Why become a member? ×

BEST BASS MONEY CAN BUY?

TheGreek

[quote name='xgsjx' post='944803' date='Sep 3 2010, 06:12 PM']If I could afford £10-£15k or more for a bass I'd be getting one of those Ritter Roya Royal concepts with the infinite fretboard.

Or maybe even the Zephyr
[/quote]
[center][size=3][b]I just went to their website - surely these are just sex for your eyes!!! [/b][/size]:) [/center]

[quote name='Doddy' post='943919' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:43 PM']I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that the bass you are holding is Victor Wootens Fodera not a Zon.

The best bass money can by? Whatever you personally like.[/quote]
Thanks...I've edited my original post accordingly...

[quote name='cameltoe' post='944011' date='Sep 2 2010, 10:31 PM'][i]Really[/i]?

Ok, you play it a few times..... Oh where did that ding come from? It was [i]mint[/i] before. Big wedge off the value for that. Get it refinished? Forget it, you'll lose even more money.

Play it a bit more.......Oh it's stopped working. Turns out a piece of solder has broken in the electrics and it will need resoldering. There's another wedge off the value right there.

If I bought a vintage fender where money was no object, it would lose value just by me looking at it.

I'd be scared to take it out of the case.[/quote]

OK Cameltoe,As promised a thread with loads of rare and vintage users 2 pages and its growing by the day!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101347"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101347[/url]
Nuff said.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='945605' date='Sep 4 2010, 06:58 PM']I remember when I first heard that they were going to be making the Gary Willis basses in Japan for a huge price. I was quite put off - I'd have considered the old 4 string one.[/quote]

I know. I really don't have a problem with it being made in Japan, they know how to make top quality stuff there, but over [i]three thousand pounds[/i]? Strewth that's steep, for a bass that claims to be a "No Frills" instrument.

It is really rather sexy though, and like the fact that it's simple. I'll make do with the GWB35 for now though.

Edit: who the heck is that young lady in your avatar? I'm sure I used to go out with her.

Edited by Rayman

If anything, I think in general the Japanese make by far better instruments than say, the USA - their skill and quality control is amazing. My brother has an Ibanez K7 and a Fender Malmsteen Strat, both are Japanese made and absolutely stunning.

However, the GWB is just insane, at £3000. Thats nearly enough for a new Wal!

The bog standard Ibanez K5 is a fantastic bass, another one I should've kept. I really think out of all of the basses I've had, including the Overwater and Sadowsky etc, although it didn't have the tone of those basses it certainly was the most comfortable to play of them all. It's one of the things that turned me on to the GWB35.

Yep, if I was going to spend huge money, Japan would be the first place I'd look... and in Japan it'd probably be STR who'd get the cash. They're the "best" basses Deviser make, which leads me to believe theyre very special indeed.

[url="http://www.deviser.co.jp/modules/str/garage/eng/2009/02/07-200939.html"]http://www.deviser.co.jp/modules/str/garag.../07-200939.html[/url]

Something along the lines of...

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Johnston' date='Sep 2 2010, 07:50 PM' post='943854']
Surely if money was no object it would be a tailored instrument.

Your hand would measured and the dimensions scientifically dissected to give the optimum neck width and shape.

Body and arms would also be measured to get the optimum shape, contours scale length, neck and bridge angles (something like a torzal twist).

then have your brain scanned whilst listening to samples of different basses. Then all the info put into a super computer to pick tone woods, custom designed pickups and tailored strings.

Then everything would be CNC carved put together by robots so that the sweat of man won't contaminate the product. The frets would be pleked and you would end up with something like..

........as you left this bass emporium having parted with £5k or more you would then acidentally trip over a stray cat and during the fall, in a vain attempt to save your investment, you would twist your body to cushion the blow, land awkwardly breaking your shoulder accidentally flinging the bass under a passing HGV.

From your hospital bed you could then admire the wreakage and wonder why you didn't just get the Squire/OLD/Spector/Ibanez etc. :)