Why become a member? ×

Smallest/lightest pound-for-pound amp?

Clarky

I have just acquired an Orange AD200B amp and am aware that valve amps are sometimes troublesome ... so I want a very small head to carry in gigbag pocket as back-up. I am assuming the SWR Headlite, Genz Shuttle or MarkBass F1 are the smallest but there are others.

Which one would you choose in my situation (bearing in mind I prefer a valve pre-amp for some extra warmth/grit and as it saves me having to carry a separate pedal)?

I have excluded the Orange Terror Bass as, whilst dinky, it is not quite tiny enough, likewise the Mesa Walkabout head (which I already have in my combo).

Yay, poll time!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='882863' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:08 PM']I have just acquired an Orange AD200B amp and am aware that valve amps are sometimes troublesome ... so I want a very small head to carry in gigbag pocket as back-up. I am assuming the SWR Headlite, Genz Shuttle or MarkBass F1 are the smallest but there are others.

Which one would you choose in my situation (bearing in mind I prefer a valve pre-amp for some extra warmth/grit and as it saves me having to carry a separate pedal)?

I have excluded the Orange Terror Bass as, whilst dinky, it is not quite tiny enough, likewise the Mesa Walkabout head (which I already have in my combo).

Yay, poll time![/quote]

I'd say Shuttle 6 or Headlite. I've owned both and personally would go with the Headlite because it has a better feature set, however the Shuttle probably does grit more easily and will be found used at a good price. Does that help?

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' post='882875' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:17 PM']Quite loud though, although I wouldn't say it does grit very well, if at all.[/quote]

Fair enough, no grit from that.

But it's *tiny* and *shiny*

and _dear_

GK MB-200 or MB2-500 are the smallest/lightest I know of: [url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb.html"]http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb.html[/url]

The MB-200 only weighs 1kg if 200w is enough power!

The Orange Terror does come with a carry bag though an has the same preamp as the AD200 so I'd still consider it!

Edited by dannybuoy

I've raised this issue before re. the shuttle 3.0, but I'll happily restate it :
when you push the power stage quite hard, it distorts in quite a nice valvey stylee, and it's not at ear bleeding volumes either.
This is worth considering, as not all desirable distortion comes from an overdriven front end. It's just that the Genz's transition in to distortion is a lot more musical than traditional s-s amps. I'm sure the 6.0 does it too, but you'd end up playing very loud to get the same effect.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='882940' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:11 PM']I've raised this issue before re. the shuttle 3.0, but I'll happily restate it :
when you push the power stage quite hard, it distorts in quite a nice valvey stylee, and it's not at ear bleeding volumes either.
This is worth considering, as not all desirable distortion comes from an overdriven front end. It's just that the Genz's transition in to distortion is a lot more musical than traditional s-s amps. I'm sure the 6.0 does it too, but you'd end up playing very loud to get the same effect.[/quote]
Thx. Would this cope with being put through a Barefaced 2x15 Vintage cab? Or is it too lacking in power? I need something thats loud enough to deal with a club/pub/small hall sized gig (for which the AD200B is obviously overkill!)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='882915' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:45 PM']GK MB-200 or MB2-500 are the smallest/lightest I know of: [url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb.html"]http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb.html[/url]

The MB-200 only weighs 1kg if 200w is enough power!

The Orange Terror does come with a carry bag though an has the same preamp as the AD200 so I'd still consider it![/quote]

I would have had it on the list, Dan, if it meant not carrying separately as my OCD tendencies would like the same brand as back-up!

[quote name='Clarky' post='883010' date='Jul 1 2010, 02:29 PM']Thx. Would this cope with being put through a Barefaced 2x15 Vintage cab? Or is it too lacking in power? I need something thats loud enough to deal with a club/pub/small hall sized gig (for which the AD200B is obviously overkill!)[/quote]
having used a Shuttle 3 with a compact i'd say no. To get loud the compact needs juice and this won't have it IMHO. Saying that though the Shuttle 3.0-10T combo kept up in a four piece, admittedly maxed but it was there :rolleyes:

If you are after the same tome as the AD200 i.e gritty i would discount the MB stuff as it won't do it. I love my LM3 but it ain't going to gring like my little bastard!!!

