Why become a member? ×

How close is a Sterling Ray to a real Stingray

kidman007

Hi everybody!

I currently have an Ibanez Soundgear bass that was $350 and I like it a lot, but I am ready to get a better bass. For a couple weeks now I have been eyeing Stingrays, they have exactly what I am looking for in a bass. I have also been eyeing the price tag and it is too extreme for me. Then I discovered the sterling, which is also made by music man for a much more reasonable price.

So my question is a sterling similar enough to the real thing? Or shold i wait a (very) extended period of time and save the money for a stingray?

Thanks guys!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='902268' date='Jul 22 2010, 01:52 PM']Hi there. I would always go for a good used example of a Stingray, you can get them for the price of a new Sterling.

Edit, just been on ebay and my God, have they shot up in price. :)[/quote]

I know its crazy! the cheapest one i can find (in the usa) is $799 [url="http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm"]http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm[/url] and that doesnt include some kind of crazy shipping.

But would that vintage 1976 bass be as good as a regular stingray?

[quote name='tombboy' post='902295' date='Jul 22 2010, 08:11 PM']Made in Korea..... assembled in SLO USA.
Take a leaf out of 'The Jerk'....... sh*t and shinola!! :)
They're good......but they're not a 'Ray.[/quote]

Ah yes! but they do have a special purpose!

I remember when Ray's could be had for the price of a cup of tea used! They'd lost their cool for a bit and hadn't quite transitioned into being the "uber workhorse" that many (myself included) now believe them to be. However, they've picked up again and it looks like their values are being lifted even more by the Sterlings.

Shame really, as I love a good Ray!

Well in order to disagree somewhat - it depends what you are after.

If you are bothered that its not a 'real' EBMM or that its been made in Korea then maybe you are best waiting for a USA EBMM. If, however you are more concerned about the sound and feel then buy away! I've got a Sterling Ray 35 and it plays and feels exactly like my friends' 'real' SR5. To my mind the quality and materials are there, and sure the body is basswood but it doesn't significantly impact on the tonal properties but it does make it a little lighter.

My view - they are gonna hold their value great ('cause they are so close to the EBMM) so if you got one and still had a niggle for an EBMM then keep saving and the sell the Sterling, you should be in a good position to gain most of, if not all, your money back!

[quote name='kidman007' post='902263' date='Jul 22 2010, 07:50 PM']Hi everybody!

I currently have an Ibanez Soundgear bass that was $350 and I like it a lot, but I am ready to get a better bass. For a couple weeks now I have been eyeing Stingrays, they have exactly what I am looking for in a bass. I have also been eyeing the price tag and it is too extreme for me. Then I discovered the sterling, which is also made by music man for a much more reasonable price.

So my question is a sterling similar enough to the real thing? Or shold i wait a (very) extended period of time and save the money for a stingray?

Thanks guys![/quote]

I tried a couple of these in the shop and compared them to a Stingray and sound and playability wise couldn't tell the difference.

There are a few cost saving differences like they don't have the compensating nut, the battery compartment has the press on clip on the end of two wires instead of the plug in type, they come with a gigbag rather than a hardcase and are availailabe in a limited range of colours.

They are not actually made by Musicman. I don't know what the exact status of them is. Designed and licensed by Musicman maybe, but built by Cort in Indonesia before having final QA in America. I found the quality of workmanship to be as good and in some ways better then the US made modesl. Not everyone would agree with me though. I've read some less then complimentay comments. Maybe their QA is not as good as it could be.

Personally if I was going to spend that sort of dosh I would be patient and look for a used Stingray. If you decided you didn't like it you would at least get your money back on resale.

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='902358' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:09 PM']and sure the body is basswood but it doesn't significantly impact on the tonal properties but it does make it a little lighter.[/quote]

The body is Swamp Ash, the Ray is Ash. I haven't a clue what the difference is. I don't think it comes from a swamp :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='902377' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:26 PM']In which areas were they better built than the EB?[/quote]

I only compared them to the Ray they had hanging in the shop but the finish on the Honeyburst Ray34 was more attractive then the Honeyburst on the Stingray. The grain showed through better whereas on the Stingray the finish looked quite opaque and dull and the woodgrain didn't show as well.

It also played better but again that could just be down to the setup on those particular basses.

Me and a friend who both play EBMM Rays tried out the new Ray 34 at the Mansons guitar show. We were impressed. I don't think you would be disapointed, but if the cost of second hand Ray is close then you have to make a serious decision.

