Why become a member? ×

BEST BASS MONEY CAN BUY?

TheGreek

[size=3]:) As an avid Ebay watcher, and after recently seeing a Wal Pro go for less than £900 :rolleyes: (somebody had changed the p/up), I was wondering what is [b]the best bass money can buy?[/b][/size]

I am expecting lots of votes for[b] Alembics [/b](especially the MK and SC versions) - I mean don't we all want one? - but after reading up about [b]Wal basses [/b]it seems there's much to be said for these. We recently went to a Victor Wooten seminar (that's his [b]Fedora bass [/b]I'm holding) - what about these? He wouldn't be using these if they were s**t..or is it just that it was free?

Others would propose [b]Veillette Citron [/b](I recently bought one from the States) and I would certainly put this up as one of the best basses I've ever played. However since there aren't many in the UK I probably won't be getting much support!!

Anyone visiting the [b]Status[/b] website would think that these are a serious contender..

I know that there are thousands of J and P basses out there but how many of them are any good?

[size=3][b]Lets have a show of hands (democracy..as invented by the Greeks many years ago..)[/b][/size]

Edited by TheGreek

If money was no option at this moment in time I would seriously consider a dingwall custom build but really it comes down to what you want/need at a particular moment in time.

Shuker/gb/acg would be well up there too. Aswell as conklin.

Honestly money no option would probably Lead to me getting the lot!

Edited by charic

Personal taste again surely and I have nil GAS for a Wal or Status or anything similar I dont like them so dont put us all in one basket.Always comes to the same thing and Im not the biggest fan of J or P s' but there is a reason why they are popular all the great players that have used them cant be wrong can they?

So the question should be whats the best bass money can buy for me? which is an ongoing thread spread across many pages and ends the same everytime as said above with "whats wrong with a nice Squier J or P ":)

If I had a big budget for a bass I'd want a custom build.

Shuker, 33" scale, Vintage Precision bass profile neck but just a wee bit thinner front to back, made to be perfectly balanced, maple neck and headstock, either black/sonic blue/candy cola red nitro body, passive electrics, P/J pickup configuration, and the body shaped on either a Jazz bass or a Precision bass. Can't decide on that one.

I'd love a vintage Fender, but I'd be afraid of all the money I was losing everytime I played it. Maybe a Nash Precision in that case.

Or a Squier Classic Vibe :)

Edited by cameltoe

If money was no object I'd be after either a Wal or a Fodera or a '65 Fender Jazz or I guess if money was no object I'd have all three.

Are they the best basses money can buy? No, I think almost every player on here would pick a different bass.

Best bass money can buy? Doesn't exist.

[quote name='Johnston' post='943854' date='Sep 2 2010, 07:50 PM']Surely if money was no object it would be a tailored instrument.

Your hand would measured and the dimensions scientifically dissected to give the optimum neck width and shape.

Body and arms would also be measured to get the optimum shape, contours scale length, neck and bridge angles (something like a torzal twist).

then have your brain scanned whilst listening to samples of different basses. Then all the info put into a super computer to pick tone woods, custom designed pickups and tailored strings.

Then everything would be CNC carved put together by robots so that the sweat of man won't contaminate the product. The frets would be pleked and you would end up with something like..

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :o[/quote]

[size=5]What, expensive fire wood???[/size]

[quote name='Johnston' post='943854' date='Sep 2 2010, 07:50 PM']Surely if money was no object it would be a tailored instrument.

Your hand would measured and the dimensions scientifically dissected to give the optimum neck width and shape.

Body and arms would also be measured to get the optimum shape, contours scale length, neck and bridge angles (something like a torzal twist).

then have your brain scanned whilst listening to samples of different basses. Then all the info put into a super computer to pick tone woods, custom designed pickups and tailored strings.

Then everything would be CNC carved put together by robots so that the sweat of man won't contaminate the product. The frets would be pleked and you would end up with something like..

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :o[/quote]

[size=5]What, expensive fire wood???[/size]

[quote name='longtimefred' post='943901' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:30 PM']i'd have one of these

[url="http://www.huort-ch.com/lang_eng/en_stage_std.htm#t1"]Atelkof Stage Deluxe / Lite[/url]

Jazz/Precision/Stingray IN 1 BASS!!!! mint[/quote]
I Looked..looks nice..how does it sound?

[quote name='Colledge' post='943827' date='Sep 2 2010, 07:36 PM']for me i think a wal would do it. I've never heard a bad sound come out of a wal.[/quote]

i take that back, the best bass that money can buy is a bass that only cost me materials. one that i build with my own 2 hands.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='943920' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:44 PM']Where's Molan and Clarky ?[/quote]
You rang? :)

Answer is it depends on what gives you the most out of being a bass player. I have been debating this with regard to my 72 Fender P and my Alleva-Coppollo in another thread and its a desperately tough call between inspiration (AC a better bass to play) and aspiration (vintage Fender gives me a warm rosy glow).

If I won the lottery I would have a custom Alembic made, however, in answer to the OP's question, as for me Alembics cross the divide between 'classic bass' and superb materials/playability/construction boutique bass.

I know the answer to this one:

Beedster's 64 P Bass!

Or Clarky's 'SID' P Bass!

Or a nice early to mid 70's Black/Black/Maple Precision!!!
(Noticing a pattern? :) )

Seriously though, it's all about what you want from it. Tone, vibe etc are all subjective things anyway.
Try as many as you can and dont settle till you find what works best for you.
If a Squier fits the bill, who cares-as long as it's what blows YOUR hair back!

And if money was no object-I'd commision an Ou7shined Pingray!!!