Saying all that the LB and AE210 coped fine with a practice until a valve blew :) and thats only 30 watts :brow:

Edited by sk8

[quote name='sk8' post='883021' date='Jul 1 2010, 02:40 PM']having used a Shuttle 3 with a compact i'd say no. To get loud the compact needs juice and this won't have it IMHO. Saying that though the Shuttle 3.0-10T combo kept up in a four piece, admittedly maxed but it was there :rolleyes:[/quote]

I've gigged with one of these and was astonished at how loud it went with decent low end as well :)

It wasn't breaking up at all at the volumes I had and that was in a 7 piece band.

TC RH450 has more power and the 'tubetone' option but it's a fair bit bigger than the real micro amps (still pretty small but just not as tiny as the latest breed!).

Dude, save the money, get a gig bag with a big pocket and take the Walkabout head as backup like I do. Alternatively buy/get made a flight that'll take both the Orange and the Mesa together. At least you can get grunt out of the Mesa if needs be - as an ex-owner of a Markbass fag packet, you'll remember the old equation small amps = small sound*

C

* that's a little bit tongue in cheek before I get hate mail

[quote name='Clarky' post='883010' date='Jul 1 2010, 02:29 PM']Thx. Would this cope with being put through a Barefaced 2x15 Vintage cab? Or is it too lacking in power? I need something thats loud enough to deal with a club/pub/small hall sized gig (for which the AD200B is obviously overkill!)[/quote]

It should be fine, the Vintage is quite an efficient cab anyway. I've not tried the Shuttle but I run a 250W head (50W less than the shuttle 3.0) through two 1x15's, which are probably similar to or less efficient than the vintage, and it is still deafening by the time it gets the point of overdriving the power amp -- I've never actually needed it that loud, in any gig situation.

[quote name='Beedster' post='883041' date='Jul 1 2010, 03:00 PM']Dude, save the money, get a gig bag with a big pocket and take the Walkabout head as backup like I do. Alternatively buy/get made a flight that'll take both the Orange and the Mesa together.[/quote]
I am not as butch as you Chris (dodgy back) and I find the Orange amp quite heavy enough (c.25kg) without a flight case, let alone one also containing a Walkabout! Sorry but thats a non-starter. Plus I really doubt there's a gig bag with a strong enough and big enough pocket for a Walkabout! I want super-light to make my life easier. Appreciate the thoughts though :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='883084' date='Jul 1 2010, 03:42 PM']I am not as butch as you Chris (dodgy back) and I find the Orange amp quite heavy enough (c.25kg) without a flight case, let alone one also containing a Walkabout! Sorry but thats a non-starter. Plus I really doubt there's a gig bag with a strong enough and big enough pocket for a Walkabout! I want super-light to make my life easier. Appreciate the thoughts though :)[/quote]

Wimp :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='883084' date='Jul 1 2010, 03:42 PM']I am not as butch as you Chris (dodgy back) and I find the Orange amp quite heavy enough (c.25kg) without a flight case, let alone one also containing a Walkabout! Sorry but thats a non-starter. Plus I really doubt there's a gig bag with a strong enough and big enough pocket for a Walkabout! I want super-light to make my life easier. Appreciate the thoughts though :)[/quote]

BTW I meant the Walkabout head, not the combo, it's very light out of its case. I used to carry mine around in an old silver camera case and could carry that and a bass in the same hand with no problem?

Still, your cash!

C

[quote name='Raggy' post='883125' date='Jul 1 2010, 04:10 PM']That Little Rocker might be what you are after, have not heard one though.[/quote]
Looks interesting Raggy but I have yet to read a single proper review of one! Besides I probably need the LM Old Rocker :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='882968' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:42 PM']What about the Ashdown Little Giant 500. Dirt cheap and does what it says on the tin.[/quote]
Another quality avatar change . Going through a brunette stage are we ?

Excellent taste sir