Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bored with Bass.

paul h

There you go. Obviously your interests have moved on from bass guitar. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Go where your inspiration takes you. If composing with Reason is what fuels you creatively then that's what you should be doing. Whether or not to sell your bass gear? If you can use the money you'll raise to buy something more inspirational then do it, TBH only keep it if you don't need the cash. If you ever come back to the bass, the technology will have probably moved on and you'll have fun choosing something new to play.

I went through something similar when my last serious band split in 2002. Luckily within 6 months I got involved in a new musical project that involved me mainly working on my own rather than with people that outside of the band I had little in common with (a major factor in the previous band split), and in a completely different musical direction. That all did wonders for getting me out of my musical rut and keeping me inspired.

[quote name='paul h' post='767618' date='Mar 8 2010, 09:30 AM']Well, I am far from being a master, unless of course you want to add a couple of syllables after that!

All I have ever wanted from bass is to be able to write and play the bass lines I hear in my head. Which I generally can do, so I don't feel compelled to "work" at the instrument at all.[/quote]
You are bored of yourself, not of the bass. I know how it feels. Your imagination is where the problem lies.

What I have just done is listen to Scott Thunes playing some difficult and beautiful arpeggios in some Zappa numbers and tried to learn them. It's hard, it has challenged me and now I want to learn loads of arpeggio movements and understand some of the theory behind them. The thing is, I have bands to which I can apply this new-found inspiration, so I have an outlet for it. If you haven't, then I understand the "what's the point" attitude. By all means flog your gear and get a Strat.

I gave up bass for over a year when I was out of a band. For me it's all about playing with other people when I play bass, so in that period I focused on guitar. Eventually got the bug again and now I'm back in the fold, as it were. Swings and roundabouts.

[quote name='silddx' post='767732' date='Mar 8 2010, 11:27 AM']You are bored of yourself, not of the bass. I know how it feels. Your imagination is where the problem lies.

What I have just done is listen to Scott Thunes playing some difficult and beautiful arpeggios in some Zappa numbers and tried to learn them. It's hard, it has challenged me and now I want to learn loads of arpeggio movements and understand some of the theory behind them. The thing is, I have bands to which I can apply this new-found inspiration, so I have an outlet for it. If you haven't, then I understand the "what's the point" attitude. By all means flog your gear and get a Strat.[/quote]

Ahh, I can't agree with this I'm afraid. Firstly my imagination is fine thank you very much. I have plenty of creative outlets that are not bass related. In fact many members of this forum wear them! :) Musically I still write, program and record stuff, although admittedly not with the voracity I used to. And on a personal note, I have never found anything even slightly creative or imaginative in trying to learn other peoples music. I find far more satisfaction in writing a simple, original, riff than I ever would being able to play some widdly widdly stuff by *insert name here. But that's just me.

I appreciate everybody's advice and good will but I think we are reading a bit too much into it. I have been playing bass for 25 years and I am currently a bit bored with it.

Think of me as The Roots...going on tour with a tuba player instead of a bass player.

[quote name='paul h' post='767765' date='Mar 8 2010, 11:50 AM']Ahh, I can't agree with this I'm afraid. Firstly my imagination is fine thank you very much. I have plenty of creative outlets that are not bass related. In fact many members of this forum wear them! :) Musically I still write, program and record stuff, although admittedly not with the voracity I used to. And on a personal note, I have never found anything even slightly creative or imaginative in trying to learn other peoples music. I find far more satisfaction in writing a simple, original, riff than I ever would being able to play some widdly widdly stuff by *insert name here. But that's just me.

I appreciate everybody's advice and good will but I think we are reading a bit too much into it. I have been playing bass for 25 years and I am currently a bit bored with it.

Think of me as The Roots...going on tour with a tuba player instead of a bass player.[/quote]
Alright, chill, I wasn't having a dig. Imagination for THE BASS is what I was talking about, not your cross-stitching ability. We all get tired of everything we do from time to time, don't let it knock your self-esteem.

I think your statement about learning other people's music is highly misguided and there is a whiff of superiority about the way you phrased it. If you are one of those humans who feel they can't learn from other people and expand on it creatively, that's a big problem in my book.

As for your OP ..

