Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just came home. It was wet outside. Both ways. Place was small, good sound. Everything was going well, few surprises from the song choices, but managed. People were dancing and happy. They drank a lot. We got good food, others had even wine, I was driving.

I noticed one elder lady with a short dress, and red shoes. I complimented her shoes while passed her. I had to go back, and whisper that actually her legs were perfect, too. That blink in her eyes made my eve... most probably hers, too.

By the way, never put YMCA and Gimme gimme gimme side by side. Right hand fingers hurt after those swift octaves.

• Like 7

Last one of the year for me tonight (Sat 16th). 4 Play 🤨 at Smith’s in Bourne. Good! 9 til 11:20, two sets. Played well, chucked in Can’t Get Enough without rehearsal and it was fine. Fairly quiet but everyone enjoyed it!

Tight setup, and struggling for power points (I give in - I’ll bring my box of cables in future, it’s not my band / PA but…). Drummer had an amazing new sparkle green Gretsch. Bloody lovely!

• Like 9

Just arrived back home from our final gig of the year from "The globe" in Glossop. Great gig. Sold out, great audience. Main band were on top form as well. Fantastic way to end the year. Right now it's nearly 3am and I'm flipping knackered. Have a good Christmas everyone and a happy new year. Bring on 2024.

Edited by BassFace1991
  • Like 11

Last gig of the year (and surprise definitely last gig featuring our now former singer) with Nine Lives at Wilsons in Aberdeen.  Decent crowd, busy with Xmas parties and whatnot so quite a few new faces.  Lots of folk up for dancing and had some good fun with them, lots of nods, winks, air guitarring, general nonsense.  It petered out a bit towards the end as the parties moved on but the regulars stayed and we had fun with them too!  Also Gordon the "guitarist" was in attendance to show us up as usual!

Great gig, a much more fitting sendoff for our singer (as the previous gig was a bit on the quiet side).  But that's definitely it now - we've been having a rotten time finding a replacement but we've got someone hopefully coming for an audition on Tuesday so fingers crossed!

Gear revamp too, which went really well.  Pedal reshuffle - I've finally grown up and am using a compressor now, an old Yamaha one that I forgot I had and I have replaced my OD with a Joyo Monomyth which gives me EQ, OD and DI in one box.  I'm really enjoying the compressor - this isn't revelatory when written down, but my fingers are still in disbelief at the joy of not having to pluck so damn hard to achieve the same net result.  Also with its level control I basically have a master volume at my feet, controls some of my more lively basses before it even gets to the amp.  Bass was sounding phat and authorative last night, chunky and tight but not obtrusive or obnoxious.  I'm sold.

Basses used last night - G&L Tribute LB-100 and Reverend Triad.

20231216Wilsonsgear1.thumb.jpg.eddfece5180782729636fe2b4d49b621.jpg 20231216Wilsonsgear2.thumb.jpg.911ded5f4a4ba7999f2096786e1e78bd.jpg

• Like 16

2nd of our Xmas gigs last night at Methil Ex-Services Club with BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band. Another Sold Out gig for us with 170 people in. Looked like a few ladies party nights in plus people down from Dundee to see us too so that was all good fun.

All went really well and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have to say its the first time i've ever seen anyone (singer) having to explain how to open a Xmas cracker. I think it was more down to the fact the young lady was well oiled. 

Xmas songs worked really well and some folks that have seen us a few times said we should leave them in the set thru the year. :santa2:

Feedback was that everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves with a few encores and requests to "just keep playing" :laugh1:

1.5hrs drive each way so not horrendous but gusting sidewinds made it a very focused drive home.

Invited back during summer again.  

No vids or pics yet other than singer's pic of stage after soundcheck.

2 more Xmas gigs next weekend and then a Hogmanay gig to finish.

Dave

image.thumb.png.7e189b39fdc36384ec50d0b6e2ab5d85.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 21

Back at the Earl Haig last night with Bluesfire. Front bar for the first time. Got there at 7:15 and it was already busy, thought there must be a band in the concert room... no! Probably just the xmas effect 🤣

Packed in a lot of stuff with lights etc. Sound was great but we had a couple  of tech issues... nearly did an instrumental of Susie Q but the mic got sorted half way through. These put me a bit off kilter, and guitarist was tired so I felt we were not up to the standard of our last couple of gigs.

