Why become a member? ×

Smallest/lightest pound-for-pound amp?

Clarky

I know where Clarky is coming from, but Id be tempted with the Mesa WA option.

If you want super light and powerful, the MB F1, Genz Benz 6.0/9.0 or GK MB500 are your best bet.

Personally, I really want to get on with the Genz gear, but the 6.0 will sound bass-lite to a chap who is used to warm tubes....believe me.

Who actually manages to get grind/proper dirt/rock tone from a Genz amp? I tried it with the Shuttle 9.0 and managed to get a very low bit of 'hair' on the notes, even with an active bass.

The F1 is a great amp, but I still think I prefer the LM3.

There is a LM Rocker Demo vid somewhere in German.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Clarky' post='883010' date='Jul 1 2010, 02:29 PM']Thx. Would this cope with being put through a Barefaced 2x15 Vintage cab? Or is it too lacking in power? I need something thats loud enough to deal with a club/pub/small hall sized gig (for which the AD200B is obviously overkill!)[/quote]
I can't speak from experience but would think 300W through an efficient 2x15 would be loud enough for most gigs (the Vintage is 4ohms, right?)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='883508' date='Jul 1 2010, 10:45 PM']I can't speak from experience but would think 300W through an efficient 2x15 would be loud enough for most gigs (the Vintage is 4ohms, right?)[/quote]
It is 4 ohms, thanks!

[quote name='Clarky' post='883148' date='Jul 1 2010, 04:27 PM']Looks interesting Raggy but I have yet to read a single proper review of one! Besides I probably need the LM Old Rocker :)[/quote]

Heh heh.

Found a linky, but like you say, no proper reviews anywhere [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iqwo828es"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iqwo828es[/url]

Thinking about it though, if it is just a back up amp, it is what it is. Its just there "in case". Chances are the AD200 will not ever let you down.

[quote name='Raggy' post='883529' date='Jul 1 2010, 11:10 PM']Thinking about it though, if it is just a back up amp, it is what it is. Its just there "in case". Chances are the AD200 will not ever let you down.[/quote]
I was thinking too that if its just there "in case", then why not go a cheap and small option - the Genz 3.0 seems to tick most boxes, other than grit and heavy lows, plus its attracting the most votes. One BC'er has one FS at £250 and I'm thing how can I go wrong with this? With any luck the Orange won't fail anyway. Would be peeved to spend £700 on LM Rocker only to never use it!

Edited by Clarky

Thats not a bad price really, if it didnt work out for you, you could more than likely get back what you paid. And I think if you treat it right, which no doubt you will, a tube amp would be no more unrealiable than an SS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been thinking about getting a small amp, purely as a backup.
I've read all the comments here with interest but pricewise the Ashdown LG 350 is available from Thomann delivered with 3 year guarantee for £165. Thats almost half the price of the next cheapest option new that I could find (LMK 250 £291). For an amp that might never get used and for emergencies when it would be more a case of the show must go on rather than getting the ideal sound looks good value. Does anyone have a good opinion of these and are they a option for anyone looking for a budget solution?

[quote name='goaround' post='898615' date='Jul 19 2010, 08:49 AM']I have also been thinking about getting a small amp, purely as a backup.
I've read all the comments here with interest but pricewise the Ashdown LG 350 is available from Thomann delivered with 3 year guarantee for £165. Thats almost half the price of the next cheapest option new that I could find (LMK 250 £291). For an amp that might never get used and for emergencies when it would be more a case of the show must go on rather than getting the ideal sound looks good value. Does anyone have a good opinion of these and are they a option for anyone looking for a budget solution?[/quote]

I think the LG is a very good idea. Like you say, it probably wont get used but if it did it would certainly get you through a gig.

Dont for get to get a backup for it though ;-)

There are people on here who have them i believe, although i cant remember who.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='883559' date='Jul 1 2010, 11:41 PM']Just thought, Ibanez Promethean?[/quote]

Yup, it's tiny, smaller than the LittleMarks, and very very well built.
500W at 4 Ohms.

Eude

In the end I chose a TC Classic 450. Not as small and light as some of the options discussed above but a good approximation of a tube amp (similar to a Mesa Walkabout) in a very user-friendly package that was obviously very carefully designed for the gigging/travelling bassist (eg, accepts different voltages without having to make any adjustments, one input covers active/passive basses, mute button for tuning, built-in compression that works etc). What is more they have just cut the price by £100 so that it did not cost a great deal more than the best offer I had for a second hand shuttle. Check it out at BassDirect folks

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='farmer61' post='899426' date='Jul 19 2010, 09:11 PM']Does this mean you don't want the next available GB Shuttle 6 anymore....?[/quote]
Yep, I'm no longer in the market farmer61 (that sounds a bit odd, very agrarian!)

Genz is 600w into 4ohms! :) and real too unlike the Ashdown half of what it says on the tin output, (earlier in the post someone put something about them doing "exactly what they says on the tin" but they dont do they if they are not bridgeable for full output?)
Loads of valve grind from the pre-amp too and I wonder if for most of the pub and club guys (like me) anymore power would be overkill.I use a 4ohm cab and even in a large room (Lea hall in Rugeley if anyone knows it?) Output halfway and just clipping the input O/L led it was going over the p.a system and the DI was now doing nothing,So where would you need to play to need loads more ?(which it has anyway). If anything I could do with a smaller cab for smaller venues so I could push the 8 ohm into 375watts to get a better sound.

Edited by stingrayPete1977