Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='BigRedX' post='943373' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:48 PM']To be a bit more serious and OT about this for a moment.

The sorts or statements that the OP started with always depress me because it shows that they have little understanding of the shear variety of different kinds of music that are around.

There are plenty of situations when an all-valve Ampeg is exactly the kind of amp you need to give you the right sound, but there's probably far more occasions when it's totally inappropriate. There is no single best tone. The best tone is the right tone for the particular music you are playing at any given time. If you can't understand that then you're not much of a musician really.

Also the OP has provided no links to their own music to back up any of their claims. AFAIAC not links to your music mean that as a musician you simply don't exist.[/quote]

Hey BRX, if I may be allowed to point out the flaw in your argument, you're making the assumption that someone who plays bass is a musician. OK. without wishing to kick this thread off again, I know a lot of quite technically limited players who'd I'd rate as phenomenal musicians and at the same time I know a few technically adept players about whom I would never use the term 'musician'.

Of course, the term 'musician' is a s subjective as the term 'music', but I think no matter how you skin it, the above holds true

C

[quote name='BigRedX' post='943373' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:48 PM']To be a bit more serious and OT about this for a moment.

The sorts or statements that the OP started with always depress me because it shows that they have little understanding of the shear variety of different kinds of music that are around.

There are plenty of situations when an all-valve Ampeg is exactly the kind of amp you need to give you the right sound, but there's probably far more occasions when it's totally inappropriate. There is no single best tone. The best tone is the right tone for the particular music you are playing at any given time. If you can't understand that then you're not much of a musician really.

Also the OP has provided no links to their own music to back up any of their claims. AFAIAC not links to your music mean that as a musician you simply don't exist.[/quote]

[quote name='Beedster' post='943386' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:57 PM']Hey BRX, if I may be allowed to point out the flaw in your argument, you're making the assumption that someone who plays bass is a musician. OK. without wishing to kick this thread off again, I know a lot of quite technically limited players who'd I'd rate as phenomenal musicians and at the same time I know a few technically adept players about whom I would never use the term 'musician'.

Of course, the term 'musician' is a s subjective as the term 'music', but I think no matter how you skin it, the above holds true

C[/quote]

Although we are of course saying the same thing in different ways in respect to the OP :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='943379' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:52 PM']Doesn't always hold true - I provide links to my music and this unfortunately proves that I am no musician![/quote]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='943382' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:55 PM']It's a true statement sadly enough :)[/quote]

Come on you guys, I've seen you both play and you're both as good as I am so stop putting yourselves down (cos if you put yourselves down you put me down as well) :rolleyes:

For me a good musician is someone who can play the right notes at the right time with the right sound to make the piece of music they are playing sound good. That's what I was trying to convey in my earlier post. Technical ability doesn't come into it. It's all about listening and responding appropriately.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Beedster' post='943391' date='Sep 2 2010, 02:00 PM']Come on you guys, I've seen you both play and you're both as good as I am so stop putting yourselves down (cos if you put yourselves down you put me down as well) :)[/quote]
Yeah, you're sh*t as well :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='943393' date='Sep 2 2010, 02:03 PM']For me a good musician is someone who can play the right notes at the right time with the right sound to make the piece of music they are playing sound good. That's what I was trying to convey in my earlier post. Technical ability doesn't come into it. It's all about listening and responding appropriately.[/quote]

Agreed :)

What an hilarious thread! Couldn't be arsed to read it all of course, because it's about amps and cabs, which are really for people who like antiques and Fiona Fullerton.

I too made the mistake of thinking the OP was a highly arrogant professional musician who knew his onions, whereas he may well be a clueless bedroom bubinga botherer. Who knows?

Anyway, I still think amps are for people who like antiques and Fiona Fullerton.

Wow that was a pretty epic read. I'm fairly new to this forum, hope it remains this entertaining. I can see the troll in question is currently reading the thread, dude you need to chill out and walk away now rather than make yourself look any more foolish. I've never played an Ampeg so can't really comment on them but having the attitude of look how good my rig and basses are so you must all bow down is so stuck up. I'm picking up my new Markbass 4x10 tomorrow and markbass tube800 head next week. OK it's got one tiny tube in which I like for warmth of sound when I played it. Having to lug my current very heavy peavey rig around twice or more a week i'm looking forward to these modern lightweight cabs. Even if I had a roadie carting it all around for me i'd go on what sounds best to me, be it tube or ss or hybrid. Alot of pro players use ss.

In all seriousness, my mate still has an old Ampeg V4B, which exhibits very nice natural compression and has a warm rich tone that is very pleasing. I've played through it many times coupled with the 8x10 Ampeg cab he used to have. He used it for a couple of gigs then sold the cab after realiseing what a waste of spinal column and car suspension it was, it was ridiculous for the pub gigs we used to play.

The V4B weighs a ton. It has numerous minor electronic problems and he hasn't used it for a few years. It's expensive to run and maintain and it's more delicate than a tiny snail. It's nothing but a pain in the arse and anyway, I can completely floor it with the POD and a decent FoH.

Absence of trouser flap from a rig doesn't bother me. My trousers flap anyway because I'm dancing and enjoying a nice loud full band mix in the numerous stage monitors. If you need a rig to make your trousers flap, I would suggest it is because you are not excited enough by the music you are playing to actually want to move around the stage and entertain the punters a bit. Or perhaps you are selfish and only like to hear yourself and a bit of drum. Or you are corned beef. Or have what you consider to be a small penis. Or something. :)

Thanks all. As I said, it started as a bit of genuine advice but you've all quite rightly got your knives out and everyone's joined the party. At least I've made some people laugh.... I hope. I was never aiming to be a 'troll' cos they're supposed to write things to just wind people up. My thread never started as that, I genuinley mean what I wrote. Anyway, all of you enjoy what amps you play through and I'll enjoy mine. The only thing that has been a bit sad is the mob culture many have adopted. There are people who've admitted that they can't afford a valve amp, have tried one and prefer SS, or don't want to carry one, which is great, but what annoys me are the people who've probably never played through a valve amp, own a budget amp and have still told me i'm full of sh*t because it's been the fashionable thing to do! Cheers all.... the 'troll' x

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='943522' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:41 PM']I read the OP as a harmless bit of fishing of the sort I used to do all the time on football boards.

If I had roadies and stuff I'd be standing in front of a row of big black fridges for sure.[/quote]
An example of the good practice I refer to.

[quote name='dave74200' post='943527' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:45 PM']An example of the good practice I refer to.[/quote]

So come on then Dave, let's have the chance to hear your awesome sound then and make up our own minds? You play to crowds of 10,000 there'll be some evidence of your existence somewhere, point us towards it please?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='943533' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:48 PM']So come on then Dave, let's have the chance to hear your awesome sound then and make up our own minds? You play to crowds of 10,000 there'll be some evidence of your existence somewhere, point us towards it please?

C[/quote]
Obviously not mate. Why would I want to take you to my band's website so you can go and write what a prat I am on there? If I was going to lie, I'd have said 80,000 wouldn't I!