Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Fun pics from Saturday's gig (where I seem to have picked up a dose of Covid!)

https://www.facebook.com/albums/7338482506175580/

not able to view the link i'm afraid. When i copy over from FB i remove the s from the https and then copy over

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

If I want to show photos from Facebook posts I save them onto my computer and then re-host them somewhere more universally accessible.

Regarding Spotify payments - it's not a fixed amount per play. From looking at my data from this year the amount depends on both when and where the stream occurred. In the UK earlier this year I was getting several months of over 0.5¢ per stream. Last month each US-based stream was only worth 0.2¢. However extrapolating my figures to 1 millions streams would have netted me around $5000 after my aggregator has taken their cut. And that's only for the "mechanicals". 

One of my bands has managed to get a song onto a fairly popular Goth playlist which is currently getting 50-100 streams a day. If it's still getting that kind of attention this time next year that will give a far better indication of what a decent amount of streams pays.

Of course the real money is in the performance royalties for the songwriters, and streaming even from the better paying services is minuscule compared with what a couple of plays on National Radio will bring it. Best get writing those Christmas songs....

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Merton said:

Just played at two of the annual Great Ormond Street Christmas parties.

Met Lewis Hamilton’s W14 and, far more excitingly, Emma Bunton.

The actual playing bit? Can’t remember. I met Emma Bunton 🥰

2fe4c207-6187-4116-8eb3-d2bfa5f31580.thumb.jpeg.c830908db1ed97ef4d917fbd4c70f80a.jpeg

Lewis front and centre?😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Merton said:

Just played at two of the annual Great Ormond Street Christmas parties.

Met Lewis Hamilton’s W14 and, far more excitingly, Emma Bunton.

The actual playing bit? Can’t remember. I met Emma Bunton 🥰

2fe4c207-6187-4116-8eb3-d2bfa5f31580.thumb.jpeg.c830908db1ed97ef4d917fbd4c70f80a.jpeg

So you also play in another band with another female singer I work with? Not just Wendy.... but Sally as well?! Small world!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cetera said:

So you also play in another band with another female singer I work with? Not just Wendy.... but Sally as well?! Small world!

Blimey! Certainly is! Sally is the sometime-singer, it’s a bit of a rotating door with singers and drummers. Her brother Pete sometimes plays with this band too 😀

Edited by Merton
  • Like 2

Monday night was a Christmas concert with the youth orchestra that my teacher runs. Like the concert in June he asked several adults to play with the kids, mostly to fill out the low end and I was one of the people he asked. It was a great evening with a very enthusiastic audience of family members and friends. About 35 kids from 6 to 19 were in the orchestra with the youngest only playing on the simpler pieces.

In the photo you can see the other bassist (15 years old) as well as amps and drums that are not usually in this orchestra but were necessary for "Wish Liszt" by the Trans Siberian Railway and it was a very challenging piece for me and several other adults but the kids breezed through it. Some more traditional orchestral works and a fun version of "Boomwhacker Christmas" that the audience and orchestra members loved filled out the programme.

Lots of practicing for me but my bowing technique is getting better and I hope to play with them again, it's great fun but a bit intimidating playing with kids who are 71 years younger than I am and can play better than the old man on the bass.😊

IMG_0913.jpg

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 12

On 16/12/2023 at 13:15, mrtcat said:

Played under Concord last Friday for a Xmas bash.. Not all companies are struggling. £250k budget for the staff party.

20231208_183134.thumb.jpg.67f63b0095a8dabbc95aebe1f5f9e9ac.jpg

Played there a few years ago, spent most of my time looking up at the wings and rivets and stuff...probably my favourite venue of all...

• Like 3

On 18/12/2023 at 06:10, Bluewine said:

I will. You would think they would have an application scaled down for bass and cheaper.

Daryl

That'd be the Helix Stomp, then...there's a lot of good stuff in a big thread hereabouts about the Stomp, but the short version is I use mine every gig, more often than not without any backline at all. I've got some great tones out of it. The new update has an Orange AD200 amp model in it, and it's very, very good...

• Like 1

While we're talking festive gigs, we've been asked for our (pub) NYE gig to play 5 x 30 min sets, starting at 8pm, and with half an hour in between each...never encountered this before, and I'm inclined to think it'll make the evening very staccato between live music and DJ'd tunes...apparently the landlord's idea...

