Why become a member? ×

Have you ever fallen in love.............. with a bass ?

redstriper

I don't know if God plays through me, but my Ibanez SR1205 is still making me smile after 9 months. I feel blessed to have that bass. I get goosebumps on opening the case, and I am transported to another world when plugged in and playing with the band. I would probably go back into a burning building to get it.

Sadly not, I doubt I ever will be either.

I love low action and light-medium strings on my left hand but my right hand's very heavy handed which, when I don't like the sound of strings slapping against the fretboard, means there could never be any such thing as a perfect bass for me.

My Ibanez is set up with heavy strings and a medium action so I can play heavy handedly on that. My Warwick is set up with lowish action and medium strings, so I have to play that gently. I am getting used to it though (only had it just under a week) and it does feel and sound amazing, I just need a technique change to get the best from it.

My Fender MIA 75 Re-issue jazz is just pure heaven to play. Just so easy and I don't have to think about what I'm doing. I can play it blind.

My Stingray is very similar. Very easy and easy to play but not quite as natural. Very close though.

My Warwick Corvette is a little harder as it has a very thin neck, a longer neck and smaller body. However, it does feel great to play and looks stunning. I just want its older dirtier sister, the Streamer :) What I will say though, is the Corvette is my first introduction to Warwicks and I love them to bits. Probably my favourite bass company ever. The quality is outstanding, the bass is just beautiful and I am over the moon with it.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='redstriper' post='816880' date='Apr 24 2010, 01:20 AM']I mean true love, not lust or infatuation - love in the spiritual sense, where it feels like God is playing through you and you never want to be apart.[/quote]

Nope, I'm afraid with me it's just a lot of lust (usually of other people's basses) :rolleyes: Now where's those pics of the Fodera MG I have :)

I don't love any bass, and there are many which are worth coveting, Lakland, Wal, MTD etc, but the start of it all and my iconic bass is a 3 tone sunburst Fender Precision with a rosewood fingerboard. If Fender could be bothered to make a 5 string version as good as my Lakland I’d probably be playing it. Ho hum!!

Hmmmmn, interesting topic this.

Well as love is tricky emotion at the best of times, and having been there a few times with humans :) I think there is a similar but different type of love involved with basses.

As we can love as many basses as we like without ending up in fisty cuffs, court, or emotional difficulties then I can answer your question with a resounding yes.

However my love is complicated. You see I had a mad and passionate affair with my 1st PRS swampy and still now that thing can make me wild, however I think my 'life partner' will be the Ugly duckling ex Rhino Edwards 'burst EB IV. You see I saw the potential in this one, changed it to how I had worked out would make it best it could be, and persuaded it it to change. It has delivered in Caterpillar 632G loads........

For that I respect it, and cherish it as a true companion. It is simply 'my sound' and yes I love it.

The right hand one of these 2

(Oh and for those who dont know the 632G [url="http://www.uk.cat.com/cmms/16927139?x=7"]http://www.uk.cat.com/cmms/16927139?x=7[/url] )

I'm besotted with my T-40. Spent years looking for a sound that was 'just right' to my ears, but now I have the T-40 I'm all set. No other basses interest me. I don't eye any others enviously. Sure, sometimes I dally with a Jazz fretless, but that's not true love. More of a on-off fling thing :)

Edited by Jerry_B

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='817960' date='Apr 25 2010, 11:37 AM']Every time I've picked up a Status S2 for a gig in the last twenty years. It's like marrying the exotic girl next door when you're twenty and never looking back :)[/quote]

Are you speaking from experience ?

• 4 weeks later...

I keep coming back to my first love despite feeling sure there's something better out there.
I've played much 'better' basses, but they leave me cold, while my ugly old battered customised (home made) 63 jazz makes me feel like I'm 25 again and I love it despite myself.

There's more to it than specifications and build quality, I can't put my finger on it but without getting too deep, let's just say 'The essence is invisible'.
:)

My Fender Jaguar, my second bass, 7th guitar, first real fender (I'm no longer cou nting my mex tele as a real fender it was a dog)

I brought it on spur of the moment I was comparing prices for standard jazzes and precision and for an extra £100 I could get this deluxe jaguar MIJ. I love it to pieces, no matter what song I play on it me and it make it our own, I can't pickup anything else without comparing it to my jaguar. I also feel like one of those old men in a tweed coat "it's ok I have a jaaaag."

I learned everything on it, it was my first introduction in to something truely 'versatile', with all it's sounds usuable. My first experience of active intrument. Probably first taste of a quality intrument aswell.

It sounds stupid but I feel that when I play it, it makes me better than I am.

I can also finger and slap her without any fight back.

I know there are probably better basses out their but for me the jaguar is perfect.

Maybe I do without realising.
Sitting at the dinner table recently, with my wife sat opposite me,my gaze drifted over her shoulder towards my upright bass
which stands in the corner.It took a while for her to realise that the dreamy look on my face wasnt for her but for the bass.
She got up and walked out of the room without a word.
I think she knew she was beaten..

[quote name='redstriper' post='816880' date='Apr 24 2010, 01:20 AM']I mean true love, not lust or infatuation - love in the spiritual sense, where it feels like God is playing through you and you never want to be apart.

Just wondered. :)[/quote]

No.

Sometimes when I've been playing I feel very much in touch with the music emotionally , at times I'm sure the particular instrument I've been playing has aided in that process.

There have been times too when I just feel the need to pick up a particular instrument because it looks so appealing to my eyes.

But - at the end of the day - I'm the musician. I'm the creator/craftsman/artist/whatever........... and a bass guitar is a bit of wood with strings on it. I can make music without it but it does f**k all by itself. It's not my partner - it's a tool to help me do my job.

I am very attached to my 73P because I've had it for so long and I've had lots of experiences with it BUT that's just nostalgia and sentiment.......

.....and take it from me - anyone confusing sentiment and nostalgia with love is in a sh*t load of trouble.

Edited by Dr.Dave