Why become a member? ×

Can you still hear like a teenager?

KiOgon

[url="http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/"]Hearing Test[/url]

I got a bit of a surprise :) Let's see how you do!

I shall be 60 next birthday & I know when I was a mere lad working at Vox my hearing was good up to 20KHz.

Oh boy how things have changed :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: Nothing much you can do about aging though.

Cheers,
John

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='834316' date='May 11 2010, 03:38 PM']Don't panic, a lot of soundcards or speakers aren't capable of reproducing some of the higher (or lower) frequencies... :rolleyes:[/quote]
Yeah that's what I thought :) can't use that excuse when my 27 year old is sitting next to me & he can hear almost to the top!

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='834316' date='May 11 2010, 03:38 PM']Don't panic, a lot of soundcards or speakers aren't capable of reproducing some of the higher (or lower) frequencies... :)[/quote]

Just showed this to be correct. i could hear all pitches through one pair of headphones , but stopped aft 15k with another. From the sounds of it, it seemed like i was hearing harmonics on a few as the pitch appeared to drop on some samples of increased frequency. I product of the sound clip? the headphones? my ears?

Looks like we play the right instrument though, should be able to hear a low E when i'm 99!

So don't panic, could well be the sound setup.

Rich

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='834357' date='May 11 2010, 04:17 PM']my work headphones have limiters built in to them so couldnt hear anything from 16khz. went to 19 on the cheap headphones[/quote]

Why limit high frquencies? Does this reduce ear damage? can you hear a difference with music played on each set of headphones?

Intriguing

rich

[quote name='dave.c' post='834363' date='May 11 2010, 04:22 PM']15 kHz is fine, 16 kHz, is a lot quieter but I can hear it then nothing at all.

I'm 48, going to try it on my wife and 3 year old son later see how they do.[/quote]

If you can't hear your wife and son then you're really in trouble... :)

Nothing past 19Khz. But at 28 that should be about right. I have always worn ear plugs though so Im pretty sure thats been the major contributor to keeping most of my hearing. Maybe its time to invest in some nice moulded ones though ...the doc pro plugs are ok but do lose a fair bit of top end clarity.

[quote name='richrips' post='834366' date='May 11 2010, 04:25 PM']Why limit high frquencies? Does this reduce ear damage? can you hear a difference with music played on each set of headphones?

Intriguing

rich[/quote]

Yeah the majority of hearing loss is caused by loud high pitched noise ....horrendous feedback from singers who don't realise you shouldn't point mic's at monitors for example.

23 and 17khz is the highest I can hear. 18khz is a no-no.

I've tried through speakers, earphones and headphones. Dunno if the soundcard is limiting it though. If not, I know exactly where the damage occured, and that'll be at a gig where it actually hurt my ears due to a spike in volume (singer screaming down the mic as I was infront of a pa stack in the crowd).

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='834411' date='May 11 2010, 05:03 PM']23 and 17khz.

I've tried through speakers, earphones and headphones. Dunno if the soundcard is limiting it though. If not, I know exactly where the damage occured, and that'll be at a gig where it actually hurt my ears due to a spike in volume (singer screaming down the mic as I was infront of a pa stack in the crowd).[/quote]

I'm 23 and hear nothing at 17kHz too... And for some reason now my ears won't stop ringing lol. I think I lose this game :)

As an extra to the above post I made: The problem I've got with the whole shebang is that back home a house has got one of those anti-dog/fox/cat things on the front lawn.

I can hear that loud and clear when I walk past it and it's certainly higher pitched than that 17khz tone on the site. Last time was at Easter, I noticed it then and I've done nothing since then that would account for a massive drop in my ear's response.