Why become a member? ×

Best P bass money can buy?

Musicman20

American Series Precision. Great Bass. I have 3, selling one, but might keep it!

What is their above the P bass from Fender apart from a custom maker?

How do people rate the Lakland P Basses (Skyline)?

Im guessing the Fender AV62 might be a good start, but anything else apart from going down the true vintage market and spending bloody ages finding one?

I bought a Bacchus Woodline P Classic a few years back and it's the King P of P Mountain as far as I'm concerned. Cost slightly less than an American Standard too, even to import from Japan. The pickups are bang on, it'll roar like an angry bear if you work it hard but has got that motown fatness too when you roll the tone back. Tried a selection of other P's but they just don't give me the same warm glow.

I like it a lot.

Plus, those glow-in-the-dark side dots are f*cking genius :)

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Musicman20' post='929937' date='Aug 19 2010, 03:44 PM']American Series Precision. Great Bass. I have 3, selling one, but might keep it!

What is their above the P bass from Fender apart from a custom maker?

How do people rate the Lakland P Basses (Skyline)?

Im guessing the Fender AV62 might be a good start, but anything else apart from going down the true vintage market and spending bloody ages finding one?[/quote]
I think you'll find you'll hit the wall - the one with "law of diminishing returns" written all over it :)

Essentially a P bass is a very simple (and lovely) thing. What justification can you make for a bass that is really really expensive but still has a volume, tone and split P pickup. Believe me I'm already looking at the wall with my Pino and Sadowsky - plus the Alleva Coppolo I've got on loan.

Personally I think it all comes down to one unfortunate thing - there are good ones and bad ones in all walks of basses. Sure, paying more should put you in a bracket where quality is assured, but there is no guarantee. You just have to play it and see if it feels good and talks to you in a way that you want. Luckily the 2 P basses I've got are also the most awesome examples of the genre that I've managed to play (so far). But that hasnt stopped me thinking there is a better version out there...I think I'm starting to see the wood for the tree's. I think finding a vintage gem is about as good as it gets. A lot of work, but imagine the satisfaction.

I've heard that Chris Celinders P basses really nail the concept. But I'm sure you're best off with a Fender Precision with a few years on it. I'd check out a Celinder P if you fancy a boutique take with all the thump and growl P's are about. I think there's one for sale atm actually on here..

it could be worth checking out a Sandberg California.
I haven't tried one of their P Basses; but I do own one of the Jazz based ones (a JM4 Deluxe - see pic).
this one cost me bout £1100 brand new about 20 months ago, after some serious haggling....also took advantage of the Arts Council 10 month interest free loan, dunno if that's still available tho.

anyway i am s serious leo fender addict and I almost cannot bring myself to say this, but.....these Sandbergs are probably better than anything made by Fender, MusicMan or G&L; but only after Leo had left those companies.
IMO there is something magical about any of those brands, when Leo was still involved personally.

Lastly, if you want to improve on a P, but still retain that P or Fender ethos, you could also try an American made G&L (not a Tribute).
SB-1 is basically a great P.
L-2000 or Asat are both excellent active/passive two-pup combinations of a P, a J and a Ray; but different from all of those and nonetheless great instruments.

Edited by Bassnut62

On true vintages i played a 67 all origional p bass, probably my favourite bass to date.

BIG +1 on the sandberg's if you want an active bass. Im just waiting for the money so i can order a JJ5 :) I played on the PM5 i think it is, its incredibly punchy if you want it to be but you can also get some beautiful lows and mids, kind of like a more versatile stingray.

Surely it all comes down to tastes though? Do you want a chunky neck, slim neck, a lightweight or weighty beast? Is it a modern classic or a vintage dream? Maple or rosewood etc.

etc

The best P-bass surely is the one that feels right in your hands? And there should therefore be a million different answers here

[quote name='Musicman20' post='930271' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:29 PM']Thanks guys.

Has to be passive, and I think ive probably hit the wall of trying to find better but not succeeding, as what I have is great.

Im looking at the Lakland 44-64 (Bob Glaub) as well though...im wondering what theyd be like, especially the latest ones.

Any ideas?[/quote]

Sandbergs Calis are active or passive - i keep mine in passive almost all the time, except when slapping which isn't often as I'm crap-at-slap

Why just one best?

I seem to have ended up with several just now, and each does a different job. Fretted / fretless, 4-string / 5-string, active / passive, single pickup / PJ combination.

There is no one best, because there isn't just one way to play bass, or just one type of music to play.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='930333' date='Aug 19 2010, 09:51 PM']Iz yoo nut a gret bazz zlapper?!

Truckstop[/quote]

'fraid not - not many slappers that I like anyhow - two noteable exceptions being Larry Graham (the SlapDaddy) and Rusty Allen who followed Larry into Sly Stone's band in the early 70s
(i'll leave the slapper gags to someone else!)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='929937' date='Aug 19 2010, 07:44 AM']What is their above the P bass from Fender apart from a custom maker?[/quote]
I've played a few of the P Bass Specials from the '80's that were nice. You know the ones that came with one or two P pickups and the gold hardware and beefy bridge? I don't like the gold so much but the few I've played were quite nice.

Here's one

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='930281' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:49 PM']Knowing him.... whatever he wants this week, he'd have gone off it next week, and he'd be after something else. I have never seen anyone like him in terms of gas and "wants" lol :)[/quote]

Hahah, I get involved in wanting bits and bobs and realise Ive got caught up in 'new bass' hysteria.

A P is ALWAYS my goto instrument, next is the Ray, and the Jazz closely behind.

I dont know why it is, but the P works.

I like to investigate them, check what works for me, then make a decision, which then probably changes hahaha.

Im going through a transition of not knowing what I want next I think, and I really miss my natural Ray 4. Sob.

Really, 2 Ps (minimum), 2 Js, and 2 Rays plus a 5 string of some type is where I want to be.

These don't come up for sale very often. It's a P/J - not easy to see in the photos.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-US-Fender-Precision-Bass-Plus-Blueburst-hardcase-/270622458027?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-US-Fender-Preci...ents_Guitars_CV[/url]

[quote name='Rich' post='930081' date='Aug 19 2010, 05:38 PM']The best P bass money can buy is the one that, when you play it, makes you go "ooh" and come over all unnecessary more than any other. Could be a Lakky, could be a Celinder, could be a MIM.[/quote]
Yeah that's the nub of it.

It happened to me when I went out to by a MIM 50s RI, I wandered into the Bass Centre and started chatting when I saw some old beater on the wall. I asked what it was, a 63 came the answer, I asked to have a play just for poops and giggles, MISTAKE! It played wonderfully and plugging in didn't do anything to diminish my first impression, it's not often I've had an instrument feel like it should be mine and the cost was prohibitive (I'd only come out to spend £500ish) so I walked away. Fortunately Mrs Ezbass thought it would be a good investment and told me to buy it if I liked it. The only other P that has done this is a 74 I tried recently, I'm not saying that vintage is the way go, but these are basses that have "spoken to me" and this is the way forward for that "special" bass.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='930388' date='Aug 19 2010, 10:47 PM']I've played a few of the P Bass Specials from the '80's that were nice. You know the ones that came with one or two P pickups and the gold hardware and beefy bridge? I don't like the gold so much but the few I've played were quite nice.

Here's one
[/quote]

just very heavy! for that reason I don't think i'll ever gig mine but it's sweet - am saving up to get a set up with Peter Allen cos it's pretty battered and needs some love