Why become a member? ×

Do you name your basses?

MacDaddy

I never have, but being a bloke I would have to give them female names. Considering a bass male wouldn't feel right - to me - due to the physical closeness and intimacy of how they are held and played.

I remember someone on here who has a pair of 'Rays and calls them Ashley and Marie-Kate :)

So, do you name your basses and is there a story behind the name?

named em all-all girl´s names too.
Cant help it. :)

My first one I named cause there was a story to it, the rest just sort of happened- some basses have character and that gives rise to the imagining of a personality- and the names reflect the percieved personality- at least for me anyways :rolleyes:

I give them numbers in order of purchase, so No.1 will be the first one I got out of the ones I currently own. If I sell No.1 then all the numbers are automatically shifted in my database according, No2, becomes No.1 and so on...

Yeah I know it might sound anorak-like but I keep a database with where every bass has a record, with fields such as date of purchase, price paid, date last string set (make/gauge) were fitted so I can keep track of average strings wear, also the date in which batteries were fitted so I know how old the batteries, and a brief description of the bass make and model together with mods carried out, pickups, wiring, pots etc etc... when you own many basses you tend to forget these details and it all helps when it comes to moving them on.

I may have to name them in the same vein that Sebastion Vettel names his F1 chassis: 2009 = Kate's Dirty Sister. 2010 = Luscious Liz.

I might have to get slightly more Pompey on it though. Something like "Chantelle's Easy Mate", or "Peroxide Pammy" for my maple SSI :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='812516' date='Apr 20 2010, 01:24 PM']I used too way back in the day, but not anymore. I did however name my classic Mini car Bootsychuggaboom :)[/quote]

Aah, the proper Mini. I had a yellow one as my first car and it was named Floyd. No idea why, but Floyd it was.

My wife has named 2 of my basses. The Sei is Jezebel as it's the other woman and the ACG is called Minnie because it's so big......