But audience was happy, lots of people telling us how much they enjoyed it. Young Alex's other band have just had their layest single on heavy rotation by the BBC (The Rogues) so big things ahead for him, we hope.

Icing on the cake, woke up to see this amazing pic by Barry Morris who feeds my rock star delusions.

FB_IMG_1702810078419.thumb.jpg.21daff38f007061f49ac3afcd4d8bb3c.jpg

• Like 20

Another great ska night at my local social club. Everyone else's turn to do the long drive :lol: normally I'm the one with the 2 hour round trip. Utterly lovely sound from the SpectorGenzBarefaced trio of doom, as ever. My send/return stomp has developed a fault, so there's a little job for some point before NYE. 

• Like 15

A rather last-minute gig for Dirty Roses - the original booking for last night got cancelled as the agency and the pub had both booked a band in, and the pub's booking took precedence. Then on Tuesday we got asked to play at the Old Horse in Lie Sester, and so as not to let our three Christmas songs go to waste, we said yes. A bit of a trek for the guitarists, a bit less so for me and the drummer. Turned out to be a very friendly place, including the outlaw bikers at the back of the room, and larger than we'd expected. Our area was bijou but fitted us nicely (good job there's just the four of us). Not only did we have the bar staff dancing, there was a group of line dancers having their Christmas party and they gave it large for various songs (including, bizarrely, "Should I stay or should I go"). We're hoping to get back in there next year.

• Like 14

Last gig of the year for Fine Lines, playing at our local little Theatre, which also doubles as our rehearsal room and tracking studio.

We decided to include "Fairytale of New York" which was only suggested after the last rehearsal, so we had to learn our parts individually. We're an originals band, not a covers one, so we didn't have it in our pocket already. It became quickly evident during soundcheck that some people probably hadn't put in quite as much as they should have done and underestimated how deceptively tricky it is (at least for us!) When we came to play it in anger, as the encore, we had a couple of false starts, but managed to style it out by all blaming the keys player 🤣 Once it got going, it went pretty well and the audience seemed to like it.

We added two new numbers, which will be on the next album. They both went ok, despite me having some sort of mental breakdown during the introduction to one of them. I was playing the right notes, even in the right order, but I had a moment where I thought everyone else was playing the other song.

I went ampless for this one, as I had enough time to get a monitor mix I was happy, so the trio of Origin pedals, plus the Shure wireless took care of DI duty.

I used wireless IEMs for this one, again because I had the time to set it up, so now we're down to just drums and keys using wedges and I'm working on the keys player.

Anyway, here's a photo.

FB_IMG_1702833426121.jpg

• Like 15

Depped on bass last night with Dire Streets at Bingley Little Theatre. A longer-than expected journey and sound-check meant there was little time for secondary activities such as eating, but the gig went very well and all the tech worked. As usual though it took me half a set of actual performance to get used to the sonic environment of IEMs.

• Like 10

On 16/12/2023 at 03:05, dmccombe7 said:

Keep me posted if you go down this route as i am also kind of interested in no backline once i can persuade the drummer who owns the PA that it would be  easy and fast set ups on stage.

Dave

I will. You would think they would have an application scaled down for bass and cheaper.

Daryl

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 03:07, dmccombe7 said:

Rubbish you're still doing ok without the hat Daryl altho it kinda suits you especially in the US. Not so much over here unless its a Country & Western style band.

Dave

Yeah, your right Dave. Over here you can weasel a cowboy hat into any genre.

Daryl

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep those two are the basics for a Xmas show over here. Love playing them too.

Trying to remember the different chorus's is fun. All different chorus endings. :laugh1:

Dave :santa2:

Yeah, the bassline to the Slade tune is quite fun to play. Our singist/de facto BL flat out refuses to do any Christmas songs, so I use that bassline as my soundcheck at this time of year 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Yeah, the bassline to the Slade tune is quite fun to play. Our singist/de facto BL flat out refuses to do any Christmas songs, so I use that bassline as my soundcheck at this time of year 😂

It goes with our band image being a 70's Glam covers band and we've been getting requests to play them since start Nov.

We do a couple of others like Mud Lonely This Xmas and lesser known one by The Sweet, Let It Snow.

Dave

• Like 2