I own a natural finished SBMM Ray 34 i would say the sound, look and feel is spot on. I a/b'ed against a couple of real Ray's when i was looking to buy a ray type bass and there was minimal difference IMO. The quality of it is fairly impressive too, the standard of the Ash grain is better than a fair few real EBMM Ray naturals ive seen too.
Go for it! they are great basses.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='902374' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:23 PM']The body is Swamp Ash, the Ray is Ash. I haven't a clue what the difference is. I don't think it comes from a swamp :)[/quote]

HAHAHA this has to go in the best quote thread. Awsome comment.

[quote name='kidman007' post='902263' date='Jul 22 2010, 07:50 PM']Hi everybody!

Thanks guys![/quote]

yes, they are similar enough IMO.

You could always pop around to mine and have a play with my Black Ray34. IMO its a great bass in its own right. These are made in the Cort factory (as are many other basses).
Ive put a Nordy in mine and thats given it a bit more depth.

I will admit ive not much experience with a SR4 so cant tell how close it is but most people who own them say they are as close as you will get without getting the real thing.

Its true, you can get a SR4 second hand for a few £100 more but not one with a matching headstock IME. These cost a lot more. I was looking for a second hand SR4 earlier this year but i realised you have to either get lucky to find one in the exact colour you want, at the price you can pay, or take more or less anything that comes along. For me the look of the matching headstock was a real attraction and i couldn't find any second hand at the time.

Just my thoughts though.

Oh, and there is one for sale in the classifieds (shameless plug ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

I had a pre EB MM ..probably around early 80's and it was my workhorse for eons.

Rock solid bass and good build. I do know of peolpe who have had EBMM delivered recently and they have gone straight back re QC.
I wouldn't buy any basses of that ilk now on spec alone..I would have to see and play it.
Maybe I was just lucky with the MM but it was sure a good 'un, IMV.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a Ray34 which is a carbon copy of the SR4 I used to own and sold on. Here's the strange thing - it feels a bit better to play than the USA SR4 I had. Also (and it's early days, i've not gigged it yet), it doesn't seem to have the brittle top end mine used to have. It's a bit weird buying a copy of the bass you used to own though - think I'm going Back To The Future.

Sterling rays are only there to fill a void in their Market.
As they cancelled the OLP thing, and the SUB thing.

IME the SUB is better option for a cheap ray, it's the same US parts assembled in the US. Except the body is poplar, and is missing "bells and whistles"

You can pickup used SUB basses for less than £400.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='928277' date='Aug 18 2010, 01:24 AM']Sterling rays are only there to fill a void in their Market.
As they cancelled the OLP thing, and the SUB thing.

IME the SUB is better option for a cheap ray, it's the same US parts assembled in the US. Except the body is poplar, and is missing "bells and whistles"

You can pickup used SUB basses for less than £400.[/quote]

Not so, the SUB bridge and tuners are not the same as they are not stamped and the poplar body is slab not contoured, although with the introduction of the slab bodied classic Rays this is now a current design feature. Having said that the SUBs were great and I adore mine, with the exception of having to strip the painted neck when it got shiny and sticky.

On the subject of Ray34s I prefer mine to my old 3 band US Ray as I prefer the neck profile and the sound. My only complaint is that one of the frets lifted at the edge a little, but a little tap with a hammer and dressing at the edge sorted that.

if you buy a used ray and decide you dont like itor want to change it in a year or so you should be able to sell it for near enough what you paid for it. If you buy a stirling you will sell it for perhaps 2/3rds of what you pay for it.

Country of origin is not a guarantee of quality, and most of the stuff from the cort factory is pretty good. The stirling is probably built to a price point and there may be some compromises but whether or not they make any appreciable difference depends on the player.

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='bumnote' post='928322' date='Aug 18 2010, 08:20 AM']if you buy a used ray and decide you dont like itor want to change it in a year or so you should be able to sell it for near enough what you paid for it. If you buy a stirling you will sell it for perhaps 2/3rds of what you pay for it.

Country of origin is not a guarantee of quality, and most of the stuff from the cort factory is pretty good. The stirling is probably built to a price point and there may be some compromises but whether or not they make any appreciable difference depends on the player.[/quote]
The value thing is very true - a Ray34's not going to hold it's money from new.

Re: build quality - I think something either feels good or it doesn't. So far, the Ray 34 I've got feels more playable than my old SR4 ever did.