought 'if it's not good enough for Rick Savage, then it's not good enough for me!'.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='107075' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:35 PM']Go for it! Its bloody cheap! Its been there for ages. They will do your routing for free as well![/quote]

Ah, but then would come the cost of turning it into a bass! :) Next year I'll get one I expect, and put SD Quarter Pound P pup wired straight to the output jack and a modulus neck on it (I would use a Status one, but the Modulus headstock is more in keeping with a Mock body)...

[quote name='Wil' post='107086' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:51 PM']Ah, but then would come the cost of turning it into a bass! :) Next year I'll get one I expect, and put SD Quarter Pound P pup wired straight to the output jack and a modulus neck on it (I would use a Status one, but the Modulus headstock is more in keeping with a Mock body)...[/quote]

Fair play :huh: Personally i would go MM humbucker on that mofo.

Heres a bass on ebay right now, a Gibson Custom Shop Q-80, used to have a white one but i traded it out for something stupid.

[quote name='finnbass' post='107089' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:52 PM']I have a nice Tokai Hardpuncher that might also fit the bill :)[/quote]

Stop teasing me! I still love that Tokai, hope your getting on well with it :huh:

Is that your T-40?

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='107061' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:22 PM']a few years ago, there was one in one of the Denmark Street shops, with a notice saying it was the one Rik Savage used to own. It was going for a couple of grand. I thought 'if it's not good enough for Rick Savage, then it's not good enough for me!'.[/quote]
Yeah, f**k that, I'll find another one! Probably a lie anyway, I think he still has his (at least he claimed he "had all his old Hamers" in that BGM interview last year).

I WILL own one of these, one day :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='107329' date='Dec 20 2007, 08:59 PM']:)

I really like a lot of these basses.

and John Cusack movies.

What's happening to me?[/quote]
You're not alone on this one paul, the.. These basses are really cool and Hi-Fidelity (amongst many others) is a great John Cusack movie.