Why become a member? ×

Idiotic Comments

Doddy

[quote name='xgsjx' post='829373' date='May 6 2010, 10:04 AM']I work with a girl (I play g***ar, she sings) & she knows very little about music.
If she can't sing the key it's in she always gets the direction backwards, eg: if she wants me to go down a key she asks me to go up & knows ziltch about theory in any form whatsoever.
But she's got a good voice & is a nice girl so I usually just ask her to sing & then I find her key (which 8 times out of 10 is Eb).[/quote]

I bet you play in E though :)

I have to agree.
Many singers I've encountered don't know the first thing about musical theory, or keys or modes or scales or how to hold a mic or where to plug it it.
Sure thy can doh-ray-me and arpeggiate in several keys but they don't know what they are doing.
However it seldom matters as they have great voices, have natural timing and ability and can remember the words. They learn where to come in and when and they do a great job. Most of us have been trained in singing since we were babies and that works for a lot of people.

The opposite is a piano player I jam with occasionally who is studying Jazz at college and can waffle on about this and that technique, modes, scales, jazz classics, the note choices of Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker and Miles Davis and how they colour the tune etc etc etc.
He can't jam a twelve bar in C, or keep to a metronome and bass beat ....

Of course assembling and running a band is a totally different matter.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='829296' date='May 6 2010, 08:27 AM']+2

and top of the pops miming
and karaoke-kroakie[/quote]

[quote name='ahpook' post='829331' date='May 6 2010, 09:18 AM'][url="http://www.instantrimshot.com/"]i fankayooo[/url]

:)[/quote]

+ the 3!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='829401' date='May 6 2010, 10:46 AM']Singing isn't the same as learning an instrument, you don't need to learn any theory and you don't have any equipment apart from your voice.[/quote]
<Eh?> you don't need to learn any theory<\Eh?>

[quote name='OldGit' post='829329' date='May 6 2010, 09:18 AM']Actually it sounds like an opportunity to offer some classes in "basic PA setting up for mothers and daughters" and " the fundimentals of a band"[/quote]
And "Why You Are Too Stupid To Ever Gain Respect As A Musician"

[quote name='spike' post='829545' date='May 6 2010, 12:58 PM']One of my singers told me the other day that playing an instrument is easier than singing because you don't have to remember any words.[/quote]

:) classic

[quote name='silddx' post='829507' date='May 6 2010, 12:24 PM']<Eh?> you don't need to learn any theory<\Eh?>[/quote]

Sorry, techniques would be a better word.

If you can talk, you can sing to some extent (however good/bad). So just because someone's a good singer, it doesn't mean that they have to know anything about music or musical equipment.

[quote name='Doddy' post='829240' date='May 6 2010, 01:20 AM']I asked,only to be told that she didn't want bass guitar because "It's too low for
my voice,so I only want a normal guitar"[/quote]

So what does do with the songs on CD which (I assume) have bass on them? Does she turn the bass eq down or does she have a Tascam Bass Trainer and cut the bass out!

What is normal about a guitar?

Ah! I am reminded of an occasion when I parked my car outside a rehearsal studio. I am a bass geek & fanatic,I admit - and I have had some 'bass clef' badges made in the style of the normal car manufacturer badge as a replacement on my motor.

A group of 'musicians' were lurking around the back of my car, when one was heard uttering, "Why has that guy got a hearing aid symbol on the back of his car?"

I can't find an emoticon with a big enough roll of the eyes to post!

[quote name='dood' post='829578' date='May 6 2010, 01:35 PM']Ah! I am reminded of an occasion when I parked my car outside a rehearsal studio. I am a bass geek & fanatic,I admit - and I have had some 'bass clef' badges made in the style of the normal car manufacturer badge as a replacement on my motor.

A group of 'musicians' were lurking around the back of my car, when one was heard uttering, "Why has that guy got a hearing aid symbol on the back of his car?"

I can't find an emoticon with a big enough roll of the eyes to post![/quote]
HAHAHA :rolleyes:

I'm musically retarded when it comes to theory (I'm seriously considering learning Piano because my lack of knowledge frustrates me) but even I know a bass clef when I see one. :)

[quote]Singing isn't the same as learning an instrument, you don't need to learn any theory and you don't have any equipment apart from your voice....Sorry, techniques would be a better word.[/quote]
Minus the one. I totally disagree with your opinion. There are some singers that get by with no lessons, practice, technique, theory, but they are the exceptions with a natural talent/predisposition that less naturally talented (or failing) singers use as an excuse not to learn anything. We've seen the same arguments on the forum about amazing bassists/guitarists etc.
[quote]If you can talk, you can sing to some extent[/quote]
I agree with this. This is the basis of speech level singing, which is a great system that has improved my voice massively.

