Why become a member? ×

Funniest things people say when selling their gear

ianrunci

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='814313' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:25 PM']I didn't love the one I had. Didn't get on with the bound body-too uncomfortable.[/quote]

It's exactly why I sold mine :) - played really well and sounded fabulous but on a long gig it dug into my right forearm because of that bound edge. Can't deny it was a beautifully made instrument though, just a crazy design.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='814043' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:27 PM']Another good one is " I want what I paid for it" Why? it's six months older and had had one more owner lol! just accept depreciation[/quote]

Yeah, but it's a bass, not a used car - using that logic, pre CBS Fenders would be going for a tenner on ebay.

I don't suppose you'd sell much if you advertised a bass as having a tree trunk neck, sh*t sound and cost £100 but selling it for £200.

I have been known to be guilty of witholding the last one but not on here. :)

or how about an amp that sounds like Barry White's first dump of the day hitting the pan amplified through a tuba at the bottom of the ocean? Clear as mud and easily overpowered by the bell off a bicycle.

But that's no way to talk about Ashdown :ph34r:

byee

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='chardbass' post='814385' date='Apr 21 2010, 10:13 PM']My favourite reply is the "if this had one more/less string I'd have it off you in a second..etc"

Is that like saying to a first date "if you didn't have such a big nose I'd be paying for your meal"?

:)[/quote]

I disagree with that. I only play 5/6 string basses and there's certain instruments that I really want that come up every so often, but the 4 string versions are useless to me because I wouldn't be able to play enough material on it to make it worth having. Plus if I saw someone post on a thread selling a 4 string bass saying that they'd have bought it if it had more strings and I was thinking about selling the 5 string version, I could then IM them, so it actually serves a purpose too. I assume most people search through the for sale section to look at prices before they buy or sell so there's a good chance any posts like that will be seen.

I'd also assume a seller would rather someone posted "I wish that bass suited my needs because it's brilliant" than just let the thread die. At least there's a valid reason for not buying the bass, unlike all the replies people post saying "ooh, that's a wonderful bass, someone's going to grab a bargain" or whatever variants there are.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='814043' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:27 PM']Another good one is " I want what I paid for it" Why? it's six months older and had had one more owner lol! just accept depreciation[/quote]

In some circumstances if I picked some up at well below the market value, I would try and get what I spent on it back as opposed to flogging it on for a profit.

[quote name='chardbass' post='814385' date='Apr 21 2010, 10:13 PM']My favourite reply is the "if this had one more/less string I'd have it off you in a second..etc"

Is that like saying to a first date "if you didn't have such a big nose I'd be paying for your meal"?

:)[/quote]

:rolleyes: Yup, I'm guilty of saying exactly that....

She did have a very big nose though.

To be fair, I suspect many of us are forced into selling gear by our personal circumstances as opposed to any deficiencies on the part of the gear. I have got three guitars and 2 basses but, in order to finance a double bass and associated accessories, I am going to have to let some of them go. Nothing wrong with them, I just can't get what I want without raising capital. So my reason for selling them is, surprise, surprise, because I need the money! Nothing wrong with them as instruments, perfectly good quality kit, but, in the overall scheme of economic things, I need to prioritise. So, 'great bass' can easily apply to something we have to move.

[quote name='Sean' post='814291' date='Apr 22 2010, 05:11 AM']And then there's Clarky's CIJ p, Sid; the '52 reissue tele guitar I sold cos I was skint and no one I know of has had an Aerodyne they didn't love.[/quote]
Didn't love mine, woolly tone and gave me cramp when I played it due to the bound body/sharp edge at the top-and no it was nothing to do with pleasuring myself the night before!

I just tend to think that if the thing is that great... you'd find a way to keep hold of it.

There is an awful lot of GASing on here and I can't make up my mind whether people don't know what they are buying or want to have the hippest latest thing or are just dealing...??????????????

Anyway, it is a decent place to pick up stuff...:)

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='814087' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:55 PM']It can happen, and not just with basses-you buy it, play it, and love it, and genuinely believe it's the greatest thing you've ever owned. Then you have it for a while, and the honeymoon period comes to an end, and you start noticing things you don't like which you didn't notice before, in your first flush of enthusiasm. Then something else comes along, the next Big Thing, and the first one has to go. Or perhaps you're searching for some particular sound or feel, and you're experimenting with different basses. Often you go through a few before you find what you're after. So it's not entirely ridiculous to be singing a bass's praises one week and selling it the next.[/quote]

spooky..have we met...that is me!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='814087' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:55 PM']It can happen, and not just with basses-you buy it, play it, and love it, and genuinely believe it's the greatest thing you've ever owned. Then you have it for a while, and the honeymoon period comes to an end, and you start noticing things you don't like which you didn't notice before, in your first flush of enthusiasm. Then something else comes along, the next Big Thing, and the first one has to go. Or perhaps you're searching for some particular sound or feel, and you're experimenting with different basses. Often you go through a few before you find what you're after. So it's not entirely ridiculous to be singing a bass's praises one week and selling it the next.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...You Sure your talking about basses here? Cassanova! :rolleyes: