Why become a member? ×

Bored with Bass.

paul h

Entirely understandable if you have been at it for years.

I took 18 months out and came back very refreshed.
The only down side was that I lost quite a few calls and so I don't pick up
the gigs I used to. Not too bothered about that as I have a very worthwhile regular
gigging band but something to consider.

Thanks for all the advice people. I am totally happy with what I can, and do play. I am not interested in bass for bass sake. To me it's always just been a rather cool and subversive way of adding something to music.

Trying to learn something new at this late stage would actually kill it completely for me! :rolleyes:

I think a break would be good.

Does that mean I will get banned from BC?

:)

Edited by paul h

[quote name='paul h' post='766661' date='Mar 7 2010, 08:22 AM']Thanks for all the advice people. I am totally happy with what I can, and do play. I am not interested in bass for bass sake. To me it's always just been a rather cool and subversive way of adding something to music.

Trying to learn something new at this late stage would actually kill it completely for me! :lol:

I think a break would be good.

[b]Does that mean I will get banned from BC?[/b]

:)[/quote]

It might if you ask for a guitar forum on BC. Ask velvetkevorkian what response he got from Ped when he suggested it. :rolleyes: (it's in site issues) I'm still laughing just thinking about it.

Over the past 20 odd years of playing bass I've had many spells of leaving the bass alone & playing guitar, keys or whatever but always found after a few months, I'd go back to it (sometimes it was 6 month spells).

From about 2003 to 2006 I hardly touched my bass (I didn't even have a decent amp to play through) & spent most of my music time sitting in front of a computer with Reason on it. 
Then a chap at work said "you play bass don't you Graeme, fancy having a jam?", the rest is history. Now I love playing bass more than ever & can't see me putting it down ever again. 

I do play acoustic guitar in another band, but I'm trying to get someone to replace me so I can play bass. 
I just like the fact that it's a humble instrument. No one acknowledges you're playing but they do when you don't. 

If you're ready to give up bass like that (for however long), I assume you're not in a band?

Personally I find the bass is an instrument that needs to be played with other instruments. Unless I'm doing technical practicing or writing, if I'm on my own I'm way more likely to pick up my guitar.

In a band situation though, holding together the music and slotting into a groove is unbeatable though.

[quote name='paul h' post='766661' date='Mar 7 2010, 08:22 AM']I am totally happy with what I can, and do play.[/quote]

[quote name='paul h' post='766802' date='Mar 7 2010, 12:14 PM']I haven't played in a band in years.[/quote]

These two quotes say it all. That's why you are bored with it.
If you are totally happy with what you can play you will never find any inspiration or
reason to push yourself and make it interesting for you. If you had been in a band or
whatever,there would have been a reason to pick up the bass and maybe do something
different with it.

I have never been totally happy with what I can play.I am always try to push it further and play
even better than I did yesterday.

I went through the same thing a few months ago. No band, no inspiration, felt I had gone as far as I could on bass. In fact, I was tired of music altogether, even listening to it!

I got loads of great advice and support from BC'ers and after a few weeks got myself a couple of auditions. Learning the songs for the auditions got me interested again, and being offered both jobs got me fired up even more! I joined one of the bands and we're having our 4th rehearsal tomorrow night. And although it's quite simple 70's punk, I'm really enjoying it, learning and playing songs that I've never played before.

I say, take a couple of weeks off, look for a band thats just starting out, something different to your usual stuff and you'll be fine.

Whatever you do, do not sell your gear! You'll only regret it and spend a fortune replacing it later on!

I would say I fell completely out of love with playing. I was losing the enthusiass for gigs and hated rehearsals and one day I stopped playing. I had been playing continuously since I left school ....eons... and needed a break although I didn't know if or when I would return. I refused all gigs and all my contacts knew I had stopped.

I was in no hurry to return, I never listened to any music at home, just in the car and one morning I decided to play again..which was at the same time that a couple of old muso mates called me up after at least 15 years, saying they had moved int the area and was I about for a chat/drink
I formed my current band with one of them and hooked up with some more old mates. It all came together very easily and I regard the whole episode as very worthwhile all round.

I am enjoying it so SO much more for the break...although I couldn't foresee that at the time.

So, a very long-winded way of saying put the bass down and pick it up when you feel like it and don't give the reasons why a second thought..

Something will tell you, you don't have to force it... IMO.

P.S never sold my gear though...but I did think about it more than the once, for sure....

[quote name='paul h' post='766283' date='Mar 6 2010, 07:00 PM']As per title. Can't really be bothered anymore.

