Why become a member? ×

Guaranteed Dancefloor Emptiers

ianwild16

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1195655864' post='92157']
"Dolly Parton's Tits" by Roy 'Chubby' Brown. At some benefit gig for Lichfield feminists. Funnily enough, the only heckler was a bloke.
[/quote]

Thought that was by MacLean & MacLean - taken from the album "Taking the O out of Country"!

Guitarist changing patches on his pedal board to get "the tone"
Guitarist changing guitar in between songs to get "the tone"
Guitarist tuning up in between songs...
.......Bass player changing guitarists face in between songs

All these things have emptied dance floors in my experience, very rarely a song though.

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1344530765' post='1766107']
Guitarist changing patches on his pedal board to get "the tone"
Guitarist changing guitar in between songs to get "the tone"
Guitarist tuning up in between songs...
.......Bass player changing guitarists face in between songs

All these things have emptied dance floors in my experience, very rarely a song though.
[/quote]WHAT IS IT WITH GEETARDS??

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1195660956' post='92195']
We've never cleared a floor before, we usually start off with a stand-off-ish crowd (que singers joke about the space on the floor in front of us) and by the end of the set we have folk all over us - that's just the way we work the set list I think. But at practice if I get bored and do a bit of Sunn O))) I usually get a few WTF looks and the offended have been know to leave the room. :D
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I vaguely remember everyone disappeared that time we played "Inner London Violence" ;) Cool song to play, but no-one fancied dancing to it.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1195565681' post='91461']
Never tried it, but I imagine anything by Leonard Cohen?[/quote]

We have two Cohen tracks in our set - 'Ain't no cure for Love' and 'Tower of Song'. Not really 'dancey' tracks but they always go down well!
'Superstition' by Stevie Wonder and 'Standing on the Verge of Getting It On' by Funkadelic, on the other hand... Well, needless to say we dropped those two. No pleasing some audiences! :D

Many years ago I was persuaded to go to some "singles night" in a local community centre. When I got in there it was obvious why all these people were singles. Anyway there was a disco and the bloke was playing a lot of soul and funk, nobody was dancing except some lass that for obvious reasons nobody else wanted to dance with. He put on some Status Quo so she sat down and a few lads including me got up for the thumbs in the belt stuff. He then found something similar, as at least he'd got a handful of people on the floor, and one or two more from round the edge came to join in. So then the DJ puts on more soul! We go to sit down, when the next record is another of the same, we sup up and make our exit. I never went to another one of those ...

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1344591956' post='1766734']
Many years ago I was persuaded to go to some "singles night" in a local community centre. When I got in there it was obvious why all these people were singles. Anyway there was a disco and the bloke was playing a lot of soul and funk, nobody was dancing except some lass that for obvious reasons nobody else wanted to dance with. He put on some Status Quo so she sat down and a few lads including me got up for the thumbs in the belt stuff. He then found something similar, as at least he'd got a handful of people on the floor, and one or two more from round the edge came to join in. So then the DJ puts on more soul! We go to sit down, when the next record is another of the same, we sup up and make our exit. I never went to another one of those ...
[/quote]

Sounds a bit sh*te.... What I'd love to do if I was DJ'ing a night would be get a mashup between Chris de bleeuch and Slayer going.... maybe ZZ top and Enya too.

If that's not hit or miss I don't know what is.

Want to empty a dancefloor? play nothing but the first 30 seconds of a whole bunch of classic 'feel good' hits (like bohemian rhapsody, and ace of spades etc.) for 20 minutes :blink:

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1344597559' post='1766853']
We do a version of that Gotye thing which is very well crafted, and people (OK, girls) sing along, but it's dancefloor death.
[/quote]

It's hardly superstition in the booty shakin' groove department though is it?
Kind of a slow one.
Good song, a bit overplayed though on the radio though.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1344597559' post='1766853']
We do a version of that Gotye thing which is very well crafted, and people (OK, girls) sing along, but it's dancefloor death.
[/quote]

i play that as a DJ pretty regularly seems to go down pretty well? strange how that works sometimes, i've found songs which go down really well when a band play them bomb when you stick them in a DJ set and vice versa

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1344598062' post='1766867']
i play that as a DJ pretty regularly seems to go down pretty well? strange how that works sometimes, i've found songs which go down really well when a band play them bomb when you stick them in a DJ set and vice versa
[/quote]

I'd chalk it up to the band 'feeling it' or not, the crowd 'feeling it' (or not) and maybe even the time it's played and the venue (an intimate venue plays different to a stadium).

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1195468616' post='90703']
No idea why Steve and if I say so myself, we do a good rendition too - beats me.
[/quote]

Maybe how it fits into the rest of the set. I've seen that happen on occasion.

Not so much these days but if a DJ found what got girls on the floor then the guys will surely follow.
That was always the key to a good DJ night IMO

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7