I couldn't sing well before I took up bass and then guitar. I then got better without any work - I could cop a decent tone with my voice. But I wasn't a natural, I didn't ooze feeling when I sang, and my singable range was poor (octave and a half, with it getting more strained and 'splatty' the higher I went). So, I went away, identified my weaknesses, read up on how to address this and have spent time practicing to improve this. My voice is now significantly better, I've added an extra octave to my range, singing high is not a strain at all, and I sound good.

Point that I'm trying to make is, if you want to do something well, you need to work at it. Unless you are born with all the knowledge on a given subject implanted in your head you need to go away and learn about it, and then practice what you've learned and experiment with it to make it work for you. Same goes for 'pro singers': they should know at least the basics on working their equipment, and given that microphones and PA are integral parts of amplifying their 'instruments', I would expect a 'pro singer' to know how to do that sort of thing.

[quote name='Dubs' post='829470' date='May 6 2010, 11:56 AM']You've got to wonder who's she's trying to kid, or if she's just a bit mental...[/quote]

Exactly. When she said "pro singer" was she referring to her preference of sewing machine?

On the original 'Idiotic Comments' subject, I was in Staples yesterday looking for a specific type of pen. I asked the girl on the till where they were, and she pointed me down the relevant aisle. When I brought it back to pay for it she said "Did you find it then?"

I said "Errrr......yes?"

"Oh good" she said, and rang it up on the till.

:)

Ya see theres singing, as in someone who has a wide range, control, dynamics, a good ear etc and theres singing, as in people who've been told in a bar or by their mothers that they have a lovely voice.................. :)
Stupid comment I got the other day when I asked a bassist why he had a capo on the 5th fret, " the guitarist has one too so I thought it would sound better"...........................................................I really wonder about some musicians......................

[quote name='mcgraham' post='829621' date='May 6 2010, 02:16 PM']Minus the one. I totally disagree with your opinion. There are some singers that get by with no lessons, practice, technique, theory, but they are the exceptions with a natural talent/predisposition that less naturally talented (or failing) singers use as an excuse not to learn anything. We've seen the same arguments on the forum about amazing bassists/guitarists etc.[/quote]

Well, to narrow my point down a bit. Anyone can sing to some degree (however good or bad it may be). There's no "starting point" for singing, unlike instruments where someone who's never played would look at a fretboard and it would make no sense at all until it's explained.

It doesn't really matter now though as it's not relevant enough to the thread to warrant a full discussion. ^^

Singing is as valid as any other instrument IMHO, as it requires the learning and practise of both technique and theory to be done at a consistently high level in a professional situation...

Clearly the girl in the OP is deluded (or insane!) and probably doesn't apply a great deal of attention to her understanding of theory or technique...or listening skills, judging by what she said, and probably isn't a professional in the sense that most people know - it might just be that she doesn't have any job and singing is she does [badly]!

Unfortunately, singing seems to be the one musical skill that attracts the most nutcases, probably because it's easy to get into (or at least you don't need to buy anything before you can try it!)...I've been warned about how insane girl siingers can be, and so far I haven't met one that didn't live up to the warnings.

Did you offer to correct her about her misconception about bass Vs 'normal' guitar, or teach her how to set up the PA? if not then I can't see how you feel it's justified to mock her ignorance.

I'll admit I don't know how to set up a PA system, although I might be able to work it out, but i wouldn't feel that that makes me a worse person/bassist, i don't see what the big deal is.

[quote name='Zach' post='829842' date='May 6 2010, 05:27 PM']Did you offer to correct her about her misconception about bass Vs 'normal' guitar, or teach her how to set up the PA? if not then I can't see how you feel it's justified to mock her ignorance.[/quote]

Yes I did try to explain the difference and explain about the PA,but between her and her mother it was difficult to
get a word in edgeways,because every time I said something one of them jumped in to contridict everything I
said.

[quote name='Zach' post='829842' date='May 6 2010, 05:27 PM']Did you offer to correct her about her misconception about bass Vs 'normal' guitar, or teach her how to set up the PA? if not then I can't see how you feel it's justified to mock her ignorance.

I'll admit I don't know how to set up a PA system, although I might be able to work it out, but i wouldn't feel that that makes me a worse person/bassist, i don't see what the big deal is.[/quote]
I think that her presumption that she doesn't need bass, as well as the presence of a know-it-all mother, and her not seeking help/advise despite being unable to set up a PA system suggests that she wouldn't be particularly willing to accept any outside help or advise.

Nothing wrong with not knowing something, or even misunderstanding something...However, there's nothing wrong with seeking help or accepting advise either.