Message ends.[/quote]

I think you just need a short break. Could you really imagine if you completely gave up on everything bass? :)

I bet if you packed up all of your equipment and put it somewhere that you don't see it everyday, you would suffer from horrible withdrawal symptoms pretty quickly! No peeking!!!

Remember, you didn't choose bass, BASS HAS CHOSEN YOU!! It will find it's way back into your life, even if it's 10 years from now.

I tried it once, it lasted one month. That was about 10 years ago now. I thought " That's it, I'm done, everything I do fails, I am not going to be disappointed by this anymore, I'm tired of being broke, I am tired of trying to find gigs, bla bla bla......"

Needless to say I am still tired of being broke, and all the other stuff but the good still outweighs the bad. :rolleyes:

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide to do!

Craig

I definitely think new projects in bands will make it more exciting.

Buying new gear always makes me super excited to play!

I wouldnt personally give up and sell gear. I have had short 'breaks' were exams and life became very busy (2nd year of Uni I think). I also had poor housing when I moved to Notts and Leeds so I never had nice gear there.

I now have 2 new bands and im super happy to be playing more and more. I have been concentrating on becoming ultra smooth with my fingers, and it is definitely getting there.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='767444' date='Mar 7 2010, 11:29 PM']Buying new gear always makes me super excited to play![/quote]

TBH new gear always means I spend more time tossing about with the new gear than I do playing. Sometimes it's necessary (bigger/better amp, new effects, etc.) but new gear is usually a huge distraction for me and I try to avoid changing gear unless I have a good reason for it.

If I wasn't doing a band I'd be busy writing music and looking for a band to play it. I don't really get this playing bass in isolation thing that some people seem to like.

Y'know what? Just stop.

Pack your gear up and put it somewhere safe. Get off this forum for a month or two and go do something different. If you want to start playing again, you will. No biggie.

We'll be here. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

I stopped playing for a few years. I was working with a multi-instrumentalist songwriter and felt quite limited by my role as just bass. I started playing other instruments and the challenge of that got my interest more than bass.

Fast forward 5yrs and I was really into my new role. I'd always acknowledged I was originally a bass player but I actually stopped playing bass within a couple of years. Then I had an offer to play bass in a friends band. I initially felt dissapointed that I wasn't asked to play something else but he knew I'd played bass before and only needed a bassist. Pretty much from the first rehearsal I refound my love of bass.

The upshot is go do something else for a while. As Skankdelvar says we'll still be here & you'll be back. :)

[quote name='paul h' post='766283' date='Mar 6 2010, 07:00 PM']As per title. Can't really be bothered anymore.

Message ends.[/quote]

Variety is the spice of etc., there's always something else to play. Spend most of the time with the main 3 - drums, bass, guitar, but stints on the accordion or banjo are always good. Currently playing alot of guitar as I've just been given a lovely old Hofner archtop. Glorious old gent, he is. Failed experiments include violin and trumpet... Neither were pleasant for anyone within earshot.

I would add another 'don't sell your gear' though. I've done that a few times and [i]always[/i] regretted it.

Yep, been there and done it. My decision to stop playing really came down to exhaustion... new baby on the way, tiring job, creatively exciting band but getting nowhere... it mounted up and in the end I said enough. Took 9 months off and sold everything which included all my Mark Bass gear etc :) The break was the best thing I ever did! Obviously now trying to get back what I lost... but I did learn a valuable lesson: you don't need all the fancy gear you think you need in order to play well and just have a good time! The urge to play again slowly crept back in, and after a while myself and some other friends formed a nice simple blues band. What I like about the blues band is quite straight forward, I get to be more creative... especially as many of the tunes have similar chord structures, the challenge becomes about retaining originality but also keeping the band grounded. I'm finding that very rewarding as a player. I also think that the blues band has helped mature me as a player too. Having a break can be one of the best things you can do.

Well, I am far from being a master, unless of course you want to add a couple of syllables after that!

All I have ever wanted from bass is to be able to write and play the bass lines I hear in my head. Which I generally can do, so I don't feel compelled to "work" at the instrument at all. For me it's just one element of music anyway. For years now I have spent far more time programming with Reason than playing live instruments. I do however think I could work at my guitar playing a lot. I have played guitar in a couple of bands but never with any degree of "ability".

More important for me is to be passionate about music. Which is something I have lacked for a while. Maybe changing things up for a bit will rekindle the flames.

Not literal flames.

That would be dangerous.