[i]"As per title. Can't really be bothered anymore. Message ends."[/i] and [i]"I appreciate everybody's advice and good will but I think we are reading a bit too much into it. I have been playing bass for 25 years and I am currently a bit bored with it."[/i]

.. why did you bother starting a thread if you were not being solicitous of a possible solution? Did you really mean "bored"? I heard a phrase once that stuck with me, "only boring people get bored". Not saying that applies to you.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='767852' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:47 PM'][i]"As per title. Can't really be bothered anymore. Message ends."[/i] and [i]"I appreciate everybody's advice and good will but I think we are reading a bit too much into it. I have been playing bass for 25 years and I am currently a bit bored with it."[/i]

.. why did you bother starting a thread if you we're not being solicitous of a possible solution? Did you really mean "bored"? I heard a phrase once that stuck with me, "only boring people get bored". Not saying that applies to you.[/quote]

I'm glad someone pointed that out. I was worried it was going to have to be me. Again.

[quote name='Toasted' post='767855' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:49 PM']I'm glad someone pointed that out. I was worried it was going to have to be me. Again.[/quote]
:)

Well, you know, this is a "FORUM". It's just weird when people get out their sandwich board and walk about with cotton wool in their ears, then have a crack at anyone who posts an opinion, especially if it challenges their POV.

TIP: If you want to put your sandwich board on and stroll around town with your ear defenders on, at least write something interesting on it.

Personally I think being a bassist has to have some sort of 'goal'.

I'm close to being between bands at the moment and find I'm not playing so much because I don't have anything to learn for tomorrow's gig or rehearsal. To me playing is as much about social interaction as music, if I was stuck in a bedroom wacking out the same old songs.....well that's just a bit sad and if that's where you are with bass that you should sell up and pack it in -I know I would. For me I won't sell up (though I may move some equipment on) and I would look for a new outlet/challenge - I've always fancied mandolin for instance.

The fact that you have posted on here means (despite your protestations) you are 'semi-open' to a solution. If not, move on to something else and don't waste anyone's time navel gazing ;-)

Calm down, calm down!

:)

There is certainly no need to get heated! First of all let me apologise if I sounded superior, it wasn't my intention at all. Of course I learn from other people, I learn from other people every day. In all walks of life. But I stand by my statement that for me, personally, I find no value in copying other musicians. I absorb, reinterpret and am influenced by other musicians of course, but for me, learning somebody else's work holds no creative value. Technical exercise yes, but sitting down and trying work out some guy's technique or bass lines leaves me cold.

I have never done it. Even when I played in covers bands I used to learn the chord structure and improvise the bass line on the night. That's my whole raison d'être for music. I want it to come from me as much as possible. Spontaneity and freshness are what I love about (my) music most.

And as for why I started the thread? I just wanted to share. I was not looking for a solution although I am very touched that people have taken the time to offer theirs. If I have done something wrong by starting a thread without a clear purpose then maybe we should just let it die.

I'd be surprised if we didn't all have these kind of moments. I know when I see someone who is brilliant something inside me dies. However, after 28 years of playing the bass, I started to learn the drums. That's been a gas right from the start. It not only has created another interest and another string to my bow, but it also makes me reevaluate the way I think about the bass.

Cheers
Davo

I used to be a motorcycle nut for 10 years and one day I decided that I could not be ars*d with bikes. Don`t know why but that was over 2 years ago and people told me not to sell, keep a hold of it, you will get back into it. I gave it up, sold all my gear and bike and started to use the car. And do you know what? It`s the best thing I have ever done. Not missed it once.

Sometimes you just have to move on and go with your feelings.

Yours Paul McKenna.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

Killed by a PM I'm afraid guys :) Look elsewhere, like the Bulger thread. Oh, that got killed too.

Paul doesn't want any help or sage advice. He's happy being bored with bass I believe. We had a nice chat about it and I understand his position now.

[quote name='silddx' post='769022' date='Mar 9 2010, 11:31 AM']Killed by a PM I'm afraid guys :rolleyes: Look elsewhere, like the Bulger thread. Oh, that got killed too.

Paul doesn't want any help or sage advice. He's happy being bored with bass I believe. We had a nice chat about it and I understand his position now.[/quote]

Booo - thats just too mature an approach for a public forum :) :lol:

Think I came over a bit 'aggressive' in my earlier post when I read it back (don't you hate the way the English language doesn't always convey your intended meaning especially when you speak Yorkshire like what I do). Sorry for that PH.

At the end of the day, if bass no longer has any draw for you or you have no use for it (new band, project, pulling the ladies/guys as the case may be - trying to be modern non-sexist there) then it's time to 'off it' and get into something more deserving of your time/aspirations. As many have already said, we all have days when it doesn't appeal but when days turn to weeks and then months.......