Anyone done this setup before?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Muzz said:

While we're talking festive gigs, we've been asked for our (pub) NYE gig to play 5 x 30 min sets, starting at 8pm, and with half an hour in between each...never encountered this before, and I'm inclined to think it'll make the evening very staccato between live music and DJ'd tunes...apparently the landlord's idea...

If it's a decent payer, why not?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Depends on the audience. Be careful you are not playing to people who when the band are on, clear the dancefloor and are just waiting for the DJ to play the latest songs from the Hit Parade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Is he on any illegal medication ? 

How to kill a bands atmosphere. I even grudge stopping for a 15min break in the middle of our sets.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Looks like they can't be shared, not on my profile.

Here's a couple. Love playing teh EH as Barry takes great pics 🤣

410252237_7338462246177606_7376501404995913769_n.thumb.jpg.9442f600d4ae38b7aa8a6b6cacfe507e.jpg

411940252_7338463849510779_7658069378364996377_n.thumb.jpg.e388bcc9743e3a88b6cf2eef38e3bc4a.jpg

411833791_7338463166177514_948608625541876454_n.thumb.jpg.09ec3bf328fce313a7f619ff9c48c0ab.jpg

That P bass is very nice and putting me in the mood for a decent sunburst P bass.

Dave

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Muzz said:

I mean, if the money's good then do what they want but thats pretty much a guaranteed way of playing to a half empty dancefloor. You'll have to start from scratch 5 times and as soon as you get them going you'll be saying "this is our last song before we take a 30min break". Sounds like a landlord who doesn't really have much experience of how itll work.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Muzz said:

we've been asked for our (pub) NYE gig to play 5 x 30 min sets, starting at 8pm, and with half an hour in between each...never encountered this before, and I'm inclined to think it'll make the evening very staccato between live music and DJ'd tunes...apparently the landlord's idea...

hmm.. wouldn't be keen on that, a lot of waiting around while you have to be there for 5 hours. We have done some odd times at nye, but not that odd.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That P bass is very nice and putting me in the mood for a decent sunburst P bass.

Dave

It's an AVII 1960 which cost several fingers and toes, if not an arm and a leg. Somehow it manages to LOOK vintage, I think it's the faint grain and very narrow band of orange compared to a modern sunburst.

<edit>

Found this...

image-jpg.670436

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

Not sure if this counts as a gig, but yesterday saw the funeral of a friend, John Benbow, who used to run an open mic night at the Roadhouse in Birmingham. I took Mrs Zero to it, which started her singing in public, and I became the house bassist. After the funeral there was a wake cum open mic night, with various people playing a lot of Lennon/Beatles and Dylan songs (John's favourites), and me getting back together with a guitarist I haven't played with for about 15 years to do a couple of songs. Sadly this means that the only two members of the old house band still extant are the drummer and I, we've lost two lead guitarists plus John.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

39 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's an AVII 1960 which cost several fingers and toes, if not an arm and a leg. Somehow it manages to LOOK vintage, I think it's the faint grain and very narrow band of orange compared to a modern sunburst.

<edit>

Found this...

image-jpg.670436

Yep some of them just look so nice while others not so much even tho they are all sunburst. Yours has it. Lovely.

Is it a wide nut. ? that's what puts me off some P basses.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Muzz said:

We once played an NYE gig with 3x1hr slots with long gaps between ( I forget how long but in the order of 30-40 minutes) but we were covering for a second band that was due to share the bill but had failed to turn up. It was made easier by the longer set time and the audience, who were constantly changing as this was the first (or last depending on the route) pub in a local pub crawl trail. 5x30 minutes is strange. Can you count on the DJ to keep the mood going? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Franticsmurf said:

We once played an NYE gig with 3x1hr slots with long gaps between ( I forget how long but in the order of 30-40 minutes) but we were covering for a second band that was due to share the bill but had failed to turn up. It was made easier by the longer set time and the audience, who were constantly changing as this was the first (or last depending on the route) pub in a local pub crawl trail. 5x30 minutes is strange. Can you count on the DJ to keep the mood going? 

You'd like to think a DJ on NYE would do more than just play Spotify from their laptop through a PA, some patter/banter should be part of their schtick

• Like 2

On 20/12/2023 at 11:51, Muzz said:

A former band played a few gigs in a couple of pubs in Munich. Those were four 30 minute sets with 30 minute gaps between them. It worked quite well - it got very hot and we were glad of the breaks. No DJ between sets though. Conversely, I've played a gig where we played for 45 minutes or so then a DJ came on for an hour or so, then we returned, and it wrecked the flow.

• Like 2